March 4th Interview with Josh Sawyer

Pillars of Eternity: critical path only "a third or quarter" of game

We talk to Josh Sawyer about exploration, writing, and mega dungeons.

We caught up with Josh Sawyer, the game director of the much anticipated game from Obsidian Entertainment, Pillars of Eternity, and found out about exploration in the Kickstarted RPG.

"It's been very important to us to feel that the world is large enough not only to support a big critical path, but a ton of additional content," Sawyer explained. "We would say that our critical path comprises maybe a third or a quarter of all the content in the game, so we've really made [exploration] a big emphasis for how people go through."

The game director continued: "We want to make sure that the density in a lot of these side areas is high enough that you feel that there's always something new to find and explore, it doesn't just feel like empty or filler. But we do try to pay attention that some people want to get... that different people want to get different things [out of exploration]."

Check out the full interview for more details on how the RPG - which is heading to PC, Mac and Linux on March 26 - is shaping up, with discussion moving between the lore of the game, making a title for a PC crowd that likes to read and doesn't mind lots of text, and the fifteen-level mega dungeon - The Endless Paths.

16 mins video: http://www.gamereactor.eu/grtv/?id=215404

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/293644/Pillars+of+Eternity%3A+critical+path+only+"a+third+or+quarter"+of+game/

• Like 9

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

This is known.

True, there's not much new here (although he did explain some details about souls that was new to me). But... Man.... Watching something like this, when you know the game is only 3 weeks away just feels so much more powerful.

• Like 3

Pillars of Eternity: critical path only "a third or quarter" of game

We talk to Josh Sawyer about exploration, writing, and mega dungeons.

We caught up with Josh Sawyer, the game director of the much anticipated game from Obsidian Entertainment, Pillars of Eternity, and found out about exploration in the Kickstarted RPG.

"It's been very important to us to feel that the world is large enough not only to support a big critical path, but a ton of additional content," Sawyer explained. "We would say that our critical path comprises maybe a third or a quarter of all the content in the game, so we've really made [exploration] a big emphasis for how people go through."

The game director continued: "We want to make sure that the density in a lot of these side areas is high enough that you feel that there's always something new to find and explore, it doesn't just feel like empty or filler. But we do try to pay attention that some people want to get... that different people want to get different things [out of exploration]."

Check out the full interview for more details on how the RPG - which is heading to PC, Mac and Linux on March 26 - is shaping up, with discussion moving between the lore of the game, making a title for a PC crowd that likes to read and doesn't mind lots of text, and the fifteen-level mega dungeon - The Endless Paths.

16 mins video: http://www.gamereactor.eu/grtv/?id=215404

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/293644/Pillars+of+Eternity%3A+critical+path+only+"a+third+or+quarter"+of+game/

Thats cool, I love the idea of huge parts of the gameworld you can explore that aren't necessarily related to the main quest  :dancing:

• Like 5

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Yeah.  I like a world where things aren't tied to the main quest and where things don't scale.  I want to be able to wander into some place and think, "oh ****!  I took a wrong turn at Albuquerque!"

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Kuddos also to the interviewer in that video. A game journalist who actually seems to know the game he is asking questions about.. is the world going mad? :p I'd rather watch this guy do a decent review of the game than Angry Beaver or what's his name.

Am I crazy that I'm more hyped up about this game than fallout 4? And I'm really hyped up about that game lol

No you are being honest, its important in life that we are able to express our excitement  without fear of ridicule..its good to see. You should be excited, the game is going to be epicccccccccccccccccccc  :dancing:  :dancing:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

This is known.

True, there's not much new here (although he did explain some details about souls that was new to me). But... Man.... Watching something like this, when you know the game is only 3 weeks away just feels so much more powerful.

Gotta concur with Stun.  I didn't learn anything from this video at all and I don't care, it was still a great watch!  21 days to go baby!!!

Based on absolutely nothing - Fallout 4 will be in no way better than Fallout 3 which - just my opinion - is below average, will disappoint fans, and what I will find the best news - will flop sales-wise :)

Edited by Gairnulf
  • Like 1

eFoHp9V.png

Based on absolutely nothing - Fallout 4 will be in no way better than Fallout 3 which - just my opinion - is below average, will disappoint fans, and what I will find the best news - will flop sales-wise :)

I'm not sure what consensus is on F:NW but I personally enjoyed it a lot more than Fallout3. Both games had great moments, but as a whole F:NW felt a lot more real for me. I piled endless hours into that game and I still haven't even played through most of the DLC content (I did finish OWB - had tons of fun). However I only played through Fallout3 once and I don't ever plan to play through it again. If Fallout4 will be indeed closer to Fallout3 I don't really see myself spending a lot of time playing it, which is a shame.

• Like 6

Based on absolutely nothing - Fallout 4 will be in no way better than Fallout 3 which - just my opinion - is below average, will disappoint fans, and what I will find the best news - will flop sales-wise original.gif

I have no doubt most of this is true, but there is no way it'll flop sales-wise. There's people out there that still think FO3 was better than FONV and that Oblivion and Skyrim is the best thing since sliced white bread with the crust cut off by mom.

I was so, so incredibly disappointed in Skyrim after Bethesda showed that they had learned nothing from the issues with Oblivion, nor taken a page out of the book of FONV that served mechanics up to them on a silver platter. Survival in a harsh winter landscape? Now that'd just be silly, my good man, mwaha, guffaw mwaha.

• Like 2

t50aJUd.jpg

FNV grabbed me from the beginning and only later I took notice that it wasn't developed by Bethesda, and I was like "Oh, that explains it". :)

I can't argue with the Fallout 3 and Skyrim sales numbers, but let's not forget that the people who bought Fallout 3 are 7 years older today than they were then, and the people who bought Skyrim are 4 years older. Their preferences may have changed in the meantime, and I think last year shows evidence of that.

I'm betting Fallout 4 will flop, because I saw lots of AAA titles flop in 2014 and this makes me think the long trend is turning, with AAA titles with huge budgets becoming unprofitable. It took ten years for the casual audience to notice, but I think it's finally beginning to notice that it's being milked with buying the same mediocre games year after year, not to mention the dlcs, microtransactions intrusive drm "services", etc.

I can list you at least six big titles that flopped last year, and there is EA's telling silence about the DAI sales. That's mainly why I expect the market will respond badly to Fallout 4, in relation to the investment in its making.

Edited by Gairnulf
  • Like 1

eFoHp9V.png

Don't care if fallout will flop or not, I thought fonv was the greatest roleplaying game I've ever played, but I still love fallout 3. I'm excited even though I know it's most likely going to be like 3, really excited.

But as I've noticed. I'm thinking and craving more to play Poe than I am with fallout.

And I'm sorry I didn't mean to derail

Reminder that other people aren't wrong for liking things that you don't.

You're stating an opinion as fact.

S..so are you?!

Actually, him stating that you were stating an opinion as fact, is not an opinion stated as fact, it is just a fact.

This, was also just a fact.

t50aJUd.jpg