Movies you've seen recently

LadyCrimson

Grosse Pointe Blank. Still one of my favorite comedy+action movies ever.

• Like 3
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Recently I saw

'71 - this is the top of my list , a brilliant civil war thriller

Black Sea - a hasty/sloppy start , but otherwise I feel this is a great submarine thriller (perhaps a little underrated)

Battle of the Five Armies - Good movie to take your kids to, but not for Tolkien purists xD

John Wick - ridiculous action flick. Fun to watch with a good friend but its no serious movie by any means.

Inherent Vice - a solid pulp movie about the 70s. A bit long and based on a book. Lots of drugs and hippies.

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

May I add Captain Phillips , which I watched yesterday. A suspenseful thriller/drama based on the 2009 Somali hijacking of a US cargo boat. Tom's acting was brilliant and the movie quite good, but maybe a half hour too long. Recommended.

~ Kaine

Leviatan - 2014

Russia is eternally ****ed in spirit.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Interstellar

Didn't realize it was such a long movie. We started it late and hubby went to bed in the middle, while I watched everything but the last 30 minutes or so. I'll finish it tonight.

It's one of those movies where sometimes you feel like "nothing much is really happening" yet you can't stop watching because it still mesmerizes you somehow. Better than Gravity imo, although the bits on Earth are the least interesting.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Watched the rest of Interstellar. I liked it quite a lot up until the ending, which used time paradox and lack of any real explanation for its kewl ending premise. Made me go "huh...ok." But worth the watch and for some that type of ending is probably awesome. It just makes me scratch my head, tho. Kinda like 2001.

I liked the robots. I've known some people I wish I could've turned their humor % down on, at times. :lol:

Oh aye. He was very good. I've always liked him. Although, ever since Jim Carrey has made fun of those automobile ads on SNL, it's been difficult for me not to picture those at times, when watching Matthew.

edit:

• Like 1

Nightbreed directors cut. I liked, and am wondering if we will see a continuation.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Watched the rest of Interstellar. I liked it quite a lot up until the ending, which used time paradox and lack of any real explanation for its kewl ending premise. Made me go "huh...ok." But worth the watch and for some that type of ending is probably awesome. It just makes me scratch my head, tho. Kinda like 2001.

I liked the robots. I've known some people I wish I could've turned their humor % down on, at times. laughing.gif

I heard that the original script ending was going to be Maconohay trapped in a black hole not sure if his signal had got out or not. Apparently it was changed because it was too bleak.

I heard that the original script ending was going to be Maconohay trapped in a black hole not sure if his signal had got out or not. Apparently it was changed because it was too bleak.

Would definitely have been bleak! ... but I might've liked that ending more.

Oh aye. He was very good. I've always liked him. Although, ever since Jim Carrey has made fun of those automobile ads on SNL, it's been difficult for me not to picture those at times, when watching Matthew.

edit:

LOL, love Jim!

~ Kaine

Would definitely have been bleak! ... but I might've liked that ending more.

I would've loved that ending way more. It may be bleak but uncertainty is key for good endings to such philosophical movies. And it'd be way more realistic than this happy-ending. No way in my mind he'd be able to get back to earth from that situation lol. No way.

I really loved the movie but the ending was too happy and too impossible for me.

Edited by Luj1

~ Kaine

Nightbreed directors cut. I liked, and am wondering if we will see a continuation.

Supposedly whatever exists of Morgan Creek has been pitching a cable TV show continuation of it, with Clive's involvement at some level.  Barker's said he might revist the story.  And there is a comic book continuation going on now from IDW.

I watched THE STING (1973).  Been awhile since I'd see it, so I only partially remember bits.  Good film.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I watched THE STING (1973).  Been awhile since I'd see it, so I only partially remember bits.  Good film.

Whoa are we talking serious cinematography here ? :)

Don't get me started here haha :p

Tarkovsky

Bergman

Bunuel

Kurosawa

Herzog

My favorite movie is definitely Stalker (1979). I realized that only after the third time I watched it.

My second favorite is Aguire (1972), a less known film - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068182/

~ Kaine

That robot design was visionary to say the least.

EDIT: I felt Interstellar's strongest point was its mid development. The beginning felt sloppy and the end was unsatisfactory. It was too happy (the ending) for my taste and felt improbable to say the least ( I mean that he'd find his way come). Such impossible things kill the immersion for me.

The scrapped ending in which he ended up trapped in the black hole unsure whether his signal got out was much better.

Edited by Luj1

~ Kaine

uh-huh
black-monolith-2001-a-space-odyssey.jpg

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Maybe its a covert omage (incase of which that'd be brilliant) but its still a fantastic design.

~ Kaine

I don't dislike the film or anything like that, but for me the best thing about 2001 was ... the music. And HAL, who was awesome. Other than that, it's sort of hypnotic at times, but mostly that leads to me falling asleep.

• Like 1

I'll never forget a friend of mine explaining that the appeal of 2001 was lost on anyone who didn't see it at the theater during its original release...

...because at the time there would be enough people chain smoking marijuana that you'd get high too, even if you weren't smoking anything.

:lol:

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

"These aren't the droid's you're looking for."

...still classic.

Seventh Son, i waited long for this movie but it was in dev. hell for a long time.

It was rather enjoyable i have to say, pretty good fantasy movie. But god damn that accent forced upon Jeff Bridges in this movie almost ruins it. The acting overall is good, effects are good and the story has potential but never really picks it up. To make it short, its a good fantasy popcorn movie ;)

Edited by cirdanx

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."