Custom Avatar in game

You can't change your avatar in-game, but you can put your own portraits into the game and use them.

The exact way to do that.. uh.. I have no clue. But yeah, it's possible. Before you know it, someone's going to pop in here and give the dimensions used in the current beta, I just know it.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

's almost as if Luckmann is prescient ...

I'll just quote from a post in the Backer Beta subforum

Here is a quick little tutorial for custom portrait guru's!

Each portrait is 210 x 330 pixels.  The smaller in game UI portraits are 76 x 96 pixels. 

You have to have two separate files for a custom portrait.  You can name them anything you want but they must end in either a _ or plain old space then the letters lg (for large pic) or sm (for the small one).  The primary file name must also obviously be the same so they match together.  So Bob_lg and Bob_sm will work together but if you name them Bob_lg and Bobby_sm you will have issues. 

Additionally on format....  yes, PNG files work, and the in game default pics are in fact in PNG format.  I have only tried using 72 ppi images so I don't know if that is restricted feel free to experiment but that is really plenty.  Also yes, custom portraits already work even in the beta.

File path (at least for Steam) is:  steam/steamapps/common/Pillars of Eternity - Public Beta/PillarsofEternity_Data/data/art/gui/portraits/player/(female or male)/

Obviously the public beta part will drop in the real game.  Ordering is pretty simple... Male portraits appear in game before female and they are ordered based on alphabetical order in the folder.  All default portraits either start with the word male or female so finding your custom one in the list should be easy.  

• Like 4

Oop, I meant the portrait not the guy walking around lol.

Thanks!

Just in case access to the actual thread and some of the more specific details (like don't post an oversized image down scaling is bad in Eternity) would be helpful here is a link to the actual thread.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66894-how-to-make-custom-portraits/

You don't need to have multiple resolutions when you do either. But the trick is, for the smaller resolutions, crop out more of the area outside the face itself. And for the larger resolutions, you can show more. If you use too high of a resolution, the picture becomes a bit blurry, but still looks good, so long as theres not tons of details in the orignal resolution. anythign around 4-500 pixels (height) still turns out okay for the high res. but not so much for the low.

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Now we know what's going on...