Looking for a melee class that'd suit me

Hello everyone,

I'm new to these forums but I've been following Pillars of Eternity for some time now. In one month's time, Pillars of Eternity will finally be released (huzzah,) and now more than ever I'm questioning the class I want to have for my main character come launch.

A few things concerning my playstyle:

.: I played Lawful Evil in BGI-II
.: I intend to play Human

.: I loved playing a Priest of Talos/Fighter dual class in Baldur's Gate II

.: I only feel involved when fighting in the front line (Melee)

.: I don't want to be squishy; Off-tank would be preferable

.: I'd like a solid mix of melee prowess and spells

.: However, I don't want my only reliable source of damage to come from spells

.: I'll likely be wearing heavy armor so my casting effecitveness may be in question.

A few things I'd like for my main character:

1.) Good single-target damage

2.) Good (preferabily Great) front-line survivability

3.) Ability to self-buff and heal if need be

4.) To be a total narcissistic bastard; the members of my party will be tools for me to use and nothing more.

I've considered these four classes more so than any other:

1.) Priest (Berath seems to suit my style)

2.) Paladin (I dig the tankiness but their casting seems too limited for my taste)

3.) Chanter (Lots of cool buffs and I LOVE summoned skeletons)

4.) Cipher (Seems like they'd be better off in the back)

Right now I'm learning heavily toward a melee-focused Priest of Berath character, but a Goldpact Knight Paladin may be more up my alley, considering I want to be at the front line and I don't want to cast spells all of the time in order to be effective (Heavy Armor.) Chanter and Cipher also seem really cool, but with all these awesome choices, I have no clue which class would fit my niche the best.

Any feedback would be great!

You'd be best off as a Priest. Paladin has some magic powahs, but not enough to be considered a caster. Chanter is a better summoner IIRC, but doesn't seem to go with what you're looking for. Cipher is closer to a Fighter/Mage and is too fragile to be a tank of any kind.

Bear in mind this is from experience with the beta, which very likely is different from the shipped game.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

IMO paladin is what you are looking for. Priests are mainly casters so if you equip him in heavy armor his casting time will suck + casters should stay in the back becouse of interruptions. Chanter isn't warrior at all - mostly supporter/summoner. Cipher is warrior/mage - he uses mind spells, but he needs to power his abilities by fighting in melee - though he's not tankish at all. 

Besides even if you are not focusing on your companions from role-playing view - you must still command them, and if you dont like heavy casters, you should assemble such party that you will be happy with.

I don't think it's optimal for you, but a Bleak Walker Paladin is probably as close as you're going to get. Not much of a caster, and Paladins are (currently) lacking a bit in the ability department (nevermind the Attributes being a bit weird in the current build, in relation to character concepts, narratively speaking).

A melee Chanter could also work out. On the plus side, they're very versatile, but on the negative side, you might find them lacking in ability, and be too spell-focused. Mileage may vary.

But either of those two would likely work the best for you, I think.

t50aJUd.jpg

If they un-neuter (which is frankly doubtful, unfortunately) the Priest of Skaen Talent that gives you backstabbing (the name escapes me, at the moment) a Priest of Skaen might also be a very good choice for you, although depending on how you interpret your psychopathy, it might not be entirely fitting (Skaenites seemingly being what pretty much amounts to a SJW/Skinhead multiclass).

t50aJUd.jpg

For a Front-line Melee Priest I was thinking about focusing on Dexterity and Constitution as my primary attributes, followed closely by Resolve and Might.

IIRC, high Dex will allow me to have a decent combat speed regardless of armor choice and Con will improve my survivability further. A good Resolve score should improve my ability to resist breaks to concentration and Might will improve my damage and healing effectiveness. So long as these 4 attributes are my primary focuses (and in roughly this order too,) I should do fine in the front.

I like Priest the best because of all of the buffs he has in his arsenal. If a Priest is able to buff himself right before combat, I'm certain he can do nearly all the things a Paladin can and have more damage and support skills to boot.

Yeah, buffing isn't just prohibitively structured (short durations, niched effects, etc) but it's flat-out prohibited. As in, you literally cannot buff yourself in any way before a battle. Sawyer has hunted pre-buffing down with a blowtorch to the point where even auras are "Combat Only" and rogues can't jump out of stealth to initiate combat with their Reckless Assault modal.

t50aJUd.jpg

If a Priest is able to buff himself right before combat

Sorry, no such thing afaik

Yeah, buffing isn't just prohibitively structured (short durations, niched effects, etc) but it's flat-out prohibited. As in, you literally cannot buff yourself in any way before a battle. Sawyer has hunted pre-buffing down with a blowtorch to the point where even auras are "Combat Only" and rogues can't jump out of stealth to initiate combat with their Reckless Assault modal.

Okay, so lemme get this straight. . . You've got to either gain aggro or initiate combat yourself in order to use your abilities? Doesn't that sorta defeat the purpose of, say, an ambush?

So like, I'm assuming that a Wizard doesn't have to get someone pissed off at him before he can throw a fireball at his face, yet a Priest has to have a bully taking his lunch money before he can call upon divine intervention? What about skills that increase movespeed? Are those combat only too?

