Movies you've seen recently

LadyCrimson

Now watching 3rd Hobbit movie. It's ok so far. Maybe the big battle will be exciting. :p

Edit1 - still hate the CGI orc leader guy. Just don't like total-CGI faces, bits make me think I'm watching a game trailer.

Edit2: haha, having a hug and convo in the middle of a busy battlefield.

Edit3: Legolas is still totally badass

Edit4: Well the last half hour was entertaining enough. The trilogy as a whole is "meh" but the 3rd movie was, for me anyway, the most watchable.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

That's also how I felt...though unlike you, I generally thought having Legolas in any of them was kinda lame. Tauriel I'm okay with, but Legolas always feels like he's trying too hard...:p

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Yeah, I don't feel like Legolas really fit into the story all that well in The Hobbit series, except that bit to attach it to the LotR films at the end perhaps. I just mean I find him ludicrously awesome in his shenanigans. His otherworldly bowslinging, rock leaping, bounding off of enemies etc. It's ... entertaining. He should be in the Avengers.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It just lacked all the charm of the original.

So...unlike the original, are you trying to say it's actually watchable? :p

(Just kidding - I know that almost certainly means it'll somehow be much worse than the original.)

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I quite liked the "prequel" The Thing they made a few years back. Telling the story of what happened at the Norwegians camp...  The funny thing was that the advanced special effects and CGI while looking less wonky and more "real", actually wasn't as creepy/scary/disturbing as the ones in Carpenter's The Thing.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

That one had a troubled effects history, where they used puppetry that looked way more disturbing while filming but the studio decided to put a bunch of rushed CGI tissue over it at the last minute to obscure it because they felt that modern audiences couldn't appreciate that type of special effect anymore. It was still a fairly good film, not as good as Carpenters but it had some inspired moments.

still waiting for the sequel based on the game

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

MEGAFORCE (1982) - Stuntmaster Hal Needham's ode to motorcycles and dune buggies.  And possibly gay men if you believe modern interpretations of the film.

Okay so I watch a lot of bad films.  I'm not going to deny it.  But even with that background, this movie made me "WTF" several times.  At its heart, its a loosely strung together series of stunt setpieces (motorcycle jumps, dune buggy jumps, wheelies) with some action movie explosions (and lasers, because its post STAR WARS).  It makes virtually no sense; the plot is about as thin as you'd ever see in any film.

With all the explosions and lasers, the most incredible effect might actually be Barry Bostwick's hair, which should have won the Academy Award that year.  I'm not sure what category or if Oscar just needed to create a special hair Oscar that year like the Shirley Temple or Snow White special oscars they did in the past.  But its totally incredible and unlike anything on film before or since.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I think I saw my first boobs in a National Lampoon's Vacation movie. I think those boobs still rank pretty high of all the boobs I have since seen.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Rewatched Carpenter's The Thing.

Some of the effects have become a bit wonky, but overall still an extremely effective horror movie.

One of the best. A classic.

I quite liked the "prequel" The Thing they made a few years back.

Ugh .... I remember that disaster. Unfortunately

Edited by Luj1

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

It's kind of surprising that they can't get Juliette Lewis and the guy from Big Bang Theory to come back, since they are both still acting but not terribly busy.  Although Christina Applegate and the guy from the Office are decent casting.  Still, Chevy Chase looks as miserable as he apparently acts towards everyone.  

Its funny, I thought the Thing prequel was pretty good...until I watched it with the earlier film. It proved a poor cousin indeed.

Although I still enjoyed some parts of it, it's not a patch on either earlier film.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Still find it hard to take this seriously. :p

I think I saw my first boobs in a National Lampoon's Vacation movie. I think those boobs still rank pretty high of all the boobs I have since seen.

I think it was the Blue Lagoon for me. :> I was like "what the hell is this movie omygod?" - keep in mind, I was very young at that time and the movie already quite old (I think release was something around 1980 or something)

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

"The days of my breaking into stuff (etc) are over. What do you want me to do?"

laughing.gif that was cute. Graphix are spiffy, as always. I like Corey Stoll. Paul Rudd is a little harder to picture but...could be fun. I'm guessing it has more humor so maybe Rudd fits.

But seriously...Antman? I had no idea there was an Antman. Well, as long as it's not Howard the Duck.

Howard the Duck is coming, and it will be glorious.

Also has anyone checked out the Daredevil tv show on Netflix? One episode in and it's obvious the season is going to be fan-freaking-tastic.

Edited by Serrano

Also has anyone checked out the Daredevil tv show on Netflix? One episode in and it's obvious the season is going to be fan-freaking-tastic.

I think most of the DD discussion is in the TV thread, but if you think its good now, wait till Fisk shows up.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Really?