Obsidian's Preference - Our Purchase

Get a backer to buy you the game. $25 (cheaper than retail) and Obsidian get the full monayz

However the sale might be important than the amount, so perhaps get retail if you want to do them the biggest favor

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 5

Options on the preorder page:

Paradox Store (Steam key)
Steam Store (Steam key)
Gamersgate (Steam key)
Greenman Gaming (Steam key)
Gamasavr (Steam key)
Muve.pl (Steam key)
GOG.com (DRM-free)

I <3 GOG. :)
Edited by ddillon
  • Like 2

Anywhere you decide buy the game there is somebody else (if not anybody else there is always payment handling company and tax man) that takes cut of payment before it reaches Obsidian. But if you want to support Obsidian most I would guess that they get most money from those most expensive versions of game that come with most additional digital goods when you buy them from one of stores that they advertise on PoE's web page.

• Like 1

Get a backer to buy you the game. $25 (cheaper than retail) and Obsidian get the full monayz

However the sale might be important than the amount, so perhaps get retail if you want to do them the biggest favor

I thought that the backer beta did not turn into a retail copy.  In other words, I still need to buy the full game anyway, so I paid $25 + $50 in the long run :)

I had a question related to this, so I'll slap it here as it's somewhat related.

A previous poster in this thread quoted a list of sites/methods to acquire PoE, but I didn't see G2A listed. Is G2A a valid/safe/legit method for purchasing PoE?

Edited by Emerwyn

I had a question related to this, so I'll slap it here as it's somewhat related.

A previous poster in this thread quoted a list of sites/methods to acquire PoE, but I didn't see G2A listed. Is G2A a valid/safe/legit method for purchasing PoE?

Kinda. I'm not 100% informed on the details but IIRC G2A like Kinguin is one of those greymarket resellers. They get their key from "somewhere" so cheap they can resell them way below the official price and still make money.

It's not illegal, but Ubisoft and EA have already deactivated such keys in the past, so take that as you will.

Kinda. I'm not 100% informed on the details but IIRC G2A like Kinguin is one of those greymarket resellers. They get their key from "somewhere" so cheap they can resell them way below the official price and still make money.

It's not illegal, but Ubisoft and EA have already deactivated such keys in the past, so take that as you will.

IIRC they get the keys from "reviewers."

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

I thought that the backer beta did not turn into a retail copy.  In other words, I still need to buy the full game anyway, so I paid $25 + $50 in the long run :)

The backer beta is just that, the beta. But backers are still able to buy additional game copies for $25, too ( I think until release, have to check). That would be the full game then, without any extras like art books, lore books, guide books and such.

Edit: Just checked, and buying is still possible. Digital clue books and such are available at additional price, too.

Edited by cmergler

How does one get a backer to buy one the game?

You are better off waiting for release and buying it from GoG for a variety of reasons.  I wish backers would stop offering to buy keys for people, you are hurting Obsidian by doing so.  It isn't a question of "money".  Anything you buy as a backer is considered "funding" and doesn't count as a purchase of the game.  For Obsidian to get their game selling people need to buy it from something other than a backer.... and by the way, they still probably make more money when you buy a retail copy.  I doubt GoG gets 40+% of the take on a sale.

You are better off waiting for release and buying it from GoG for a variety of reasons.  I wish backers would stop offering to buy keys for people, you are hurting Obsidian by doing so.  It isn't a question of "money".  Anything you buy as a backer is considered "funding" and doesn't count as a purchase of the game.  For Obsidian to get their game selling people need to buy it from something other than a backer.... and by the way, they still probably make more money when you buy a retail copy.  I doubt GoG gets 40+% of the take on a sale.

GoG takes 30%, but you're right that have it on the top sellers list is probably better than giving them an extra 30%. However, if you're doing that you should buy on steam as that's the bigger platform and its relatively more important to be a top seller there than on GoG.

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

GoG takes 30%, but you're right that have it on the top sellers list is probably better than giving them an extra 30%. However, if you're doing that you should buy on steam as that's the bigger platform and its relatively more important to be a top seller there than on GoG.

Rather not as Steam is also DRM hell and pointless achievements that have only made gaming worse.

Rather not as Steam is also DRM hell and pointless achievements that have only made gaming worse.

Except the topic of thread is which is the best place for Obsidian for you to buy from... And I think steam is the clear answer there.

-Josh Sawyer