What are you playing while waiting for PoE to come out?

Ughh sadly I just got sucked back into the horrific cesspool that is League of Legends >_<  It's great when you want to play a game that makes you feels mad and stressed out afterwards.

Other than that I made it a goal to finish my most recent playthrough of BG2  and finally finish Planescape Torment before PoE comes out.  Also playing FF7 with my girlfriend.  Got her through the big tragic event in the game without it being spoiled! 

I've also dabbled in Darkest Dungeon, Shadowrun Returns, Skyrim Dragonborn, and Shadows of Mordor recently.  I jump around way too much.

• Like 1

Been doing some diablo, playing cities skylines march 10th an poe march 26. also dabbling with elite dangerous for now an homeworld master edition, been also doing civ five.How ever i dabble all over i dont delete games..I keep them on a large 2 tb hard drive ive got..So i can always play any of them..Ill be sinked into poe how ever like the rest of yall..Im a old baldurs gate 2 lover of the series..Man i miss them  days..

Many people seem to play KotoR.

There was recently a Star Wars Humble Bundle which included both KotOR games plus all of the Jedi Academy games and some others for something like $12.

I've finished playing KotOR (it was surprisingly good) and have moved on to the sequel which is good so far, but that's not saying much since the problems of that game begin in the later half. I've installed the restored content mod this time so hopefully it won't feel as empty.

Darkest Dungeon

And how is the game for you? I tried it but it got boring real quick..

It is just what I wanted at this juncture.  Nice short adventures with a bit of strategy and resource management.  Every once in a while a character I have been building up awhile gets put in danger and that is a bit of a rush of adrenaline which is fun.

Almost finished getting my last couple classes to level 6.  Starting to get a little stale but after 50+ hours that is to be expected for a game of such small scope.

Looking forward to the new classes and dungeons later.

Edited by Valmy
  • Like 1

The Game of Thrones mod for Crusader Kings 2. I have ambitions of placing Lollys Stokeworth, the secret mastermind of the entire series, on the Iron Throne. 

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.

I just discovered this game and despite its strange name, it is the best damn roguelike I have played.

Have you played Tales of Maj Eyal? I loved it xP

I have, but grew tired of it a bit too quickly. A lot of great ideas, but the playing experience actually ended up being similar to a hack'n'slash, where I would just click away without thinking. I sometimes go back to Nethack, but by now I think it's safe to say that DCSS is the best roguelike for me.

Darkest Dungeon

It is just what I wanted at this juncture.  Nice short adventures with a bit of strategy and resource management.  Every once in a while a character I have been building up awhile gets put in danger and that is a bit of a rush of adrenaline which is fun.

Almost finished getting my last couple classes to level 6.  Starting to get a little stale but after 50+ hours that is to be expected for a game of such small scope.

Thanks so much for mentioning Darkest Dungeons! I hadn't heard of it before I saw the name here. Tried it today and it's awesome! Don't know if it will keep me until the 26th, but it's a good start.

• Like 1

Skyrim with overhaul/difficulty mods (makes it feel like a completely different game).

Which mods would be those? I have been tempted to play through Skyrim, since I didn't finish any of the DLC content, but the game is too easy for my taste and I can't be bothered.

Perkus Maximus is a nice overhaul for perks. Makes perks mean a whole lot more. 

Skyrin Redone is made by the same guy, but I use the combat difficulty modules of SkyRe with Perkus Maximus. SkyRe also does away with leveling, so if you go to some dungeons on too low a level you'll get annihilated. Although, that can happen just fighting bandits. Even at high levels. Every encounter is dangerous.

To address the underwhelming dragons, I use Dragon Combat Overhaul alongside Deadly Dragons. It's brutal. If I'm alone somewhere and a dragon comes for me, it's run or die. Even at level 30 I typically can't handle a dragon fight without sacrificing half a city's guard to distract it. And that's if only one shows up...

I also use Frostfall, which adds a survivalist element to the game. You can freeze to death. Swimming across a river makes you dripping wet and you suck more soaking wet and get colder quicker, and therefore fight more slowly. If you're in the North you may need to pitch a tent and warm up for awhile. If you try to swim in freezing water you freeze and die quickly. It's a nice touch.

I also use realistic needs and diseases, and I get why people don't like those kinds of mods cause it gets too sims-y. It makes food more useful (you have to eat and drink to stay alive) and disease actually matter. You can't ignore your diseases anymore. They come with significant debuffs that are essentially a death sentence if you get into a tough fight (which is often with my other mods).

Also, Civil War Overhaul, where a bit more specific, addresses another part of skyrim that is insanely too easy. With it, you can actually lose the war. With my other mods, it makes the civil war as brutal as you might imagine a civil war would be (and take as long!). 

When you put all that together, it's a completely different game (as you might imagine). It takes a lot of work to get things all set up to work together, but it's worth it. You can never become a god-like being. I have to have mods that extend how many followers I can have. You cannot solo Skyrim with a mod loadout like that. I, too, was always very underwhelmed by Skyrim, but now I can't get enough.

