Who do you expect to bring along on your first play through?

wanderon

Release is only 30 days away has anyone figured out what class they will start with and which companions they expect to have in their first party?

(extra credit for verbosity)  :grin:

• Like 1

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

I usually play wizards in RPGs, but since I haven't really heard good things about wizards on the these forums, I'm thinking about going monk instead. There are no monk companions (I think), so if I go monk and use the pre-made companions, I should get a pretty good idea of most of the classes on my first playthrough.

Really looking forward to the stronghold part. I want to be like a boss character in a J-RPG. You know, sit on a throne in the deepest part of the stronghold, and then when intruders come, say something like "Hahaha, you've done well to get this far." Then change into my ultimate form...

Druid PC. After playing IWD I and II I am eager to play a druid that's genuinely powerful with good spell variety. A shame about the state of shapeshifts, but other than that they're a good hybrid caster/healer which is something I enjoy but that is rarely done well.

The rest will depend on what's available as companions and how much I like their personalities.

I think Monk and one other class aren't available, and I might go hired adventurer route for Monk if I don't want to use a full party of pre-made companions.

I am still trying to decide between a melee ranger (weak) or a chanter for my first character. I really, really, like the image of the ranger, but they're just so weak that I don't know if I want my hero to be the weakest member in the party. And this class pick will partially define who I take with me the first go around.

My go-to character for all RPGs is an Aragorn-esque character. Someone with a bastard sword, a round shield, chainmail and leather, and a bow. Bonus points for any game that also includes a torch that is actually effective, not just in combat but in environment. I don't think this game gets them in environment, but hey--the combat torch is awesome. I've used it plenty of times, even if it's weak. I secretly wish for a unique torch. Anyways, the whole point of my Aragorn-esque character is that I like the "leader" jack of all trades, the character who goes where he is needed depending on the situation at hand, but defaults to swinging a sword. I don't mind magic in the sense of enhancement, but I hate characters focused around magic.

As far as NPCs to take along...

I am decided on taking Eder--they've talked about him enough and indicated that he's important to the story so... fine. I'll take him, still wish he had been a "heavy rogue" instead of a fighter, but oh well on that. That decision rules out Paladin and Fighter for my hero's class.

Aloth is coming with me as well. Since I don't do magic, I need someone who does. Hopefully he's enjoyable, since he'll probably get the most frequent reuse out of any of the characters.

If I go with Ranger, then Sagani is out. If I go with Chanter, then Kana Rua is out. They're interchangable for my first run.

Durance is coming with me. I've grown to really like my rifle and sword wielding priest of Magran, very effective character.

Pallegina is coming with me as well, as I am really interested to see what her abilities are considering that not only is her god-like not available to the hero character, but neither is her paladin order.

______

So, my party will be Eder with a greatsword (and most defensive talents) and Pallegina with a pike (and offensive talents) serving as my meat shields. The hero with a sword and board, backing them up but mostly relying on primary class function (invocations or increased accuracy + pet flanking) to contribute to the party. Aloth in the back, flanked by Durance and Sagani/Kana Rua, all of them using ranged weapons. Durance with a rifle, Aloth with an implement, and then Sagani or Kana Rua with bows.

I've ran through the beta with such a group, and it is perfect for my playstyle.

As of right now, Fighter, Paladin, Priest, Chanter, Cipher, Wizard. Planning on using the standard companions at first.

Anyway, to fill in more detail (won't let me edit?) here's my thought process:

--  I feel like the optimal party structure is two frontliners, two medium support/off-tank characters wih ranged and long-reach weapons, and two heavy hitter damage dealer artillery types.

-- Fighter seems ideal for a build-tough-and-forget passive build, and same with a nice passive paladin. Chanter similarly you can build defensively and just let them chant and attack. Should cut down on micromanagement.

-- I don't want a rogue because they seem to need more micromanagement than I really want to invest in a melee character that isn't my main.

-- I want to play a blunderbuss cipher as my main because it should be a fun build that lets me do CC and have decently high Int for conversation options. (ideally I'd like to go int/per/might, but I don't think Per is good enough on ranged characters right now, we'll see if that gets changed).

-- I want to use the prewritten companions though so that makes things a little easier. Fighter and Paladin fall right into place. Priest and Chanter are both great 2nd-rank support characters from what I can tell in the beta, and given that Durance is a priest of Magran I should be able to give him and arquebus. I'm a little worried that the writers will make him and Pallegina come into religious conflict in a sort of spock/mccoy kinda way but i'm sure that'll be something I can play around/with. 

--  All that leaves the PC cipher and Aloth as the characters who'll need actual management, but that's doable. 

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

If you don't want details on companion names and what their classes are don't read my response.

Well NPC wise the pretty much locked candidates are going to be Eder, Aloth, and Pallegina.  Mostly because I want a traditional caster, and I am most interested in Eder and Pallegina as characters.  They will be joined by some combination of Grieving Mother, Sagani, and Durance.  If I go Cipher (which I probably will) GM will likely get the boot.  Kana Rua and Hiravias are unfortunately getting the short end of the stick cause they represent two of my least favorite D&D class archetypes.... Chanter (Bard) and Druid.  I do wish we had a Rogue companion though, I am sort of surprised something so "traditional" didn't make the cut.

If I could have a "dream team" at this point I can say it would be Fighter, Paladin, Cipher, Rogue, Priest, and Wizard.  The Rogue would probably be mostly ranged though, using firearms of course :p.

