Movies you've seen recently

LadyCrimson

He did. He was awesome in the role. That doesn't eman the enxt one needs to be white. The new 'Kingpin' should have been named Queenpin and been a Cuban  woman in celebration of the new 'friendship' with the US. :)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Oh, Kingpin's actually white this time.

Yo, Vinnie D, I'm really happy for you, I'ma let you finish, but Michael Clarke Duncan had one of the best Kingpins of all time! One of the best Kingpins of all time!

only two good things from the daredevil movie... maybe three.

1) michael clarke duncan were indeed a good kingpin.  an enormous, heavy-set guy who fought (literally) his way up from the mean streets?  mr. duncan, god rest his soul, were selling tough w/o needing to speak.  d'onofrio oozes  crazy far more than tough.  if kingpin we s'posed to be a big, white, straight-jacket bedecked psycho, d'onofrio would be our first choice... top three at worst.

2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15qc3_joy5A

we got a weird soft-spot for somewhat silly, angry and irish rap.  

3) ...

jennifer garner were hawt.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Less than halfway into a rental of Birdman and I already know I must own a copy.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Bleck. Like TrueNeutral, I really did not like Hotel Transylvania. :(

Big Hero 6. It was decent. I liked it about as much as I liked Maleficent - Wreck-it-Ralph and all the others definitely ranked higher. I didn't much like any particular character, which really hurt the movie for me, and I most definitely did not like San Frantokyo. :p

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

What's with all this battle of the sexes mentality. I was going to say 'feminist', but of course it cuts both ways. I'm not talking about the movie in particular, but more the notion of having that dichotomy as a selling point. Trust me it's going to be the new zombie  black. 

It's nothing new, but it's going to come in droves untill you are sick of it.

Gorgon's razor sharp cultural analysis ©

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Cinderella (2015) - another of Disney's big budget fantasy fairy tale remakes.  This one is less revisionist (although it is a little) and is a fairly straightforward adaption of the fairy tale.  You'll definitely hate the stepmother by the end (if you don't start there).

Night Train to Paris (1964) - Leslie Nielsen in one of his leading man roles, shows a bit of the sense of humor we knew him by in his later career.  2 years after Dr. No, but before Spy-Fi really hit in the late 60s, we get a fairly down to earth spy story.  With its moody B&W photography it is part Film Noir, part down-to-earth Spy-Film, part romantic comedy (shades of CHARADE or ARABESQUE), and part Peter Gunn (with its driving Jazz soundtrack).  Nielsen is good as the ex-OSS agent pulled back into helping a friend in Europe.  Pretending to be a photographers assistant traveling with models in order to deliver a tape to the right hands.  Aliza Gur and Dorinda Stevens do well as the female leads who Nielsen can only partially trust.  Eric Pohlmann is a solid heavy - the spy killer stopping at nothing to get the tape.  While the reputation of the film is rather modest, I think its probably worth a second look.

Footsteps in the Night (1957) - the last of the Detective series that saw western star Wild Bill Elliot play a sheriff investigating murder in Hollywood.  More Dragnet than murder mystery, the series followed the procedures of the department as they looked for their man.  This entry was interesting simply because of how scattered the entire thing was (I would have never guessed how it all happened, even if the show kind of telegraphed who did it).  Also fun to see perennial TV Guest star Douglas **** as the wrongly accused.

The Case of the Stuttering Bishop (1937) - The last of WB's adaptions of Earle Stanley Gardner's Perry Masons.  After Warren WIlliams left the series (two movies ago) the series moved away from the Thin Man-esque boozy, breezy mystery solving and returned to Gardner's original take on the character.  All of the pieces familiar to audiences of the 50s TV series are here (in fact, the novel this is based on was adapted to the TV series).  Its a fun movie if you like Perry Mason as its a good take on the mix of detection and court room theatrics.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

How would you compare Cinderella versus Maleficent and/or Alice? (I like Maleficent, I don't like Alice.)

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

I didn't like it as much as I did Maleficent. 

It has less...Tim Burton than Alice.   Alice is - to me - just a frustrating film to watch; for every good bit there's a bad bit and a lot of it doesn't hang together very well.  

Cinderella is - to me - one of the hardest fairy tales to sit through just simply because the subject matter.  Cinderella does a good job of capturing that but it makes the beginning drag a bit because you have to watch as the plot dumps so much misfortune on Ella before the story can get her to her Fairy Godmother and the Prince's ball (which is a pretty well done sequence in the story and the movie really takes off once everyones goal is to get to the ball).

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Hey Gorgon, I noticed your Avatar that's that bad guy who fought Jet Li in...I think it was called Legends.  That was an excellent movie! That final fight was amazing.  By the way did you ever see Flash Point with Donnie Yen? Now that final fight was unbelievable :D

I didn't like it as much as I did Maleficent. 

It has less...Tim Burton than Alice.   Alice is - to me - just a frustrating film to watch; for every good bit there's a bad bit and a lot of it doesn't hang together very well.  

Cinderella is - to me - one of the hardest fairy tales to sit through just simply because the subject matter.  Cinderella does a good job of capturing that but it makes the beginning drag a bit because you have to watch as the plot dumps so much misfortune on Ella before the story can get her to her Fairy Godmother and the Prince's ball (which is a pretty well done sequence in the story and the movie really takes off once everyones goal is to get to the ball).

I would hope it has less Tim Burton than Alice, seeing how Tim Burton is not involved at all. :p Last Tim Burton movie I can think of that I liked even moderately was probably Nightmare, which I still am not the biggest fan of.

Not sure what I'll think of it. Commercials make it look pretty bad, but commercials have been making everything look bad, so...

Metropolis that silent classic from the 20's. I need to find the Blu-ray for this.

• Like 1

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Wasn't there a recent archaeological recovery of some importance for that movie?

They added 25 minutes or so to the movie after finding a longer version of it in Argentina.

• Like 1

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester