Pax East Discussion

@Luckmann: Edair was sold/pitched as a Fighter, then they made Edér into a Rogue (because I believe Obsidian wanted him to be a Rogue), then they changed him back to a Fighter again. Why? Probably a design & Kickstarter pitch combination of reasons.

A) Many people enjoy playing a Rogue (or Thief) due to stealth mechanics that are included/implied (There are no Rogue, Monk or Barbarian companions = Something must have something to do with popularity).
B) Making Edér a Rogue would've meant no Fighter companion (most likely), and in every single typical RPG (with a cast of characters), there's always at least one Fighter.
C) Edair was pitched as a Fighter, but Edér kind of both sounds like a Rogue and looks like a Rogue. If I had been Obsidian, I'd probably looked/flirted at that design decision too.

We now know that Edér was a farm boy from a village and that he did something that upset his fellow villagers and he was cast out. It sounds "Rogue"-like (a vagabond). The question is... what did Edér do...? Chances are that Obsidian do have an in-game Rogue design for Edér that you might be able to unlock (depending on if Obsidian were inspired by the feedback of allowing to switch Edér to a Rogue, granted that his narrative supports it... a gigantic "IF" it supports it).

Meaning, Edér might have a Rogue-kit that Obsidian has made, before they gave him the Fighter-kit. Most likely it only exists on paper/in internal Obsidian developer/design-notes.

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

We now know that Edér was a farm boy from a village and that he did something that upset his fellow villagers and he was cast out. It sounds "Rogue"-like (a vagabond). The question is... what did Edér do...? Chances are that Obsidian do have an in-game Rogue design for Edér that you might be able to unlock (depending on if Obsidian were inspired by the feedback of allowing to switch Edér to a Rogue, granted that his narrative supports it... a gigantic "IF" it supports it).

Edér worshipped the wrong god and fought on the side that killed his god.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I think he's better off as a Fighter anyway. You want to make your own Rogue with the correct attributes, skills, abilities and talents and blow mafkers away with Lead Spitter Backstab Sneak Attacks, tbh.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 2

Yeah, they were right to make him a fighter. Every party needs at least one, and most people probably won't be fighters on their PC. 

It is surprising to me that there aren't rogue, monk, and barbarian companions -- maybe planned for an expansion?

They have 11 classes and they were able to make only 8 companions. 

Yeah, they were right to make him a fighter. Every party needs at least one, and most people probably won't be fighters on their PC. 

It is surprising to me that there aren't rogue, monk, and barbarian companions -- maybe planned for an expansion?

What about Forton?  Is he not a companion anymore?

That's a negative Ghost Rider.  Here is the complete NPC companion list -

Eder - Human Male Fighter and one of the original five advertised companions though he has gone through tons of edits.

Aloth - Wood Elf Male Wizard and also one of the original five.

Hiravias - Hearth Orlan Male Druid.

Sagani - Boreal Dwarf Female Ranger also one of the original five and the last of them to make the cuts.

Durance - Human Male Priest, basically a replacement for Cadegund AKA: the chick with the gun and red hair.

Kana Rua - Coastal Amaua Male Chanter.

Grieving Mother - Undead/Spirit/Who Knows Female Cipher, she replaced what was at one point going to be a Orlan Detective Cipher.

Pallegina - Hylean Godlike Female Paladin.

Edited by Karkarov

I believe their stated reason was "We want the player to meet Eder really early and we want the player to have access to a beefy fighter really early so we switched him back."

Which to me is like the most "BOOOO!" reason ever.

There's no need for any one class, and I believe that was even a stated design goal. Edér as a Fighter doesn't fulfil anything one of the beefier classes couldn't already, although I do see the issue here in that there's only a mere 8 companions, and out of those, the only ones that probably qualifies for the role would be Edér as a Fighter, Pallegina, or, like, Kana Rua, the last one unintuitively so.

I guess it was just the easiest to change Edér into Fighter, with so very very CNPC:s in the game, rather than to keep him as a more fitting and interesting rogue. I can't help but to feel that it was the easy way out, but.. I do see the reasons. They haven't got a whole lot of wiggle room, since most other characters are very locked into their classes and most of them aren't really tanky at all.

Is there anyone here we can saddle with the job of making a savegame editor when the game comes out? I'm going to need it.. for.. reasons.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

I like NPC fighters more than rogues. Rogues are rarely spec'd like I want them to be anyway, and they tend to be really annoying/clichés. The only reason why I bring any along is to deal with locks and traps. Now that the skill is seperate from the class, screw rogues.

Fighters also tend to be boring and cliché. It'd be nice to have the semi-dark witty snark in a fighter for a change. Plus I tend to roleplay somewhere around the neutral good alignments, and rogues tend to be either unbelievable from a roleplay perspective. Sure they'll decline the reward. And they won't pickpocket the party and leave them high and dry at the first opportunity.

That being said, one of the most enjoyable and memorable characters I made in D&D was a LG Dwarven rogue.

I believe their stated reason was "We want the player to meet Eder really early and we want the player to have access to a beefy fighter really early so we switched him back."

Which to me is like the most "BOOOO!" reason ever.

There's no need for any one class, and I believe that was even a stated design goal. Edér as a Fighter doesn't fulfil anything one of the beefier classes couldn't already, although I do see the issue here in that there's only a mere 8 companions, and out of those, the only ones that probably qualifies for the role would be Edér as a Fighter, Pallegina, or, like, Kana Rua, the last one unintuitively so.

I guess it was just the easiest to change Edér into Fighter, with so very very CNPC:s in the game, rather than to keep him as a more fitting and interesting rogue. I can't help but to feel that it was the easy way out, but.. I do see the reasons. They haven't got a whole lot of wiggle room, since most other characters are very locked into their classes and most of them aren't really tanky at all.

Is there anyone here we can saddle with the job of making a savegame editor when the game comes out? I'm going to need it.. for.. reasons.

Yeah, no one class is Needed if you know what you're doing, but if you don't know what you're doing, in this game, yeah, you almost certainly need at least one fighter just to fill the tank role, and there aren't many other options as you point out. Difference between what you CAN do and what's easy for new players to do.

That's a negative Ghost Rider.  Here is the complete NPC companion list -

Eder - Human Male Fighter and one of the original five advertised companions though he has gone through tons of edits.

Aloth - Wood Elf Male Wizard and also one of the original five.

Hiravias - Hearth Orlan Male Druid.

Sagani - Boreal Dwarf Female Ranger also one of the original five and the last of them to make the cuts.

Durance - Human Male Priest, basically a replacement for Cadegund AKA: the chick with the gun and red hair.

Kana Rua - Coastal Amaua Male Chanter.

Grieving Mother - Undead/Spirit/Who Knows Female Cipher, she replaced what was at one point going to be a Orlan Detective Cipher.

Pallegina - Hylean Godlike Female Paladin.

I hope we run into some more NPCs that were not announced (like Beamdog folks did). But taking into account this list of NPCs, it seems my first main character will be a Monk or a Rogue.