Who do you expect to bring along on your first play through?

wanderon

I usually play wizards in RPGs, but since I haven't really heard good things about wizards on the these forums, I'm thinking about going monk instead. 

Wizards could use some help, yeah. They're fragile and less forgiving to build than the other casters due to the spell selection mechanic and if anything the BBWizard is an optimistic example of what can be done with a mediocre spell selection due to coming with a sweet ring that gives them a really solid bump to their spells per day. I've been able to get good mileage out of PC wizard but only because I was really careful to hunt down every spare scrap of synergy that I could when selecting my spells. For example, a bunch of the damage spells aren't so hot on their own, but Eldritch Aim, Combusting Wounds and multi-hitters like Ray of Fire or the Missile line work together pretty well, but that sort of thing represents around a third of your spells per day. Otherwise you're a slicken dispenser, and sadly it's possible to build a wizard who can't even do that. 

I'm having big hesitation between making my PC a Cypher or a Chanter. I prefer Chanter but I love the Chanter companion, so that's a hard decision.

Do we know if there is a Cypher companion ?

Apart from that, my party will probably be :

Chanter, Cypher, Wizard, Priest, Fighter, Paladin/Druid/Barbarian

Yea, Kana Rua is making me doubt my decision to choose Chanter. Big Burly guy with lots of Lore to share about the world, gregarious, funny, and (I think) he's your intro to the stronghold.

I might switch to a wizard and ignore Aloth as I could probably do well to ignore the Emo Elf. I might also leave Mother for the second playthrough, as she seems like the Emo cipher. I'd rather leave depressing characters for my "I'm an evil dickface" playthrough. 

In any case I'm bringing along Eder for sure (it seems he is the Imoen of these games). The other companions are going to have to prove themselves interesting to me.

Yep, very hard decision, I'm even considering to abandon my wizard and keep 2 chanters just for him. But I'm not sure about it

A melee (probably shield-style) cipher for a Player Char, definitely. Seems pretty fresh to me and very interesting class, even though they seem a bit OP atm, with so many focus points to start a fight... IMO should be lowered by like 40% - or maybe that's the plan for release ver?

Also a pity that Grieving Mother is a cipher - anyone knows how difficult (or if possible at all) it will be to mod her into different class?

For companions - Eder (always nice to have a reliable tank and also plot-relation), Pallegina (most of the time probably, coz of her nice class 'n race; if she'll be a decent enough tank I may even leave Eder home sometimes), Sagani - depends on how good she (her class, actually...) is but from the vid I think I'll like her, Durance is usually in, Hiravias over Aloth most of the time (rarely both, but w/o Durance then), Kana Rua exchanging with Sagani most likely or one of the casters rarely, Grieving Mother as a last choice, only for her arc most likely.

I guess it's a good time to start thinking seriously about this. For me, it's most likely looking like I'll run a rogue. This isn't because I most want to play a rogue, but has more to do with the fact that I'm not aware of any rogue companions that can join, and the DnD purist in me wants to have a rogue in the party. I think I'll go with the "obvious" choices for the rest of the party, at least for my first runthrough. Those being:

*Edair - fighter/meatshield

*Pallegina - secondary meatshield with some helpful magical powers

*Cadegund... err, Durance - gotta have a priest. I always envisioned having Cadegund with me, so I'll miss her. But I guess you can't go wrong with a Priest created by MCA as a replacement.

*Kana - I love Chanters, and... she's one (or is it he?)

*Aloth - the traditionalist in me says a wizard has to be in the first run. 

Sagani would be the next in line, or possible replacement for one of the above.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Well, Aloth and Sagani have drawn the decidedly short straws of Wizard and Ranger respectively, so for all I prefer character-driven parties the odds are fairly stacked against them.
That said, it depends upon how irritating the competition is.

As it stands, I don't look at any of the companions and think "That guy is definitely in my party!". I look at Durance and Eder and tend to think "Yeah, those guys look fairly neutral, so I'll probably take them", which doesn't really say a lot for the appeal of the rest of them.

I still intend to go companion party rather than adventurer's hall, because I'm hopeful that the characters will bring life to the game.

Main is looking like being a rogue with zero stealth or subtlety and a big hammer to hit things with. Best rogue ever, etc.

