Journalism and bias in the gaming industry.

Rosbjerg

Ehh not really. 

They believed in their own conjured delusions of what gamers were and declared all gamers as such and should've die as 'a culture'. They do not like games or the medium itself and therefore they wish to change it according to their whims. They approve of corruption or turn the blind eye to it as long as it is for a greater good, which is to consolidate the market for more progressive 'games', which are not bound by market forces, but rather by the approval of themselves. 

[citation needed]

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Well, as usual the problem is labelling everyone that disagreed with Alexander (not even a developer, tsk) as being part of that Evil Collective. Simple tactic really. I don't think they really like games for the fun of playing rather than...uh..experiences or something, recalling that article on how games have an accessibility issue as those who suck at it can't 'Win' them.

Consequence of gaming becoming widespread, I guess, we get dudebros but just the gender studies taking variety. :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Ehh not really. 

They believed in their own conjured delusions of what gamers were and declared all gamers as such and should've die as 'a culture'. They do not like games or the medium itself and therefore they wish to change it according to their whims. They approve of corruption or turn the blind eye to it as long as it is for a greater good, which is to consolidate the market for more progressive 'games', which are not bound by market forces, but rather by the approval of themselves. 

[citation needed]

All pointing to the same article by Dan Golding.

//edit: ...and of course the emails in GameJouroPros.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Ehh not really. 

[citation needed]

Are you actually expecting GooberGrunters to do fact-checking?

What you're dealing with here is, essentially, a paranoid conspiracy theory, and like most conspiracy theories, reason and facts are no match for it. Try convincing a 9/11 Truther that the World Trade Center wasn't brought down by a controlled demolition and see how much success you have. There's no convincing them that those windmills they're tilting at are not, in fact, giants in disguise.

American historian Richard Hofstadter wrote a famous essay titled The Paranoid Style in American Politics, which perfectly describes the attitude behind GamerGate. These quotes stands out in particular (emphases mine):

"The paranoid seems to have little expectation of actually convincing a hostile world, but he can accumulate evidence in order to protect his cherished convictions from it."

"...the megalomaniac view of oneself as the Elect, wholly good, abominably persecuted, yet assured of ultimate triumph; the attribution of gigantic and demonic powers to the adversary; the refusal to accept the ineluctable limitations and imperfections of human existence, such as transience, dissention, conflict, fallibility whether intellectual or moral; the obsession with inerrable prophecies . . . systematized misinterpretations, always gross and often grotesque."

"There is no greatness where simplicity, goodness and truth are absent." - Leo Tolstoy

"Are you actually expecting GooberGrunters to do fact-checking?"

The facts have been checked. The links have been shared. The proof is in the pudding. The SJW words have  showed them for what they are.

\But, hey, people like Wu and McIntosh can threaten to kill me and that's a-ok, right?

But that's fine. They keep failing.

*goes back to playing games*

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Triggered by bigotry-filled language. Post reported. Expect disciplinary action shortly.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

What you're dealing with here is, essentially, a paranoid conspiracy theory, and like most conspiracy theories, reason and facts are no match for it.

If this is true then Skyrim is a perfect game and Wasteland 2 is a buggy unplayable mess.  The game press isn't biased, after all.

• Like 1

, a paranoid conspiracy theory,

What "conspiracy theory" are you referring to; they wear their agenda on their sleeve. When game journalists straight up admit they give games lower scores and more negatively inclined reviews because they don't conform to progressive values; I don't think it's a conspiracy theory to suggest and object to the fact that they give games lower scores and more negative reviews because they don't conform to progressive values.

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Describes SJWs perfectly actually.

Persecuted by "an organized campaign to drive women out of the industry" (their words) but assured that "good guys will win".

Not a conspiracy theory at all, right? :ermm:

And remember; all supporters of GG are misogynists who are just hiding their hatred of women. Don't forget that all female GG supporters are just sock puppets controlled by men as a part of a massive conspiracy against women.

Yeah, we're the conspiracy theorists alright.

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

Guys have you not been here since day 1? Don't engage obvious bait.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Topical: 

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

What you're dealing with here is, essentially, a paranoid conspiracy theory, and like most conspiracy theories, reason and facts are no match for it.

