Unity 5.0 was released this week with more new and improved feature set's than ya can shake a stick at! Read this at your leisure.

http://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/unity-5.0

There's too much there to link here, but there's enough new and improved features there I'd be willing to let the release slide 2-4 weeks because the level of polish would definitely be noticed. Without knowing their pipeline I don't know how long it would take to transition from their current version of 4.61 to 5.0, but it just seems like it would be a win win for optimizing the game, fixing their audio streaming issue, physics issue's, lighting, animations, audio mixing of fx, music and transitions, and a slew of other hot button issue's being discussed on these board's. Plus there seems to be some new changes which will help us with modding in the future. At the very least the expansion or pillars 2 will look and perform way better!

Edited by Falkon Swiftblade
  • Like 1

There's the issue of "going gold". The version they're putting on the discs in the game boxes is already locked down by my guess. In this final stretch, it's nothing but bug fixing and polishing for the Day 1 patch. It would be an insane risk to do a major version middleware upgrade at this point -- probably leading to another "Bugsidian!" round in the gaming press, and with justification.

• Like 5

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

Unity 5.0 was released this week with more new and improved feature set's than ya can shake a stick at! Read this at your leisure.

There's too much there to link here, but there's enough new and improved features there I'd be willing to let the release slide 2-4 weeks because the level of polish would definitely be noticed. Without knowing their pipeline I don't know how long it would take to transition from their current version of 4.61 to 5.0, but it just seems like it would be a win win for optimizing the game, fixing their audio streaming issue, physics issue's, lighting, animations, audio mixing of fx, music and transitions, and a slew of other hot button issue's being discussed on these board's. Plus there seems to be some new changes which will help us with modding in the future. At the very least the expansion or pillars 2 will look and perform way better!

inXile estimates that it takes them over 3 months to port Wasteland 2 to Unity 5 (given that they plan to add features and polish too) gives some indication that 2-4 weeks isn't necessary enough time to port and test PoE to Unity 5.

Well when I said 2-4 wks I was more or less talking about a few of the thing's like the audio transitions and mixing and a few other thing's they were currently working on, plus I think obsidian has a much larger team than inxile and they just pull folks from wherever there's a need. But yes I'm sure they're still going to want to test it, so if anything maybe it'll come in a nice patch sooner than later.

Well when I said 2-4 wks I was more or less talking about a few of the thing's like the audio transitions and mixing and a few other thing's they were currently working on, plus I think obsidian has a much larger team than inxile and they just pull folks from wherever there's a need. But yes I'm sure they're still going to want to test it, so if anything maybe it'll come in a nice patch sooner than later.

You cannot pick and choose which parts of the game uses the version 4.x version, and which uses version 5. if you want to use any of the new features of Unity version 5 you have use the entire thing, which all the changes to file formats, API's and what have you. At best there will be some kind of compatibility mode, but I highly doubt it.

An engine upgrade could come with a future patch after most of the worst post-release bugs have been dealt with (perhaps coinciding with expansion), but there is zero chance that Obsidian will delay the game this close to the given release date, to port it to a newer version of Unity.

Edited by Night Stalker
  • Like 1

I don't know what our plans are going forward but, I do know we are shipping with the version of Unity we are currently using (4.6).

Just for some insight, last time we upgraded Unity, Dyrford Crossing mouse collision handling broke on a lot of little plant containers (as is with beta version 435). It took us a few weeks to diagnose the problem and find a solution. But that's the kind of unknown mystery that can crop up from upgrading and why it would be dangerous as of right now to do so.

• Like 10

Twitter: @robyatadero

No reason to upgrade now, but it would be nice if you looked at Unity 5 in the future - that would be sick for mod support, as it's now free. The Unity 4.6 UI system is also supposed to be much better than NGUI as well, but that's probably more of a sequel thing.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 2

inXile estimates that it takes them over 3 months to port Wasteland 2 to Unity 5 (given that they plan to add features and polish too) gives some indication that 2-4 weeks isn't necessary enough time to port and test PoE to Unity 5.

But as can be read those days, InXile will do / port a GOTY edition from Wasteland 2 to consoles. ( I don't know how this will work with a gamepad). The Port will be to Unity 5 and therefore bring enhanced grafics and light and so on. This port should also bring a better gameplay(mechanics). 

PC users will get this port too. 

I think this is a great idea.

But I hope I will not be "forced" to buy a new "GOTY" edition to play this new experience.

This case shows, that this should also be possible for PoE!

So what do yout think, Obsidian?

I don't know what our plans are going forward but, I do know we are shipping with the version of Unity we are currently using (4.6).

Just for some insight, last time we upgraded Unity, Dyrford Crossing mouse collision handling broke on a lot of little plant containers (as is with beta version 435). It took us a few weeks to diagnose the problem and find a solution. But that's the kind of unknown mystery that can crop up from upgrading and why it would be dangerous as of right now to do so.

I agree with Sensuki. Could you consider this for the expansion?

Shadows Heretic Kingdoms is considering it for Ogre3D, I'm actually also helping :p

• Like 1
In-Development: Turn-Based cRPG, late backing OPEN!

realms_beyond_logo_360x90px_transparent_

Shadows Heretic Kingdoms is considering it for Ogre3D, I'm actually also helping :p

To be honest, I can't imagine doing this for the expansion. It would be a very large amount of work to do this and we would need to pour a bunch of resources back into the base game to make everything play nicely. I guess anything is possible, but there are many other things we would rather spend programming time on for the expansion.

I could see this for a sequel (if we do one).

• Like 3

I could see this for a sequel (if  when we do one).

Fixed :p

• Like 3

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

To be honest, I can't imagine doing this for the expansion. It would be a very large amount of work to do this and we would need to pour a bunch of resources back into the base game to make everything play nicely. I guess anything is possible, but there are many other things we would rather spend programming time on for the expansion.

Pretty understandable that you don't want to increase work to the base game.

Will you guys look into using the Unity 4.6 UI system for a sequel because it's a lot faster to develop with than NGUI and it's WaAaAAAAy better at scaling 2D assets.

Will you guys look into using the Unity 4.6 UI system for a sequel because it's a lot faster to develop with than NGUI and it's WaAaAAAAy better at scaling 2D assets.

We will have to evaluate it at that point. It may be very easy for us to convert everything over... or it might be a nightmare. Hopefully the former.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...