Angry Joe LOVED Pillars Of Eternity

Angry Joe has an absurdly huge following and can have a big influence on sales of smaller and/or indie titles. I doubt it's a coincidence Pillars is now number 5 in Steam sales when it wasn't even on the list yesterday. For that reason alone I like him for making that review more than for a game that already had tons of buzz around it (Bloodborne). 

Now Pillars needs a Pew Dee Pie endorsement.

I'm actually getting curious about DA2. Never played it, as I didn't particularly care for DA:O and heard it was even worse...

You might like DA2 if you didn't like DA:O.  They created DA2 by turning DA:O's world from a tactical team based CRPG into a third person Action RPG.  General consensus is if you like DA:O, you probably hated DA2 and vice versa.

Angry Joe has an absurdly huge following and can have a big influence on sales of smaller and/or indie titles. I doubt it's a coincidence Pillars is now number 5 in Steam sales when it wasn't even on the list yesterday. For that reason alone I like him for making that review more than for a game that already had tons of buzz around it (Bloodborne). 

But, the video posted in the OP is from February. And PoE has been number 1 on Steam sales since it was released. I'm not sure how you figure Angry Joe is responsible for PoE becoming number 5 in the last day.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

But, the video posted in the OP is from February. And PoE has been number 1 on Steam sales since it was released. I'm not sure how you figure Angry Joe is responsible for PoE becoming number 5 in the last day.

I think people are talking about the actual review video that just came out and not the teaser interview stuff in the OP. This is a pretty old thread in forum standards.

He posted a review today.

http://tools.garry.tv/steamchart/?show=291650&range=7

Here is a graph of Steams' top selling spots by time ,as you can see the sales took a jump after his review ,I am waiting for Total-Biscuit to publish his opinion on the game ,it might bump the sales as well.

troll.gifseatroll.gificetroll.giftroll.gif

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

My main objective is to use my results to take over the world!

I'm actually getting curious about DA2. Never played it, as I didn't particularly care for DA:O and heard it was even worse...

You might like DA2 if you didn't like DA:O.  They created DA2 by turning DA:O's world from a tactical team based CRPG into a third person Action RPG.  General consensus is if you like DA:O, you probably hated DA2 and vice versa.

I liked them both, for different reasons. True, I don't play either of them much anymore, but for what they were, they weren't bad.

DA2 had numerous issues, such as reused areas, every fight involving multiple waves of opponents appearing all over the place, a sometimes nonsensical plot development(why did we fight the grand enchanter again? he was on our side!), and a rather disappointing lack of big epic fights that required strategy and planning(and unfortunately a lack of a tactical view to manage the fight from a bird's eye), but it did somethings right. Sarcastic Hawke is comedic gold, and the companions' personalities are well-developed and interesting(even Merrill!)

The story really fell apart in the end as things came to a head in the final leg of the game, but I think Varric had it right; 'wierd **** happened'. There never really was a good explanation as to why there was so much blood magic going on in Kirkwall, only some vague lore book nonsense about how the streets were laid out like runes and that the old Tevinters may have made the city into a magic spell.

I often felt like I was systematically depopulating Kirkwall every time I went through the game. I killed hundreds of mooks. Thousands, even. At least there will be job openings after this!

In the end, DA2 probably doesn't have much replay value. Simply because it doesn't have much beyond combat and dialog. The crafting system is bare-bones, the quests are 'go here, pick this up, go there, talk to that guy', no hunting for secrets like in DA:O, no tough decisions(oh sure they tried with the whole blood magic thing, but it didn't have the same impact as, say, killing Connor or defiling the ashes of andraste.

Edited by Amberion

...a sometimes nonsensical plot development(why did we fight the grand enchanter again? he was on our side!)

Because EA thought it needed another boss fight, as I understand it.  And yes, that was rage-inducing.

Edited by sparklecat

It's clear that youtubers  have more of an impact on games sales than the traditional gaming news websites. They are replacing gaming news sites as trusted sources of opinions.  How many times have IGN, Gamespot, or PC gamer gave a glowing reviews not entirely shared by the majority of their audience.  Dragon age 2 immediately comes too mind. Love him or hate him, AngryJoe seems to give his honest opinion and is not afraid to criticize developers/publishers.  I could do without the whole Angry army nonsense, but otherwise I do check out AngryJoe and Totalbiscuit opinions on some games before I buy them.

http://tools.garry.tv/steamchart/?show=291650&range=7

Here is a graph of Steams' top selling spots by time ,as you can see the sales took a jump after his review ,I am waiting for Total-Biscuit to publish his opinion on the game ,it might bump the sales as well.

Well, in that case, go go Joe!

