Movies you've seen recently

LadyCrimson

I don't want to sound like a snob, but I feel you can't really appreciate Stalker without reading the source first. the movie is just too bizarre on its own. also, not Tarkovsky's best for sure. personally, I love Andrei Rublev. 

oh, reading that book will also help you appreciate the games more :D

Is knowing Russian important to enjoying Stalker? I've read the Roadside Picnic, but I never watched Stalker because I felt like subtitles would undermine the movie.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

For those wishing to experience a true classic in cinema I can truly recommend the following film, a touching study of oppression, racism and the expansionist zeal that drove the iron roads across America. The players and power mongers of this piece are truly villainous at times, but one has to ask oneself whether their amorality is warranted in a harsh, frontier where there is only so much law as there are steady hands and loose triggers?

However the real heart of the film is the close bonds that developed beyween the railroad workers, their simple banter around the campfire, and the honest enjoyment they express while partaking in a simple meal. It always brings a tear to my eyes, and expresses a hearty bon homie that may charm even the most jaded heart:

Cinema at its finest i'm sure you'll agree.

• Like 4

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Is knowing Russian important to enjoying Stalker? I've read the Roadside Picnic, but I never watched Stalker because I felt like subtitles would undermine the movie.

I've not watched Stalker in a while. but the actors in it are very good, so a bad English overdub could really hurt. as for the dialogue itself, I remember there being a lot of metaphysical stuff, but a quality translation should be enough for you to enjoy it if you do decide to watch it with subtitles.

actually, I'll go watch it right now to make sure

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I read Roadside Picnic about half a year ago and I cannot for the life of me see what people find so brilliant in it. Perhaps it was a groundbreaker when it came out but I found it to be pretty mediocre honestly. Had hella high expectations though, maybe that was it. But I was very disappointed in it all-in-all.

Then I read Canticle for Leibowitz afterwards which quickly turned out to be one of my best reading experiences ever. :)

Anyways, watched About Schmidt yesterday. Very good. Nicholson is extremely good. One of those instances where you go "oh hey, it's *that* actor" and then he just... becomes the character and you kinda forget that you're watching "*that* actor".

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I read Roadside Picnic about half a year ago and I cannot for the life of me see what people find so brilliant in it. Perhaps it was a groundbreaker when it came out but I found it to be pretty mediocre honestly. Had hella high expectations though, maybe that was it. But I was very disappointed in it all-in-all.

Then I read Canticle for Leibowitz afterwards which quickly turned out to be one of my best reading experiences ever. :)

Anyways, watched About Schmidt yesterday. Very good. Nicholson is extremely good. One of those instances where you go "oh hey, it's *that* actor" and then he just... becomes the character and you kinda forget that you're watching "*that* actor".

Hah: I disliked Canticle for Leibowitz. I don't think the Roadside Picnic was exactly brilliant, but I rather enjoyed it, especially being a fan of the Stalker games. Personal taste, I suppose.

I've not watched Stalker in a while. but the actors in it are very good, so a bad English overdub could really hurt. as for the dialogue itself, I remember there being a lot of metaphysical stuff, but a quality translation should be enough for you to enjoy it if you do decide to watch it with subtitles.

actually, I'll go watch it right now to make sure

Report back after. :p

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

As someone who grew up with subtitles I don't understand when native English speakers get so upset with them. They don't even register for me anymore. I read them on a subconscious level.

In fact, I think the fact that everything is being dubbed in dutch these days is the reason all the kids in the next generation can't speak English for beans - I certainly learned it from english language cartoons.

As someone who grew up with subtitles I don't understand when native English speakers get so upset with them. They don't even register for me anymore. I read them on a subconscious level.

In fact, I think the fact that everything is being dubbed in dutch these days is the reason all the kids in the next generation can't speak English for beans - I certainly learned it from english language cartoons.

Same here, i learned english through watching M.A.S.K. and Transformers with subtitles.

