Monks/Mages and armor

Iv seen my friend play around with the backer BETA, and many things the was impossible in IE games can be done in this.

Like wizards in armor, and monks in armor. 

and as far as I understand wizards gets a penalty to cast or recovery? time when casting in armor.

but how does that work for a melee class as fx monk. Does it lower the time between attacks?

and does the dex stat makes you attack faster?.

Yes to both of your questions. Plate armor has a 50% speed penalty, so if you attack once in 4 secs, with plate armor you attack once in 6 secs (4 + 4 * 50%) 

Dex makes you attack 3% / dex faster, so your overall attack speed is increased by 30% if you increase your dex to 20. The attack speed would now be... 4,2 secs? Nah it would probably be 4,6 secs but I'm not really sure about this math. 

Well, classes you have mentioned are (more or less) designed to use light armor type so.. Nothing stands against them using robes or padded armor (15-20% penalty). And as axedice already said, every point spent in Dex (over 10) will decrease the penalty even more. As a sidenote, I think that only Fighter class has a ability to lower the penalty of using heavier armor types.

Edited by Yabaddi