Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Curious about things before buying~

CharacterCreation Customization Hair Player Character Combat Armor

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

cmergler

cmergler

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Not in this game. The crafting does not allow you to take hides and/or leather to craft a new armor.

It allows to take an armor you already have and upgrade it to a higher quality, or give it an enchantment. No respawning means also you are not able to just farm the ingredients and money to make upgrades easily attainable.

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer

I've seen other threads about the respawn issue.  I always want enough to make the world feel vibrant and alive, but not so much you feel like you haven't impacted anything.  If they just respawn the whole map all the time, that's just as offputting as clearing an area and never having anything there again.  A few respawns and a few random and set encounters for travel.

Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 899 posts

Long hair is really, really difficult to do in games, which is why you don't see it often. Not in any game where you can customize from many hair options. If it's part of the character that is never customizable, a special dynamic rig can be created, so something like Tomb Raider can do it, and do it well. But an RPG with many hair variants spread across many body proportions, spread across many armor types, it is not feasible given a production schedule. On one outfit the hair will be inside the body, on another it will float off the body, it will look terrible - so we just avoid it. 

MMORPGs usually circumvent this problem by having two variations of each hair model:

The normal model and a "knotted" model which is used as soon as there's a model in place that the hair might clip through (like helmets or giant shoulder pads).

http://i113.photobuc...collar_updo.jpg

Quite effective idea imho. It doubles the amount of required models but that's about it.

Edited by Zwiebelchen, 09 March 2015 - 02:25 AM.

Stun

Stun

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2857 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

4. Respawns Here is a huge one for me..I like to take my time in rpgs and not just feel like a drone stuck in forward mode. Will monsters in the world and dungeons (aside from bosses) respawn?  if no.. well that is a huge deal breaker for me..sorry, Don't like rushing to the end and walking through blank maps.

What do you mean by 'rushing to the end and walking through blank maps'?

The maps aren't blank. They're populated by monsters and other assorted challenges. The game then allows you to take your time and deal with those challenges as you see fit. And the design is non-linear in nature.

There's nothing that respawning adds to this formula except make all your time and effort worthless. "hey, you cleared that dungeon and made the nearby village safe! You're a hero! No wait.... everything you killed in that dungeon has just respawned.

Edit: and the "respawning keeps the world vibrant" point is little more than an argument in a vacuum. First off, Dungeons do not need to remain "vibrant" after the threat therein has been dealt with. And second, intelligent developers who wish to further the 'living world' feeling to a cleared map can easily do so without resorting to such artificial arcade-game methods like magically respawning what you previously killed there. They could, instead, place new, non-hostile set pieces in that map. For example, an abandoned warehouse is the home of a necromancer and his skeleton minions. So you go clear it out. A few days later, that warehouse is now populated by.... warehouse workers.

Or, the devs could do what we saw in last weekend's demo. Send you out to a map you already cleared, in order to deal with a Bounty encounter...which wasn't on that map before you got the quest.

Edited by Stun, 09 March 2015 - 04:56 PM.

• CaptainMace likes this

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer

The last part of your post is what I'd like to see.  There need not be a bunch of respawns.  Actually, no respawns are good.  Instead, new spawns in areas that make sense for new spawns.  If you help the town deal with all immediate threats, then it should be safe.  It can probably count on relatively clear sailing in the vicinity.  Remote areas you clear might have new spawns in them or even some set encounters placed just for the event that the area is clear.  Even then, it should be abandoned for a while and the new denizens who eventually come should be sensible.  I want the world to show the impact of your passage, but not look like this static place that only exists because the PC does.  Of course, the world only exists because it was created for the players, but that's different.  So, a few random or set encounters and some new spawns, used judiciously, make sense to me.  ...But if the choice is between every map completely respawning and staying completely cleared after we clear them, I'd rather they stay completely cleared.

EDIT:  Cleaned up a little.

Edited by Cantousent, 09 March 2015 - 06:57 PM.

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Respawning is only good for salmon and undead armies. 8P

Verenti

Verenti

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:verenti
  • Xbox Gamertag:verenti
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Long hair is really, really difficult to do in games, which is why you don't see it often. Not in any game where you can customize from many hair options. If it's part of the character that is never customizable, a special dynamic rig can be created, so something like Tomb Raider can do it, and do it well. But an RPG with many hair variants spread across many body proportions, spread across many armor types, it is not feasible given a production schedule. On one outfit the hair will be inside the body, on another it will float off the body, it will look terrible - so we just avoid it. 

I will say that there are Skyrim mods that add physics enabled hair. Other then now and then when it completely wigs out (wigs, heh), it looks really good. There aren't so many to choose from, maybe ten different styles, but it looks convincingly like long hair. Mind you, "long" is down to the bottom of the shoulder blades. That's the work of amateurs, so maybe in the future we'll see a proliferation of it?

I mean, it would be kind of be a waste in a Unity engine game, considering how fugly the models tend to be (PoE looks great in comparison with Shadowrun and Wasteland 2), but who knows?

Edited by Verenti, 10 March 2015 - 08:24 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CharacterCreation, Customization, Hair, Player Character, Combat, Armor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users