Dubbing is the work of Satan.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I only speak American and subtitles are a secular jewish pinko conspiracy.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

After watching the Romance of the Three Kingdoms 2010 it was quite a jolt going back to a non subtitled film, I think it also completely ruined Game of Thrones for me, the latter now appears small, prosaic and provincial in comparison.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Watched LA Takedown after Heat, rather noticeable what difference the actors made. Well and everything being less 80s.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I've never had a problem with subtitles. Heh, I remember when Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was released a friend of mine came over with the dvd and we set it up to watch.. and my mother walked in to overhear us both exclaiming "What? Why is this English dubbed? Quick, turn it to mandarin and put the subtitles on!!"

She found that rather bizarre.

Of course, I grew up in a house with a mostly deaf mother who used the subtitles from teletext for tv shows when she could, so it's never bothered me seeing text at the bottom of the scream.

Which kind of amuses me when you got text descriptions of "soulful music" or "moment of silence, followed by terrified scream"

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

My favorite subtitle text description ever is still [crying in spanish]. You only get that patronising bull when you put on american closed captions though. :p At least, I've never seen a dutch subtitle set translate anything that way.

The other one I find amusing is that it's now assumed everyone will recognise what a Wilhelm Scream is.. and that it gets used as a subtitle.

[Wilhelm Scream from the elevator shaft]

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Oh no, I think dubbing is almost absolutely worse than just plain subtitles. Unless the dubbing is truly excellent (we're talking like DBZ Abridged level quality, so never, basically), I'd rather take just subtitles. What I actually was asking is if the experience would be ruined if I just didn't flat out know Russian. :p

Edited by Bartimaeus

well, there's some poetry being read by actors, those parts will definitely be ruined. otherwise, it's pretty straightforward, no references to Russian culture stood out to me, so if the subs are good go for it.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Unless the dubbing is truly excellent (we're talking like DBZ Abridged level quality, so never, basically), I'd rather take just subtitles.

Oh man, best YouTube show ever. I'm STILL quoting Nappa all the time. It's only worth watching for Dragonball fans, but boy is it added value.

well, there's some poetry being read by actors, those parts will definitely be ruined. otherwise, it's pretty straightforward, no references to Russian culture stood out to me, so if the subs are good go for it.

Thanks. :)

Unless the dubbing is truly excellent (we're talking like DBZ Abridged level quality, so never, basically), I'd rather take just subtitles.

Oh man, best YouTube show ever. I'm STILL quoting Nappa all the time. It's only worth watching for Dragonball fans, but boy is it added value.

I've never watched Dragonball, and, in fact, I dislike the vast majority of anime art styles (only exception I can think of at the moment is Avatar), and I generally dislike it as a medium altogether. I still like DBZ Abridged, though. :p

I saw the Devil

Sweet Jesus.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

For me personally i'd rather see a sequel to Dredd than a dozen more Marvel films.

The Karl Urban one, right?

That was the only Dredd movie ever made.

Although the Stallone one had points for Max Von Sydow as a Judge exiled to the Wasteland. It had a lot of good stuff in it, except the Stallone bits which were self evidently in the majority. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

For me personally i'd rather see a sequel to Dredd than a dozen more Marvel films.

The Karl Urban one, right?

That was the only Dredd movie ever made.

Although the Stallone one had points for Max Von Sydow as a Judge exiled to the Wasteland. It had a lot of good stuff in it, except the Stallone bits which were self evidently in the majority.

Really if they had cast someone willing to keep the helmet on, and ditched Rob schneider's character it would have been a good movie.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

At least Stallone's Dredd resulted in some awesomely funny YouTube videos. Which I won't post again. But ... yeah. I love what people do with bad movies, these days, sometimes.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

saw It Follows and was disappointed. it starts off nice, but loses its pace rather early into the movie. the last third is mind numbingly boring

Walsingham said: