Weapon talents - do they stack?

Yabaddi

My fighter already has a talent called "Weapon and shield style" and I was wondering if it would stack with "one-handed style"? I also have a rogue in my party and was thinking about choosing extra one-handed style as a bonus to the one he has already - two weapon style. Would it work together?

Weapon and shield style would only work while using both a weapon and a shield - one handed style is for using ONLY a one handed weapon (other hand empty) so no they do not stack but yes they would each work under the proper circumstances.

Same for the second one handed means one hand only two weapon means a weapon in each both would work but not at the same time.

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

As Wanderson said, no, they would not stack.

That being said, I think that "One-handed Style" should be renamed "Duelist Style" and the description clarified. I personally don't think that it's very confusing, but I can see how someone could potentially find it confusing. Way back when, I always wondered in Baldur's Gate II, too, even though the answer should've been pretty obvious, there was always this nagging feeling that based on the wording, One-handed Style should work with a shield... but of course, it doesn't, and in practice, it shouldn't.

t50aJUd.jpg

There's a glossary entry for Stacking, but the essential information is that there are four broad categories of bonuses: passive, active/modal, equipment, and weapons/shields.

Passive almost always comes from things like Abilities and Talents that you don't need to activate.  All passive bonuses stack.

Active/modal abilities come from spells, Abilities, Talents, consumable items (potions, food), and resting bonuses that are activated and/or have a duration to them.  The highest bonus from this group is applied.  All others are suppressed.

Equipment is everything you don't put in your hand slots.  Armor, hats, gloves, belts, books, cloaks/amulets, etc.  The highest bonus from this group is applied.  All others are suppressed.

Weapons/shields are just weapons and shields.  All of these bonuses stack.

Food and inn bonuses are useful for long-term Attribute checks and Rite scrolls can be used for long-term Skill bonuses.

As Wanderson said, no, they would not stack.

That being said, I think that "One-handed Style" should be renamed "Duelist Style" and the description clarified. I personally don't think that it's very confusing, but I can see how someone could potentially find it confusing. Way back when, I always wondered in Baldur's Gate II, too, even though the answer should've been pretty obvious, there was always this nagging feeling that based on the wording, One-handed Style should work with a shield... but of course, it doesn't, and in practice, it shouldn't.

Would be cool if it was renamed "Duelist style", maybe give it some deflection bonus also as it's definately considered the weakest style *shrug*

• Like 1

Thank you all for clarifying. In fact, that talent's description was confusing for me - all in all, my character is using a single weapon.. On the other hand I'm sacrificing another talent to get this one so why not? Still, I find it worth consideration in future development.