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

LOL! Watching that youtube of Angry Joe dates me...getting old.  He  appeared to not know who Josh Sawyer is and didn't have a point of reference on Isometric CRPG's.....no fault of his...they originally came out so long ago and Josh was working on them back then as well......time really flys.

I don't like how he uses 1 through 10 rating measure. I prefer a 1 through 5 rating. 

I'd give PoE a 4/5. Good, but not great. The expansion might change that though.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

I don't like how he uses 1 through 10 rating measure. I prefer a 1 through 5 rating. 

I'd give PoE a 4/5. Good, but not great. The expansion might change that though.

...but 4/5 and 8/10 are the exact same thing.

Shhh ,don't tell him about that....

I also hate decimal scores I prefer the Babylonian way of counting using the base of 60 ,that way you can get better precision.

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

Repost.

Words. So many words to be read. But read them he did.

Yup. He's literate...

Fair review.

Already at 300,000+ views after 17 hours.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

...but 4/5 and 8/10 are the exact same thing.

So? I was making a general statement about the 1 through 10 system. I didn't say that 8/10 is different than 4/5. 

Edited by Namutree

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

It seems like after the jump in steams' top selling list ,the number of concurrent players in steam is rising again as well:

https://steamdb.info/app/291650/graphs/

Steamspys' method of gathering info from random samples might have a lag in detecting the number of copies that have been sold. So we will need to wait for a few days to see how many sales this review actually generated for the game. For the last days before the review ,the number of copies sold was stuck at around 300K and reached a plateau:

http://steamspy.com/app/291650

This is really interesting from a pure intellectual point of view. How much does a certain youtube reviewer really adds to a games' success?

Edited by barakav

It seems like after the jump in steams' top selling list ,the number of concurrent players in steam is rising again as well:

https://steamdb.info/app/291650/graphs/

Steamspys' method of gathering info from random samples might have a lag in detecting the number of copies that have been sold. So we will need to wait for a few days to see how many sales this review actually generated for the game. For the last days before the review ,the number of copies sold was stuck at around 300K and reached a plateau:

http://steamspy.com/app/291650

This is really interesting from a pure intellectual point of view. How much does a certain youtube reviewer really adds to a games' success?

Well, it depends. And we shouldn't forget that there are other factors as well. It's not a simple causal effect.

For example, the release of GTA V could harm the sales of Pillars on a huge level since a whole lot of gamers who were maybe interested in Pillars (but not part of the core audience that already owns the game) could now be occupied with playing GTA V for quite some time. Others could still play other games that were released recently (e.g. like Cities Skylines) and therefore plan to buy the game later. 

So what's the effect of a single famous youtuber? You can't say. It's definitely not bad - if s/he like the game of course.

35167v4.jpg

Well, it depends. And we shouldn't forget that there are other factors as well. It's not a simple causal effect.

For example, the release of GTA V could harm the sales of Pillars on a huge level since a whole lot of gamers who were maybe interested in Pillars (but not part of the core audience that already owns the game) could now be occupied with playing GTA V for quite some time. Others could still play other games that were released recently (e.g. like Cities Skylines) and therefore plan to buy the game later. 

So what's the effect of a single famous youtuber? You can't say. It's definitely not bad - if s/he like the game of course.

IMO you are not fully correct about GTA there are few factors playing here as well.

There are probably millions of buyers who are entering and will enter steam for a a few weeks around the release and they might buy more games ,especially from the top selling list. I would have bet that every game as big as that will bump other games sales as well even if buyers will only keep the games to play later on.

Many individuals just buy stuff to satisfy an immediate urge ,a while ago I saw a statistic that showed that most buyers on steam don't finish the games they bought and sometimes wait for a long while before they start playing the games at all. It might be more relevant for sales ,but in this case I wouldn't be surprised if some of GTA buyers will buy POE as well.

Otherwise it's a free publicity ,even if it only influence future sales...

mmm listen ,i don't take him  too seriously.

on one point in his videos he also says that he getting paid from publishers.

he often says the truth in his reviews but not always.

sooo. :shrugz:

He is only paid for some of his "lets play" videos ,and by youtube policy he has to put a notice on the videos' description. His reviews are always true to his opinion ,but he really just loves RPGs  so you will never see him give a bad score to one.

Edited by barakav

Good review.

And DA2 is at least still better than Inquisition.

Inquisition couldn't possibly be that bad.

Sadly, it is. It really IS that bad.

DAI is a weird cluster**** of bad design choices.

Edited by LordCrash
  • Like 2
35167v4.jpg

Good review.

And DA2 is at least still better than Inquisition.

Inquisition couldn't possibly be that bad.

In my opinion Inquisition is best game in DA series, and all the DA games are good games even though I don't think that any of them is that great as RPG, but they have other elements that I enjoyed.