[435] Enemies still have poor targeting AI (and other bugs)

Sensuki

Question

In this video, I lure Sevis into targeting the BB Priest (all of the other ones do because she's the closest party member). I run the BB Priest behind another character and block the pathing space to the BB Priest. Sevis takes a very long time to target another character. Some of the other characters have the same issue.

In this video, you can see that Stone Beetles qualify for target re-acquisition after they burrow (but only if they burrow). Wood Beetles however have horrible targeting AI. The Wood Beetle never stops targeting the first character they saw. It decided to use it's corrode spit twice on the closest character to it at a certain point in time, but then went back to targeting the character it originally saw.

You can also see that in this video, engagements are still buggy. Does engagement check for isMoving? Because a) That wood beetle should never have been able to get an engagement on that character, and b) the engagement should have ended as soon as it started moving.

Ancient Memory also plays hit SFX when it hits party members, when it shouldn't. I'll bet this happens on other friendly ticking auras as well (Chants, perhaps), and friendly buff spells.

I will keep adding videos on this subject, with other bugs I find while I'm doing it Edited by Sensuki

6 answers to this question

In this video you can see that bears also need an updated targeting loop, but it's a lot faster than Sevis or beetles. It's also possible to pull them away from Korgrak. Korgrak should come out and attack you if you attack the bears IMO.

Edited by Sensuki

Just for comparison, here's a snippet from my IWD Let's Play that shows how good the AI targeting in Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter was

Fast forward to 1:30

Look how fast the Verbeeg switch targets based on movement and situation changes in combat. I move a character back, the Verbeeg instantly switches targets, which I think only happens in this game if a character is engaged by multiple enemies and one enemy leaves engagement. Very soon after another Verbeeg targets one character, and then instantly after it gets hit, it switches to the character that landed the first melee hit on it. Great stuff.

Edited by Sensuki

Spider targeting - they only target the first unit that attacked unless they are engaged. AI targeting does not update at all.

Other misc bugs:

Disengagement attacks still going off against enemies running at the party.