If this is true then Skyrim is a perfect game and Wasteland 2 is a buggy unplayable mess.  The game press isn't biased, after all.

Certainly not. They would never want to mislead you. If you think that there is corruption in game journalism you are an insane conspiracy theorist. Also if you simply believe game journalists own admission of their agenda you are an insane conspiracy theorist.

Edited by Namutree

In semi related business, #solution6months is a drive to get people interested in game development. According to Jennifer D'Aww, it's been very successful in getting women interested. Check it out for yourselves.

http://www.gamedev.life

Disclosure: I have no ties to this at all.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

In semi related business, #solution6months is a drive to get people interested in game development. According to Jennifer D'Aww, it's been very successful in getting women interested. Check it out for yourselves.

http://www.gamedev.life

Disclosure: I have no ties to this at all.

As long as they have no ties with UBM, i do have high hopes for them succeeding.

• Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Ehh not really. 

[citation needed]

...Short version?

I mean, it's not like people are incapable of arriving on different conclusions based on the same facts, and I'm arguing with your conclusions, not your facts; hence, sitting through about an hour's worth of videos telling me what I already know seems... unproductive.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

They're profoundly disgusted by a certain subsegment of gamers (a feeling I can actually relate to), but a/ obviously don't see said subsegment as "their audience" (the original Alexander article was published in a website geared towards developers, not gamers, and the ones following it were mostly reporting on said article and the reaction surrounding it, not repeating the same sentiment), and b/ their reason is not hatred and bigotry.

Ehh not really.

I'd be pretty sure that is close to exactly what their reasoning was. You don't have to agree with it, of course, but I very much suspect they do quite genuinely believe that. Only real dissent from me would be whether people were just 'reporting on the article', there certainly seemed to be far too many articles doing that too quickly to be coincidence- but then again, it's not like people in general don't immediately leap on and enbiggen stuff they like and agree with even if they didn't have #DeadGamerTears to label it.

I do kind of wish they didn't actually believe what they do much of the time, but that's a rather different sentiment. The 'Gamers are Dead' article had a basic, supportable premise- from a certain point of view. It was also poorly thought out and was, charitably, always going to be very inflammatory by its nature or less charitably, was deliberately designed to be such. In context it was deeply misguided in execution at least, if not in intent.

Aluminiumtrioxid: we've been on this ride for 6 months. Wasting an hour here or there is a drop in the ocean.

My conclusions derive from giving lower ratings for games with questionable content, click-bait journalism and general disdain for the audience. No self-respecting person would conduct in such behaviour unless they want to the change/destroy the industry. Of course the customers did not agree and here we are. 

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Aluminiumtrioxid: we've been on this ride for 6 months. Wasting an hour here or there is a drop in the ocean.

My conclusions derive from giving lower ratings for games with questionable content, click-bait journalism and general disdain for the audience. No self-respecting person would conduct in such behaviour unless they want to the change/destroy the industry. Of course the customers did not agree and here we are. 

The second video is more important than the first if you ask me.

Ehh not really. 

[citation needed]

What you're dealing with here is, essentially, a paranoid conspiracy theory, and like most conspiracy theories, reason and facts are no match for it. Try convincing a 9/11 Truther that the World Trade Center wasn't brought down by a controlled demolition and see how much success you have. There's no convincing them that those windmills they're tilting at are not, in fact, giants in disguise.

[citation needed]

• Like 3

I just have no idea why you think the fact that you're not their audience and they make this quite clear must mean they have a general disdain for the people they do consider to be their audience.

Also, giving a game a lower rating based on "questionable content" is, ultimately, as much a subjective metric as giving a game a lower rating because it lacks a FOV slider. It's not like you a/ can't just read the article and adjust the final rating based on the fact that the complaints raised are irrelevant to you, and b/ are forced to only consume reviews by people who assign ratings based on criteria you feel are irrelevant. This is the beauty of the free market.

I chuckled a lot recently when it was revealed in a recent interview that most of the characters in a game panned by certain revieSJWers for misogynism were written by a woman.

Makes sense given the average SJW is some groveling white guy.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"Alleged grass roots movement blames favourite victim group for media bias, assigning unrealistic influence and motive to group."

Meanwhile, issues like Youtube's copyright strike practices go relatively undiscussed.  :skeptical:

This statement is false.