The only class I see capable of soloing the game without using cheese tactics or exploits is Fighter. Once well geared, they can deflect blows, endure a lot of pain, and at the same time deal out a reliable, steady stream of damage. You'd also need a big pocket full of healing potions, of course. However, I think getting through the early levels while trying to gear up would be a pain in the ass. Still, can't see anybody else soloing the game, unless as said, cheese perma-kiting tactics or exploits are used and not fixed in time by the devs.

Edited by Emerwyn

So far the best solo build is a defensive kiting Chanter, because you can summon creatures to do damage for you while you run around in circles. AI is still borked at the moment though.

LOL. I can imagine Mr. Sawyer's bitter tears of anguish reading that comment. Hilarious.

but to the OP, no. Possible only in the definitive sense. Otherwise wildly unrealistic.

• 4 months later...

Well, it is July now and the game has been out for 3 months.

If you look around the forums, and Google it a bit, you will find that not only is a Monk Triple Crown Solo possible, so is Ranger, Wizard, Fighter, Chanter, Cipher, Rogue.  But the big favorite for soloing seems to be that Robert E. Howard classic, the Barbarian.

Me, I just sort of slipped into soloing my Monk because the first couple of maps after Client Lis sort of force you to solo for awhile anyway (as opposed to the BG default party of 2 > quickly 4).

She is now 12th level without really starting Act 3 yet.  At this point I HAVE gathered up all the Compainions at Caed Nua, since I never really intended to do without them anyway, and each of them has a Quest of some sort, with goodies to be collected.  It is clear, from recent play in my game, and from reading on the web, that my Monk should have no impossible task finishing the scripted game solo if I wish.  Due to some uneducated build choices, I may have some insurmountable problems with the Master Below and Thaos with this particular build which may be impossible to work around without starting again with a modified Monk build.

Interesting point about reaching L12 with your Charname this early.  If you then circle back & pick up each of the Companions, at the moment of pick up or while on that same map (don't go in a building), you can immediately manually build that Companion through all 11 levels so they are L12 along with your Charname.  If you travel with them before leveling, to the house at Caed Nua for instance, then it appears you will only be able to construct them to L10.

When you read dated complaints on the web that taking Companions late means that the builds will be decided for you, and gimped, don't believe it.  As of 1.06 at least, whenever you pick up a Companion, you get to build the earlier levels yourself, just as if the Companion had leveled along with your Charname.

BTW, if you have the patience to do the first half of the game solo, this is probably THE fastest way to max out all Compainions and create a kickass party for the late and end game.

BTW, it seems to help any solo character if they become a figurine collector.

vr

dreamrider

Given how often my party wipes, the thought of someone soloing this game with any class is kind of unnerving.

It comes down to preparation.

And that unwritten Attribute, Patience.

(After you get about 3 levels ahead of the content, it gets way easier.)

Edited by dreamrider

Given how often my party wipes, the thought of someone soloing this game with any class is kind of unnerving.

And that unwritten Attribute, Patience.

(After you get about 3 levels ahead of the content, it gets way easier.)

Thanks - don't get me wrong, I didn't want my post to sound like a complaint, and I apologise if it did...I would far rather a game that challenged me constantly than one where the only challenge in combat was learning the (awful) keyboard/mouse controls (I'm looking at you, DA:I).

The game has gotten easier, as you say, with levelling and with a growing understanding of the mechanics, but I think I am still a LONG way from even considering a solo run-through.  Much admiration for those that can do it.

There wouldn't be anything wrong with complaining anyway. That's your God given right and we respect it here on the Obsidz boards. :Cant's wolfish grin icon:

Seriously, though, I don't mind folks complaining it's too hard to solo the game, although it can sometimes be frustrating because the game was clearly meant to be tough enough to require a party. Folks who solo want bragging rights (yeah yeah, cue protests (both too many and too loudly to be genuine in every case)) and you can't brag about your cool solo run if it's easy. It *should* be hard.

I know you weren't complaining, DKReborn, but no biggie even if you were. At least you weren't one of those folks who complains about every game being too easy while he polishes his fingernails on his shirt and then hooks his thumbs behind his suspenders. <.<

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!