[435] Sinful post-processing effects marring the 2D Backgrounds

Sensuki

Question

In this video there is a clear depth of field/bloom/blur effect on the Dyrford Crossing - it looks _terrible_.

I really hate post-processing effects that blur the nice crisp images/textures in games and it is a sin to include such things over the 2D backgrounds in this game.

I request that these effects be removed, or console commands to disable them be added to the game, because I will not abide depth of field/blur ruining the visual experience for me.

ibelieveincleve.png

DECLINE!

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 9

23 answers to this question

looks *~glamorous~*

would make sense in a dream sequence or something, I guess. but out in the wilderness, I dunno.

I don't like these kinds of effect either and I always turn off DoF and blur (in particular movement blur).

• Like 1

Interesting choice of emoticon. :p

Subconscious yearinings of Sensuki :D

And yeah, this looks like a dream sequence  or looking through a lense, doesn't seem like there should be any reason to do those kind of effects. 

Also - in video it is visible that the effect is weirdly applied during scrolling - it updates after scroll finishes (0:24-0:27)

Agree with Sensuki.

Please remove or provide a means of disabling it.

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Depth of Field is the most awful, illogical effect ever used in a videogame. Could someone explain to me what is the rationale behind it? In any game. Depth of Field effect comes from cameras, which cannot focus to the distance and to close at the same time. But we don't play videogames through a ****ing camera recorder FFS!

I don't even get started using it in an isometric game, because it makes even less sense.

• Like 1

J_C from Codexia

Dear developers, would you please take that **** (DOF) out from the game or make it as an option at least?

Edited by Grotesque
  • Like 1

After my realization that White March has the same XP reward problem, I don't even have the drive to launch game anymore because I hated so much reaching Twin Elms with a level cap in vanilla PoE that I don't wish to relive that experience.

It is supposed to give things a cinematic feel.

But that is not a goal of Pillars of Eternity so.....

As soon as you hear:

• "Cinematic"
  • "Streamlined"

or

• "Next Generation"

You should immediately throw the entire project in the bin and ignore that it ever existed in the first place.

• Like 2

t50aJUd.jpg

I'm pretty sure that is the "you are fatigued" effect.

Are there other player-condition screen effects like that?

It's pretty mild in the video so not a big deal (to me) in this case, but I still don't tend to like overlay screen effects connected to "you are injured/bleeding" "you are tired" "you've been poisoned" etc. in games these days, and would rather not have it here. A visual cue/symbol on the portrait + occasional repeating text reminder or something of that sort would seem sufficient.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It's hooked up to the player specifically.

Cause, there is something special about the player. ;) 

Oh, you mean Sensuki was fatigued? That would actually make sense. ;) Probably some biometric sensors connected to the game on higher tiers...

Anyway, as this is not first person shooter (does anybody mistake it as such?), it would be desirable to make it at least as an optional switch in the menu, initially off. (as you already spent resources implementing it...)

• Like 1

At the end of the day they can't put everything someone dislikes on a toggle. That's a lot of programming and testing time that would be better spent elsewhere. Seeing as it's an effect that only occurs when the main pc is fatigued (and given how long it's taken for someone to notice I'm guessing it only happens when the pc suffers from major fatigue) it''s something you'll only see very rarely and you'll probably be resting soon after you see it anyway.

• Like 1