Edited by SkeeSilentT

There's no alignment in this game, so trying to fit the Lawful Awful mold is probably not a practical goal.

I'm aware; I was just letting ya'll know a lil' bit more about my preferred playstyle. At any rate, that wasn't what my original post was about. What class do you think suits me best? How I play the character is entirely up to me.

You want to be a goldpact paladin, they are literally an exact match for what you are describing.  Priests are casters, they are not worth anything on the front line and can't tank very well at all.  Unless you count needing to take a few hits before they have to heal spam as tanking.  Paladins are melee with "some" casting ability.  PS: Ciphers work best on the front line actually but you can not let them get aggro, they can't tank at all and are a straight DPS.

• Like 1

You want to be a goldpact paladin, they are literally an exact match for what you are describing.  Priests are casters, they are not worth anything on the front line and can't tank very well at all.  Unless you count needing to take a few hits before they have to heal spam as tanking.  Paladins are melee with "some" casting ability.  PS: Ciphers work best on the front line actually but you can not let them get aggro, they can't tank at all and are a straight DPS.

Thanks for the awesome reply!

I've been considering Priest of Berath and Goldpact Paladin in particular, and it's good to get some feedback on the classes I'm interested in.

I still plan on trying out Priest of Berath first, but Goldpact Knight Paladin will definitely be my 2nd choice if I find the Front-Line Priest to be disappointing.

What do you think about Chanters in the front line? Are they better or worse than a Priest in the same position?

What do you think about Chanters in the front line? Are they better or worse than a Priest in the same position?

Chanters are stronger on the front line.  The problem with priests is they have average accuracy.  Chanters are on par with other front liners like the fighter.

Chanters are stronger on the front line.  The problem with priests is they have average accuracy.  Chanters are on par with other front liners like the fighter.

But can't the Priest's measley accuracy score be enhanced with talents like "The Pallid Hand," "Inspiring Radiance," "Aggrandizing Radiance," and either Weapon Focus: Soldier/Noble/etc?

IIRC, the wiki says (the start of many wrong sentences) the Priest has a passive (Sacred Circle) that grants accuracy. So long as no allies are near him, he gets the passive accuracy bonus himself.

I also believe "Cautious Attack," increases their sub-par deflection as well.

Do you think these talents are not worth investment on a Priest?

Edited by SkeeSilentT

But can't the Priest's measley accuracy score be enhanced with talents like "The Pallid Hand," "Inspiring Radiance," "Aggrandizing Radiance," and either Weapon Focus: Soldier/Noble/etc?

IIRC, the wiki says (the start of many wrong sentences) the Priest has a passive (Sacred Circle) that grants accuracy. So long as no allies are near him, he gets the passive accuracy bonus himself.

Yes they can get those skills, Chanters can get skills to up their accuracy like Weapon Focus too.  It isn't a question of "are these talents worth pursuing" it is a question of "how far am I willing to go to make a class that is not well suited for what I want them to do be capable of doing what I want them to do".  A Priest will never be as good a tank/melee fighter as a Paladin or even a Chanter if you give them the same or similar skills as the Priest.  Why?  Because they have better base stats to support that role from ground zero.  Just like the Paladin will never be as good as a Priest as a straight caster if you give them the sames talents/skills because the Priest was better at it to begin with.

I understand you want to be a priest.  I am just letting you know a Goldpact Paladin is basically a 100% match with no need for tweaking on what you said you wanted to play.  An off tank melee fighter with casting abilites, buffs, and a look out for number one attitude.  You literally described a Goldpact Paladin in your OP.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 1

Yes they can get those skills, Chanters can get skills to up their accuracy like Weapon Focus too.  It isn't a question of "are these talents worth pursuing" it is a question of "how far am I willing to go to make a class that is not well suited for what I want them to do be capable of doing what I want them to do".  A Priest will never be as good a tank/melee fighter as a Paladin or even a Chanter if you give them the same or similar skills as the Priest.  Why?  Because they have better base stats to support that role from ground zero.  Just like the Paladin will never be as good as a Priest as a straight caster if you give them the sames talents/skills because the Priest was better at it to begin with.

I understand you want to be a priest.  I am just letting you know a Goldpact Paladin is basically a 100% match with no need for tweaking on what you said you wanted to play.  An off tank melee fighter with casting abilites, buffs, and a look out for number one attitude.  You literally described a Goldpact Paladin in your OP.

Understood.

The way you said it made me think that no matter how much I tried, making a front-line Priest would be a bad idea lol.

Just wanted to make sure their talents didn't get ripped to shreds via nerfs; I know the wikia has a lot of out-dated information.

But yeah, I agree that Paladin, Goldpact Knight in particular, would provide me with the gist of what I want and with much less sacrifice.

Thing is though, having Dual-Classed from Priest of Talos at lvl 15 to Fighter in Baldur's Gate II and ToB, I am very used to sacrifice.

As always, thank you for your feedback; I appreciate it!

Edited by SkeeSilentT

As always, thank you for your feedback; I appreciate it!

NP.  Just want to make sure you have all the info.  If there is one thing Eternity is really really good at, it is leaving room for you to make the character you want.  People just need to know that just because you "can" do it doesn't mean a Wizard can out melee dps a Rogue for example.

• Like 1