I want to finish up my current play with Baldur's Gate II and ToB before Pillars gets released. Also working on making a party for Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition buuuuuuuuuuut... probably not going to happen before Pillars of Eternity is released. I have, however, realized that dual-wielding Flails is absolutely amazing and if there are one-handed flails in Pillars of Eternity I'll know exactly what to do with my Barbarian :D

Also got started with State of Decay: Lifeline after finishing the original title (Breakdown was a... breakdown... made me wonder why I even got the DLC to begin with). Great game(/series?), with some unfortunate bugs and mechanics/balance issues (my truck full of food got stuck on a railing and decided to make a flip and explode xD). I hope there'll be a more punishing/dangerous zombie apocalypse State of Decay 2 game at some point.

Darkest Dungeon

This f-king game! It's brilliant! Amazing! Fun! Very intruiging concept! I love the art style, I love Kickstarter and I love Klei (who are tributed to by the Darkest Dungeon devs, Red Hook, in the opening screen).

But the game is oh so frustrating. Had a really nice and fun party, "One more room, one more room!"... and I was understocked for the adventure but I just wanted to finish up the quest. Everything went fine and dandy until everyone got afflicted, just before the LAST ROOM! Everyone got reckted, and I decided I'm going to wait til it gets closer to release. Otherwise I'm going to pull my hair out before it is even feature complete and burn myself out :p

Though, I can see myself coming back to it because it's such a great title.

I've been playing Darkest Dungeon, too. I really enjoyed it to begin with, but DD has a huge drop off at around level 3. The difficulty plummets, the whole thing becomes very repetitive and you realise that all the wonderful party balance you think is there really isn't present.

I own Elite: Dangerous, and have played a little bit of that, but in its present state it is far too repetitive and lacks any sort of meaningful challenge. Might dig it out again once Wings comes out.

I'd been playing Europa Universallis IV loads, but then they patched it which unfortunately wiped a very hard-earned save of mine. Might play that again soon.

Got Recettear cheap on Steam a few months back, having wanted it for years, and yet somehow haven't had the itch to fire it up.

I was doing an IWD1 playthrough, but I switched computers, lost the saves and will be damned if I'm slogging my way though all those early dungeons again.

I've been playing Darkest Dungeon, too. I really enjoyed it to begin with, but DD has a huge drop off at around level 3. The difficulty plummets, the whole thing becomes very repetitive and you realise that all the wonderful party balance you think is there really isn't present.

I agree though it gets good again when you get to the level 5 dungeons.  Level 3 and 4 are a long slog, you get very little exp per dungeon and need a ton and there ceases to be much chance of any of your characters dying.  They need to work on those levels to make them better.

Edited by Valmy

I'm playing Smash Bros Wii U on my game pad while I'm on these forums. 

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

So I am done with Darkest Dungeon for now, having checked all the caretakers' boxes, so now back to Skyrim to try to win it before PoE comes out.

I enjoy the Elder Scrolls but man they make me long for real RPGs from time to time.  So I had just won the Civil War thing and was back in Solitude to do the next part of the main quest and decided to go visit the Jarl to say 'we won, when's the coronation?' but no acknowledgement at all.  Meh.  Then I prepared for a stealthy social mission only to have a dragon swoop down right before I could start.  Meh.  Open World games have no sense of dramatic tension or storytelling.

• Like 1

Crusader Kings II, which is a blast. I finished Dragon Age Inquisition recently (The first two-thirds were really fun, but the ending was really bad,) and Wasteland 2 (which didn't meet my unreasonably-high expectations but was very good.)

I tried Original Sin a while ago but it didn't grab me. The two-PCs seemed wonky and I couldn't get over the cartoony graphics.

I tried Original Sin a while ago but it didn't grab me. The two-PCs seemed wonky and I couldn't get over the cartoony graphics.

The two PCs are there to facilitate co-op play.  It is a little wonky if you are just gonna play solo, which probably most people do.  I would urge you to give it another chance.  I thought it was a fantastic game.  Love the combat.

The two PCs are there to facilitate co-op play.  It is a little wonky if you are just gonna play solo, which probably most people do.  I would urge you to give it another chance.  I thought it was a fantastic game.  Love the combat.

Well the combat can only hold a game for so long until it becomes tiresome. The roleplay aspect of the game is almost non-existent. Sure, you get few branching dialog trees, but the dialog itself is so mundane and unimaginative that after 5 or so hours I just started reading in between words to get the general sense of conversation and just opt to start combat asap. The main story is bland and side content is as generic as it can get. Companions have few dialog lines, but they are so one-dimensional it is hard to take them serious, since after first conversation you can pretty much guess what they are going to talk about. The co-op aspect of the game is where it shines tho. I played it with a friend and we had tons of fun goofing around since the game engine itself is very solid and allows for great variety in overcoming obstacles. However playing the game alone was not fun at all, at least for me.

• Like 4

I did not enjoy myself in Original Sin's first town and since the towns are usually my favorite part of a game I thought that was a bad sign.

I will revisit it sometime though

I can see that.  Its pretty much THE town in the game, and, as such, fairly large as maps/areas go relative to the rest of the game.  I felt that it slowed the pace of the game down by being introduced so early.