A short reflection on PoE since kickstarter

Back in 2012 i think it was I was starved for a real classic RPG. And I mean real starved. Then a newsarticle in a national newspaper here in Norway suddenly made me aware of two things: That there was something called Kickstarter and two: Obsidian was gonna do a new, interesting game on it, named Project Eternity. The first thing that hit me was the strange project name, but knowing obsidian for their fantastic games i read it through and got very much intrigued. This was the kind of games Ive had been waiting for, for...years! This was before the release of the BG1 and BG2 enhanced enditions etc. so I didnt even have those games to spend some time with, and so, i read through the kickstarter again.

Paying for a game before its even produced is for me totally alien. Something out there. Normal customer behaviour is usually you walk to the store, look for a nice game and if you find something you like, you buy it!! But i knew now that most game companies wanted to make games that did not include the kind of game i wanted. I guess its part of the time we are in and being old school game player equals being a old person dating from the stone age. I dunno how the kids today look on my computerfascinations, but CRPG is for me the real game. So I thought about giving my share to have this game realised. I wanted it! And more I read about it, the more I liked it!

So I made an account with Kickstarter. The time was actually running out for me there since it took some time from i learned about it all! But that didnt stop me. Then come what should I support this game with. For every tier there where something exciting. I love many things in games, and many of those things where on high tiers. Private housing at 2 million, crafting/enchanting at 2,4m, stronghold at 3m and the chance for a 2nd big city realised itself on 3.5 million etc. First I went with 250 dollar tier, and living in Norway I gladly added another 30 dollar for shipping. And then I sat back, happily enjoying that I had supported in plans finally bringing to life a game i had been looking for, for years!! Now, back to the tiers. Along the way i had the pleasure to see that I was certainly not alone in wanting this game! Many others where too, and as the money flowed in, I saw many of these tiers reached their goals, and things I wanted dearly got within reached. I got restless. Being so late into the kickstarter I had not had the chance taking the money I shot into it into my daily spending. If I wanted to spend more money on this seemingly fabolously game I had to cut something. Thankfully it never come to that anyway, but I was able to add another 250 dollar later to the game before its time ran out completely, landing me around 500-600 dollar tier with a nice signed collectors box from my favorite game producers!

The game is now straight around the corner, and I cant wait. It have been 2-3 years now in waiting, but that waiting have been a pleasure since we had the chance in following Obsidian along the way. I dont know how that have been for Obsidian. Having a bunch of fans peeking over their shoulders all the time, can be more annoying than business shareholders. People like me take more interest in having a good game than it bringing in more money. I do ofcource want it to bring in a fortune for you guys so you can make other fantastic games, but rite here, rite now, I have to say I simply cant wait for the game to go live! And having had the pleasure at following the 90 or so update mails, we surely got a good look on things with this game. And I am happy! I dont know ofcource how Obsidian will evaluate this kickstarter production for PoE but I am happy! And I hope Obsidian is too, so much that if they want to produce another CRPG they might try going all Kickstarter again. Just give us a shout first! You got my emailadress!

Now, I am waiting for the 26th of march, which means in good time before my  Easter vacation. I CANT WAIT!

THANK YOU SO FAR TO EVERYONE WHO HAVE MADE THIS GAME POSSIBLE!

I REALLY CANT WAIT!

• Like 8

Obsidian, inXile, and CD Projekt Red are the holy trinity of RPG devs. Lost a little faith in Bioware after they made that god awful single player "mmorpg" called Dragon Age Inquisition. I hope they don't butcher my favorite series of all time, Mass Effect.

Calibrating...

Obsidian, inXile, and CD Projekt Red are the holy trinity of RPG devs. Lost a little faith in Bioware after they made that god awful single player "mmorpg" called Dragon Age Inquisition. I hope they don't butcher my favorite series of all time, Mass Effect.

You lost your faith in Bioware after DA:I, but not after DA2 & ME2? Sheesh, you really like handing out new chances like candy corn on Halloween, don't you?

That being said, I think you should keep Larian Studios (after D:OS) and Harebrained Studios (after Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut) on the radar along with Obsidian and inXile, for sure.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

You lost your faith in Bioware after DA:I, but not after DA2 & ME2? Sheesh, you really like handing out new chances like candy corn on Halloween, don't you?

That being said, I think you should keep Larian Studios (after D:OS) and Harebrained Studios (after Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut) on the radar along with Obsidian and inXile, for sure.

Never played DA 2, but I love each Mass Effect even though they have their own problems, but nothing near the atrocities like DA2 and DA:I.

I beat D:OS, but it was alright. Spells are super unbalanced and story is snore fest. Dragon Fall's combat was incredibly tedious for me.

To each their own

Edited by TrueMenace
  • Like 1

Calibrating...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...