Chanters: phrase linger and intelligence

As I understand it a chanter's phrases have a linger period which may expire before the chanter reactivates the phrase (assuming another long phrase has been used in concurrence). Is it possible to sustain two or more phrases without any expiration of effects through having a high intelligence (which presumably increases linger time)?

Good question. Something I've been meaning to find out. There have been some ui bugs that have made this not super easy, but it's doable if I sit down at look at it. 

Some chants also require longer chant times which slightly complicates things. 

Ok so buffing Int works, then. In practical terms, how long is the base phrase linger? How many phrases can you stack, max?

Phrases don't all have the same duration. The lingering phrase will overlap the next one that the Chanter start to chant. In general, 2 (one lingering, one being chanted) is all that is going to be overlapping.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Ok so buffing Int works, then. In practical terms, how long is the base phrase linger? How many phrases can you stack, max?

Phrases don't all have the same duration. The lingering phrase will overlap the next one that the Chanter start to chant. In general, 2 (one lingering, one being chanted) is all that is going to be overlapping.

Right, right. The real question underlying this is "how much do I need to pump Intelligence to get (two / three) phrases stacked at once."  If there are edge cases where having a 19 Int will let things stack more vs. maybe it's better to just have a 15 Int because that gets you two at once and that's all you need. 

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

Right, right. The real question underlying this is "how much do I need to pump Intelligence to get (two / three) phrases stacked at once."  If there are edge cases where having a 19 Int will let things stack more vs. maybe it's better to just have a 15 Int because that gets you two at once and that's all you need. 

General rules for phrases, they linger half the time they take to speak and Int increase the linger time. Basically to have 3, you need to start with a very long phrase and follow by two shorts ones.

Although, in the BB with Int 22, I haven't seen more than two stacking. The UI also doesn't allow to display more than two phrases overlapping.

General rules for phrases, they linger half the time they take to speak and Int increase the linger time. Basically to have 3, you need to start with a very long phrase and follow by two shorts ones.

Although, in the BB with Int 22, I haven't seen more than two stacking. The UI also doesn't allow to display more than two phrases overlapping.

Same experience with int 22 chanter. I gave my priest the +2 int armor instead, eventually.

It's either not displaying right or not working in the BB.

Ahhh... too bad. I'm barely familiar with chanters as I just started testing and using them recently, but, if I understand correctly, they chant while they do other stuff right?>

can it be interrupted , and can invocation too be interrupted, like wizard spells ?

If I have the chant on auto, it begins with battle, but does attacking affect it in anyway ?

Also, is there a radius for the effects of the chants ? afaik there is none listed, so I assume all enemies? but there surely is a distance factor...and I don't see the chants showing anything in the logs. Its as if they do nothing for me.

sorry if I hi-jacked this thread to ask chanter stuff, seemed a good place.

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Now we know what's going on...

Chanting is not affected by recovery nor doing anything else as far as I know outside of the Chanter falling unconscious. You just need to be in combat for it to toggle up. There might be a recovery period if you switch chant in the middle of combat, I haven't tried it. The chant is a AoE passive, like the Paladin's aura it has a maximum radius but I'm not sure what it is, I'll have to test it out.

Invocation are like spells. They have a recovery time and can be interrupted (although most of them are fast to cast so harder to interrupt).

As for chants in the log, each phrases roll a hit when the Chanter start to chant it. You should have the Chanter name with the phrase and the number of hits. They can miss, grazes, hit and crit like anything else. You can see if an enemy is affected by a chant in their in-combat tooltip as well, but they last a few seconds so can be easy to miss.

so its not written anywhere what this radius might be for chants.

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

I only use the summons, my concept was a chanter as a warlock/witch, that summons monsters

6m is alot, but not too large. Does it hit near 10m at 19-20 int ?

Edited by Azmodiuz

Obsidian wrote:

Maybe. I compared to the Paladin's aura, well tried to. Chanter needs to be in-combat so it's a bit more complicated to calculate anything. It might actually be 5 meters at Int 10.

I like being able to know how far it reaches..too bad they didn't give it markers.

Obsidian wrote:

Mine has 89 deflection and the lowest defense is like 60's+

Just not much hp on these guys. I use it as a tank, but have to keep him alive with healing.

Obsidian wrote:

A sword and shield, oh and I have 104 deflection, by the end. my chanters doesn't die easily, and regen constantly, and even manages to keep the whole party alive (BARELY) alone. On hard mode, I actually have to use the other characters. On Normal, I can solo the Beta, if I tried, relatively sure, though very very difficult, and requires alot of kiting until my defenses get higher from equipment. 

The issue is, they don't do much damage if you build them around defense, so the summons are what fights for you. a ghost, three skeletons or 3 drakes... the drakes are great cause they're ranged. The skeletons go down really quick, but if you want to ambush someone and get flanking bonus's this helps. If you need another tank - take the ghost.

post-102105-0-60219100-1426616138_thumb.jpg

here my character.. though really nothing special... I didn't try to hard, and I spread everything out over the party, enchanting wise. I think if you want to use a hand-axe instead of a sword, you will get an additional 5 deflection too.
  • Like 1

Obsidian wrote:

My concept of chanter tank was bit different

maxed-alarielle.png?psid=1

She works fine with base might 3 as she doesn't need to do any damage in fights, she just summons, de/buffs and interrupts and rest of party takes care of enemies. On my test run on hard she did her job brilliantly. 

She works fine with base might 3 as she doesn't need to do any damage in fights, she just summons, de/buffs and interrupts and rest of party takes care of enemies. On my test run on hard she did her job brilliantly. 

Do you autoattack? if not, why don't give her a wand or a bow just to AA from behind meanwhile chanting?

Do you autoattack? if not, why don't give her a wand or a bow just to AA from behind meanwhile chanting?

She is the tank of my party that stands in front line and takes all the hits from enemies. She is fully build around that idea. Back line support chanter should be build much differently.

Edited by Elerond

She is the tank of my party that stands in front line and takes all the hits from enemies. She is fully build around that idea. Back line support chanter should be build much differently.

Seems interesting, chanter + summons tanking!!

What would you suggest for a more backline chanter?