Their animal companions are though.

one can only hope that this is one of those goldilocks scenarios, yes?  at first, the animal companions were too tough, particularly the bear.  'course then the animal companions became not only too weak, but they transmitted their weakness to the ranger.  perhaps with the release, the developers will make it so that rangers and animal companions is "just right." 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Based on my BB experience I will try my first pass with: 2x Fighter (both Amuaua Coastal), 2x Cipher (both Orlan Hearth), Priest (Godlike Moon), Rogue (Orlan Hearth). Oh, and a banner "We brake for nobody" xD

So you're not going to bring any of the real companions?

Frankly said.. No, I don't :) If I have to be honest, I dislike premade characters. Every time I start new RPG I find some of them, NPCs that were created by someone else. Their character conflicts with my own so much that in a short time I'm starting to hate them ;) So it was with PoE BB - after few minutes a single thought came to my mind "My, oh my.. How to kill them all?". Soo... My cipher did it. And then I ran to the inn and recruited 5 new adventurers. Yup, now it's perfect ;)

1 fighter dualwield - dps (advise pls which focus is better for dualwielding)

1 fighter twohanded - tank

1 rogue - interrupter with a warbow

1 chanter - with a gun

1 priest - with a pike 

1 wizard - with a scepter

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

I'm not taking any of the default party except for when I'm doing their side quests or if I have to. I don't particulary like party banter as a lot of games have the companions use reduntant phrases that break immersion for me. I will swap out for an adventurer as soon as I have a companion join my party. I'm a huge fan of party synergy.

My party in order of appearance:

1. Male Heath Wild Orlan Druid as the p.c.

2. Male Mountain Dwarf two handed Fighter

3. Male Mountain Dwarf two handed Paladin

4. Male Mountain Dwarf Sword and Board Priest(one of three brothers)

5. Male Coastal Amuauauaua Monk

6. Male Heath Wild Orlan Wizard

My experience playing the Beta on Path of the Damned with several different class combos favored this set-up. I use the Paladin to increase accuracy. I stack more accuracy with the Priest buffs and use the Priest as a fourth tank for my front line if they need an extra melee presence. My Fighter and Paladin are both specced offensively to crank out damage. The Monk will specced for crowd control and offense. In the Beta he frequently led the party in damage/kills. With three/four tanks I can effectively seal off a front line. Once the front line is engaged I use the druid for aoe crowd control and both the Druid/Wizard can rain down AOE damage hell on anyone not fortunate enough to be engaged with my front line. It has healing from two sources: the Priest and the Druid. I've got three full spell books and lots of diversity with Priest, Druid, and Wizard spells. I chewed up everything the Beta threw at me with this set-up on the highest difficulty.

The only concern I have is figuring out the custom portraits and finding three good looking male dwarf photos, one male Amuauauaa portrait, and two that can pass for Wild Orlan.

Edited by Two-Bull

I like the idea of a Priest of Skaen, but there is a few things I am disappointed about.

Warhammer Online when it came out made me giddy as heck because they nailed the 'Zealot' look so hard, on top of their aesthetics and what they wear (outside of the high-fantasy ridiculous looking stuff) http://tinyurl.com/lttzdx8

Ever since Demarch of Mask in IWD2 made me disappointed and lacked many things (Sneak Attack, for one), I always wanted a sort of zealous executioner/assassin. My only gripe with the Priests right now is that they all have the same spells available, instead of being limited to a set amount of spells. It's just an immersion gripe, nothing more; just having an extra 'unique trait' and that being the only thing that separates you from the other Priests makes me not feel any different from any other Priest I'd ever make.

Being happy that they get to have a mastery in Stiletto and Clubs made me even happier, and on top of this looking at the unique weapons of them both: Bleak Fang and Blesca's Labor; all made for a perfect character (if it wasn't for every Priest using all spells ever). A corroding/acid dagger with a life stealing club in the offhand, dual wielding and throwing out all kinds of fear spells and debuffs; while using that Baby Sneak Attack for executions.

But if it ends up being the same on release, where there is no noticeable difference between any of the Priests then I'll just go and play a Conan the Barbarian in a Companion setting. Pillars might be the first and only videogame RPG where you can play as a proper R.E. Howard's Conan, if you've read all the books.