Edited by Karkarov

Another one? (thread) Might as well :D

Hearth Orlan Barbarian, because... those dudes are awesome! Then I'm definitely going to pick up/find Kana Rua (Aumaua Chanter) and Hiravias (Orlan Druid). Then probably... Durance (Human Priest), Edér (Human Fighter) and Pallegina (Godlike Paladin).

I'll have.... (formation/in order front->back)

1 Main Tank Fighter
1 Sub-Tank Paladin
1 Melee DPS/Two-Handed Barbarian
1 Jack-of-All Druid in the middle somewhere (I'm hoping there are two-handed staves that work like wands but with a bit more "oomphf!" in their AA* damage)
2 Ranged (Chanter and Priest)

It's possible to recruit all companions too right? So I'll probably switch around the composition during play, but that's what I'm going to work my main party to be, added with unforeseen consequences.

* Auto-Attack

Ill probably roll a paladin even though there's already one in the game. Then take another tank. After that Ill fill it out with DPS. Maybe a priest? Meh, Ill just take the first five NPC's I come across and I don't usually drop anyone unless a new NPC is clearly better. Or someone goes all Yoshimo on me.

I expect to bring iron spikes, a small hammer, a ten foot pole, and 50' of rope.

Oh wait who...

Um...

Main (Merewen "Merry") Chanter

Other Main (Soulless Mercenary Eothric "Rick") Priest

Companion Fighter

Companion Cipher (or maybe the Druid)

Companion Paladin

Companion Wizard

with caveat I am not in the BB and know very little about each class beyond what any IE vet would assume.

• Like 1

I'm either going Pale Elf barbarian (INT/DEX/PER) or Wild Orlan melee wizard (MIG/CON/INT) focusing on protective spells and touch magic, as my main.

Then I'll roll with:

Companion fighter spec'd for all out defence

Companion chanter with a gun in the back row for buffs and summons

Companion druid for heals

Companion ranger for direct damage

Companion cipher for crowd control

*Subject to change if any of the above party members turn out to require impaling with extreme prejudice

Edited by CottonWolf

I'm still deciding - I'd say 99% chance of taking Eder & Pallegina as well as either Durance or Grieving Mother (possibly both).

I'm probably never going to play a mage PC so that means Aloth will probably be there altho I'm thinking it may be entirely possible to play through without a wizard so he may be in and out over the course of the game depending on how well I like the character.

For PC I am currently trying out some different classes in the BB to see if I can get enough rogue skills along with dialoge options (lore) without playing a rogue and for the first time ever I am considering a monk for PC but that's pretty tenuous. I may in fact be leaning towards just playing a two weapon melee/ gunslinging rogue to solve the whole no rogue companion deal. 

If the ranger gets better with the final BB build that would be a possibility as well for PC or for taking Sagani and I haven't ruled out either Hiravias or Kana Rua either.

(Did I mention I am still deciding?  8) )

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

I'm going to be a Wizzy. I will most definitely be taking all companions (no "soulless" adventurers), but I'm not really sure which ones, to be honest. I tend to try to use all of them for at least a bit. Unless I just hate how they operate, or their character personality, etc. I'll probably take everyone along for a bit when they first join, then go back and put people back into the party every so often.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I'm having big hesitation between making my PC a Cypher or a Chanter. I prefer Chanter but I love the Chanter companion, so that's a hard decision.

Do we know if there is a Cypher companion ?

Apart from that, my party will probably be :

Chanter, Cypher, Wizard, Priest, Fighter, Paladin/Druid/Barbarian

I think my main will be monk on first playthrough, as for party composition - no small guys (orlans and dwarfs are out) and no religion zealots so I will end up with half adventurer party probably

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I'm having big hesitation between making my PC a Cypher or a Chanter. I prefer Chanter but I love the Chanter companion, so that's a hard decision.

There is cipher companion.

Mine: priest (me), fighter, chanter, druid, wizard, paladin. 

Just as an aside for those still considering who want a spoiler free tip...  The only classes with no NPC companion are Monk, Rogue, and Barbarian.  So if you feel you need one (or more) of those classes you will need to make at least the MC one of them and possibly add soulless husks to go along.

Edited by Karkarov

I have been wondering a lot about who to bring for the last couple of months (I am really exited to play this game). 

I will certainly bring Durance and Grieving Mother, even though I don't really care for priests, but they seem like very interesting characters and also seem to have a connection, which will be interesting to explore.

I will bring Eder as he seems to be very involved with the plot, and is the only real tank, and I like to have a tank in the party.

Then the last two places, will probably go to Kana Rua and Hiravias. But could also be Aloth or Pallegina (I am still not completely settled with that name), if their characters seem more interesting. I'll probably end up switching a bit between those 4 along the way. Sagani will have to be a seriously charismatic dwarf gal, to come along.

Another problem is that I think my main will be either a cipher, a druid or a chanter, which will probably lead to some overlap. :getlost: 

This thread really needs a poll btw.

Yea, Kana Rua is making me doubt my decision to choose Chanter. Big Burly guy with lots of Lore to share about the world, gregarious, funny, and (I think) he's your intro to the stronghold.

I might switch to a wizard and ignore Aloth as I could probably do well to ignore the Emo Elf. I might also leave Mother for the second playthrough, as she seems like the Emo cipher. I'd rather leave depressing characters for my "I'm an evil dickface" playthrough. 

In any case I'm bringing along Eder for sure (it seems he is the Imoen of these games). The other companions are going to have to prove themselves interesting to me.

Based on my BB experience I will try my first pass with: 2x Fighter (both Amuaua Coastal), 2x Cipher (both Orlan Hearth), Priest (Godlike Moon), Rogue (Orlan Hearth). Oh, and a banner "We brake for nobody" xD

So you're not going to bring any of the real companions?