Personally I was very happy to read that:

"No, we want to do a traditional expansion, and we're in the early stages of planning for that right now. Part of the Kickstarter campaign was a full expansion, so we're definitely doing a Tales of the Sword Coast style campaign," they told us in our interview.

"We're still in the early stages of design for that right now, though. What I would say about additional content other than that, is that I would like to see any gameplay tweaks and changes we make in an expansion get rolled into a free patch. So if you don't want to buy an expansion, you get all the same gameplay benefits without the extra story."

http://www.gamewatcher.com/news/2015-24-02-obsidian-pillars-of-eternity-will-grow-with-traditional-expansion-wants-improvements-rolled-into-a-free-patch

Edited by Gairnulf
  • Like 10

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

So additional content added rather than another campaign?

I can live with that. ToB wasn't as good as SoA TBH.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

ToB had me forcing myself to finish it. I found the story rather dull - seek out and destroy. I think it's nice they will be releasing the fixes and improvements as a free patch for people who don't buy the expansion. But this also confirms my expectations there will be much to fix and patch in the initial release...

Edited by Gairnulf

eFoHp9V.png

Durlag's Tower, really one of the finest dungeons ever created in my humble opinion. Superior even to Demigorgon's prison if I may be so bold.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 12

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I'll wait until more concrete info about the expansion is available before my final judgement, but should the expansion really be entirely like TotSC I'd be disappointed.

By the point the expansion is out I'll have Eternity finished twice over easily, without some continuation for my character there is no hook for me to jump in again and even shell out money for what amounts to extra sidequests.

I don't mind if the expansion retroactively adds new stuff to the original game but I also want something that chronologically plays after I defeated the big bad of the main quest line.

• Like 4

In my opinion, TotSC type expansions are quite a bit worse than ToB/MotB type expansions if only because the former type feel more as an optional area to explore, not something directly related to the story. However, if the team has a direction that they want to take the sequel (which is hopefully tied directly to the first game with the same characters), and adding additional main story sequences will somehow disrupt the transition between games, I think a TotSC type expansion would be the most beneficial.

• Like 1

I was hoping for new lands, class, side quests not a aftermath campaign. So I'm happy and I'm prety sure that I'm gona like stronghold feature I would like to see more of It eventhough I know very few abaout It :p

**Also since gta5 pc relese delayed again. I think I will fully focus to the game now

Edited by ruzen

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

The quote quoted in the OP pleases me.

Durlag's Tower, really one of the finest dungeons ever created in my humble opinion. Superior even to Demigorgon's prison if I may be so bold.

+1

• Like 4
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Proper expansion packs should stand on their own story-wise, not merely add to the original campaign. If the e.p. is truly high in quality and content, I'm sure I'll be happy to overlook its failure to be its own story, though. That's one benefit of pursuing multiple runs through the campaign as a rule--new NPCs, quests, and swag keep the campaign fresh.

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

Personally I was very happy to read that:

"No, we want to do a traditional expansion, and we're in the early stages of planning for that right now. Part of the Kickstarter campaign was a full expansion, so we're definitely doing a Tales of the Sword Coast style campaign," they told us in our interview.

"We're still in the early stages of design for that right now, though. What I would say about additional content other than that, is that I would like to see any gameplay tweaks and changes we make in an expansion get rolled into a free patch. So if you don't want to buy an expansion, you get all the same gameplay benefits without the extra story."

http://www.gamewatcher.com/news/2015-24-02-obsidian-pillars-of-eternity-will-grow-with-traditional-expansion-wants-improvements-rolled-into-a-free-patch

I do find it strange that the quotes aren't attributed to a specific developer. I don't doubt the veracity of the statements...but still, that's pretty shoddy journalism.

I figure it'd have been Sawyer though.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I do find it strange that the quotes aren't attributed to a specific developer. I don't doubt the veracity of the statements...but still, that's pretty shoddy journalism.

I figure it'd have been Sawyer though.

Reading it makes me think it was ripped out of a different interview article from a different website to begin with.  Which wouldn't really surprise me.

Edited by Karkarov

ToB had me forcing myself to finish it. I found the story rather dull - seek out and destroy. I think it's nice they will be releasing the fixes and improvements as a free patch for people who don't buy the expansion. But this also confirms my expectations there will be much to fix and patch in the initial release...

The worse part of ToB was that the new items and abilitys ruined the orignial balance of BG2. Also the story line was very closed without any exploring elements.I won't play it second time.

Of course ToSC had its weakness. The story line was too short and no new companion.But that's easy to be improved.The style of ToSC is much better than a single closed new campaign.

Edited by bronzepoem

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

To me, this is exactly how expansions should be: expanding upon the mechanics, content, storyline(s) and characters of the main game. This is excellent, excellent news to me. Entirely new areas of the world, a new main story, etc, are things that almost defines a sequel.

In many ways, Throne of Bhaal wasn't an expansion, it was a sequel, and as far as I know, it was originally intended to be one. I lever liked the "glue something on at the end" format, so I can only go awww yiiis.

• Like 4

t50aJUd.jpg

It's remarkable how we discuss ToSC like it came out last week, but don't forget that's not the case. I'm sure Obsidian has learned lessons from observing ToSC and from their work on PoE, and similar to how PoE aims to have an improved over IE experience, so will its expansion try to avoid the bad sides of ToSC. I'm an optimist about the expansion and I think it will constitute the "gold" version of PoE of course together with the original.

eFoHp9V.png

[...]

Of course ToSC had its weakness. The story line was too short and no new companion.But that's easy to be improved.The style of ToSC is much better than a single closed new campaign.

TotSC didn't need new companions, though; BG1 had a plethora of companions, and while it would've been interesting and nice for TotSC to add new CNPC:s, BG1 didn't really need it. By comparison, PoE could really do with at least a tripling of the available CNPC:s and there'd still be ample room for improvement.

I second that the major TotSC questline was too short, and I hope that any PoE expansion opts to make a few major questlines (not just one really major questline that sticks off the main game like a weird thumb) scattered throughout the game.

And add, like, 32 CNPC:s.

• Like 2

t50aJUd.jpg

ToB is easily the worst part of the Baldur's Gate Saga. Even worse; it's existence killed any chance of a proper BG3. So happy to see that this expansion will not be like that. I'd sooner see PoE have no expansion at all than one like ToB.

• Like 4

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.