So in the end my party would be (With Companions): 

• Conan the Barbarian - Rage as sole self-utility and then all party-based utilities. Will constantly and consistently change gear for any given situation.
  • Edér - Because every Fighter companion usually ends up being bro, also he looks Norse and his image is handsome as heck.
  • Aloth - Seriously handsome Elf with raven-black hair?! Yes please! and he looks really interesting just by his initial gear.
  • Grieving Mother - Chris Avellone?! there is no way I can say no to bringing her along, ever. Very interested in what her story is!
  • Sagani - She looks amazing! I can't say no to someone that looks like that! Why does she have a fox pet?! I need to know!
  • Pallegina - She looks really unique, and I am very interested to see what she is all about and why she is even with you (and a Unique Godlike along with a unique Paladin Order)

Else my full Conan-themed party would be:

• Conan the Barbarian - Same as above, same build, [int/Con/Might/Resolve] in that order of priority, then add into any stats that come into his way.
  • Valeria (Fighter) - Total Dual-Wielding party-based Fighter utilities, using Disciplined Barrage as the only self-utility with Knockdowns and defensive stuff that helps the party. [Con/Per/Dex/Resolve]
  • Bêlit (Rogue) - Very lightly armored, Dual-Wielding all-out damage. Will only ever use the +Accuracy weapons and/or a Sword. Will use Escape and Adept Evasion when stuff gets hairy. [Might=Dex/Intellect=Perception], basically regular Rogue Priorities.
  • Balthus (Ranger) - And his ferociously wild dog, Slasher. Slow shooter with lots of Pet skills. Regular Ranger stat priorities.
  • Zelata the Witch (Druid) - Even though Druids can't summon giant wolves which would be required for this character, this is the closest class to this "Sorta but not kinda Alchemist" woman. Also Wolfshift. I could replace her with someone else entirely but I need some magical prowess, so this is a good excuse! Regular Druid stat priorities. 
  • Hadrathus (Wizard) - And last but not least the very few of any magicians that Conan ever trusts. With regular Wizard stat priorities but with some Resolve. 

And that is pretty much how I would play the game.

The Monk will specced for crowd control and offense. In the Beta he frequently led the party in damage/kills. 

Why are Monks so good, I hate monks.. :(

I like the diversity they offer in this game. They have good crowd control options and a lot of damage.

Either that, or they'll cave in and we'll be allowed to sleep in Sagani's bed.

Did you recently faction change to promancer?

Anything for a cheap laugh.

The Monk will specced for crowd control and offense. In the Beta he frequently led the party in damage/kills. 

Why are Monks so good, I hate monks.. :(

I like the diversity they offer in this game. They have good crowd control options and a lot of damage.

I have disliked monks ever since they made their first appearance in IE games and have pretty much never played one and yet I have actually been toying with the idea of making a stealthy monk my PC for POE... I'll probably get over it tho... :grin:  

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

regarding conan, we suggest that d&d 3.5 or even pathfinder is a far better game system for achieving a plausible conan than poe.  with d20 multiclassing and far more robust skill and feats (talents) systems, we can get a d&d or pathfinder character that looks much more like our idealized conan than anything we can current do in poe.  we personal avoid d&d/pathfinder prestige classes, but such stuff does allow further customization to be achieving a conan-like character. 

'course, we expect the poe mechanics to have greater depth in subsequent iterations, so perhaps poe is able to eventual match the kinda flexibility o' pathfinder or d&d 3.5, but for the moment...

HA! Good Fun! 

ps the eponymous conan rpg from mongoose is also d20 and has/had a few decent conan builds... though we believe they lost their license to conan at some point. regardless, at its heart, mongoose were using a d20 rules system. 

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Going to take the anti-powergaming route. I'm going to play it by ear and choose party npc's as to what makes sense for my character's story arc and his objectives.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Main PC - Barb with the biggest 2h weapon i can find. Gonna give him some stealth and Mechanics.

Fighter - Sword&Board

Paladin - maybe

Chanter - Buffer

Cipher - DeBuff specd

Druid - Lightning

Just as an aside for those still considering who want a spoiler free tip...  The only classes with no NPC companion are Monk, Rogue, and Barbarian.  So if you feel you need one (or more) of those classes you will need to make at least the MC one of them and possibly add soulless husks to go along.

Just as well I was thinking of player a rogue, as rogues of one sort or another (including Bards) have been my favourite class to play in IE games. 

"My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!"