Movies you've seen recently

LadyCrimson

somewhere around Memento (EDIT: or was LA Confidential filmed first? either of the two)

you should watch Rover  :brows:

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

somewhere around Memento (EDIT: or was LA Confidential filmed first? either of the two)

you should watch Rover  :brows:

I think it was Priscilla, actually.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Stonehearst Asylum.

Based on one of Edgar Allen Poe's short stories about a young doctor who goes to an obscure asylum to study and get clinical hours, it turns into one of those "have the inmates replaced the staff?" sort of twisted stories. Ben Kingsley, Michael Caine, Kate Beckinsale and a few others doing quite good portrayals. It had a nice little twist to the end as well.

Although I will say, it was a lot less darker and suspenseful than the trailers made it appear, or that Poe's work usually tends to. It's entertaining in it's genre way, but doesn't really push the madness of the moment.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Bought the Lord of the Rings trilogy on Blu ray finally and started to watch them.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Stonehearst Asylum.

Based on one of Edgar Allen Poe's short stories about a young doctor who goes to an obscure asylum to study and get clinical hours, it turns into one of those "have the inmates replaced the staff?" sort of twisted stories. Ben Kingsley, Michael Caine, Kate Beckinsale and a few others doing quite good portrayals. It had a nice little twist to the end as well.

Although I will say, it was a lot less darker and suspenseful than the trailers made it appear, or that Poe's work usually tends to. It's entertaining in it's genre way, but doesn't really push the madness of the moment.

Yeah, this was not what I expected. I thought it was super predictable too, but then that last twist threw me for a loop.

Wreck-It-Ralph. I liked it more than Maleficent, for sure - but I think I liked it a little less than Tangled, which I liked less than Frozen. Overall, though, I'm pretty impressed by what Disney's been doing lately. I've never much liked 3D animation, and I think I'm beginning to understand why. Pixar, for the last fifteen years or so, has been pretty much the face of 3D animation. Dreamworks has a hit like Shrek here and there, but it's been almost entirely Pixar outside of that. Disney's movies since their last 2D animation (Atlantis - and discounting Princess and the Frog) were Lilo & Stitch, Treasure Planet, Brother Bear, Home on the Range, Chicken Little, Meet the Robinsons, Bolt...I've literally only seen Lilo & Stitch out of these, and some parts of Treasure Planet.

And then...I look at Pixar's main movies/series.

b54b88adea.jpg

And then it hits me...I haven't much liked any 3D animated movies because I don't like Pixar's art styles. I've also always felt like 3D animation had lost some of the charm that 2D animation had for reasons unrelated to the art-style...and again, that's because of Pixar: their story settings. They're almost all modern and/or completely fantastical (Monsters, Cars, Toy Story...). Their over-blobification of humans, their over-usage of inanimate objects like toys and cars...talking fish and rats... I like more classical settings, like Sleeping Beauty's or even Frozen's. I like human characters...but I like for them to actually at least somewhat resemble humans - I still don't think Disney's way of doing it is perfect, but Tangled's and Frozen's have been infinitely better in my eyes than anything Pixar has done in that regard. My favorite Pixar movie is WALL-E...and I guess it's not really a surprise why anymore. Semi-realistic projection of Earth in the future, robots taking the spotlight instead of humans so I don't have to look at Pixar's ugly human faces the entire movie, fairly minimal (for an animated movie) dialogue...

Yep, for once, I look forward to the future of 3D animation...so long as Disney continues to ride high, possibly at Pixar's expense. :p

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Have you seen the Paperman short? Disney came the closest anyone has to 2d using 3d software, but it still doesn't replicate the warmth and feeling hand-drawn has.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Yeah, I thought it was pretty neat. I wonder if they ever plan on doing something with that.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty neat. I wonder if they ever plan on doing something with that.

I heard their polynesian mythology influenced one coming in like 2018 was going to use it

Devastatorsig.jpg

I heard their polynesian mythology influenced one coming in like 2018 was going to use it

Nope, tech wasn't ready. Their oscar winning short, Feast, however, did use it.

I liked Genndy Tartakovsky's HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA a lot in terms of using 2D animation thought and aesthetics into 3D.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I dunno, I liked it but I have a soft spot for classic style monsters, I admit.

I'll be interested in seeing what he does with Popeye, certainly.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I do too, that's why I disliked it particularely. >_>

I bet you didn't like MAD MONSTER PARTY either. :p

• Like 1

MOONRAKER (1979) - Eon skipped the previously announced FOR YOUR EYES ONLY to leap into the space craze with Moonraker.  A plot that is highly similar to the previous outing (bad guy steals stuff so he can complete plan to eradicate all but his chosen people in his secret sea/space base.  Bond and an agent from another country investigate.  Jaws interferes).  They manage to improve on one aspect of the previous film (namely that Drax is a more interesting villain than Stromberg and gets better lines "Make sure some harm befalls him").  But the rest of the story is languid and there's one set piece too many (did we need another boat chase?).  Jaws makes a welcome return but as so much reminds one of THE SPY WHO LOVED ME its hard not to notice that this film isn't, ultimately, as good as that one.

MINISTRY OF FEAR (1944) - Ray Milland plays a man just released from a prison for the insane who stumbles upon a spy plot by accident.  A wrong man thriller based on a Grahame Green story and directed by Fritz Lang.  Lots of moody lighting and good suspense.

SINBAD: THE 5TH VOYAGE (2014) - while I applaud the idea of going back and doing stop motion animation adventure film (just like Ray Harryhausen did back in the day), I can't help but wonder how writer, director and star Shahin Sean Solimon would look at the Harryhausen films and make such a leaden and grim film.  The Harryhausen films (even to CLASH OF THE TITANS) were direct descendants of the swashbuckling films.  Derring do, excitement, humour, thrills and fun.  This film lacks that, instead Sinbad is more in line with a taciturn Batman than the Sinbad of the Harryhausen films.  The stop motion animation is okay, but often staged in uninteresting ways.  Almost no character but Sinbad has any development and remains a cypher through the story.  A real dissapointment (possibly because the intent to do a modern day Harryhausen film - even with a low budget - is an exciting prospect). 

New male centric Ghostbusters movie announced with Dan Aykroid and Ivan Reitman producing. Women/SJWs freak about why can't it have both men and women while praising female only one. Hypocrisy is fun.

I agree with the "why can't it have both?" crowd, but apply the same to the female only one too. Rumored first casting is Channing Tatum and Chris Pratt, who would fit wonderfully with some of the female GB cast.

Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg

"The women one will be superior."

L0L Not with mcCarthy in it it won't be.

Also, this new GB movie is not enccessarily all male. Also, the two films are going to be connected and likely will be a 3rd movie with both groups combined.

Stilll.. why can't we simply have a GB3 where the old team passes the torch to a new team where gender is just not that important.  HOLY MOLY!

Daredevil: Ben Affleck is better. But, it has True Blood Gal in it so that is bonus points!

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.