Angry Joe LOVED Pillars Of Eternity

Loving his show. Hillarious. While personally i do not agree with the score, i would have appreciate it at least an 8.5. His review was fair and i find it more sensible than Kevin. He is really right on the pathing issues and lack of NPC AI. It's not a big issue for me as i love micro-managing each and every one of my NPC. I think Joe doesn't know that's there a Slow mode.

Edited by Archaven

The kamehameha joke in the beginning failed as the effect was yellow. This ain't no DBZ Budokai 1. Kamehameha should be blue.

Edited by Namutree
  • Like 2

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Good Review. Yeah, AJ is....not funny. He always begins his reviews with a skit. But he's not a comedian so it comes across as fake and contrived. So the solution, whenever you see an Angry Joe review, is to simply skip to the game review itself.

Because he's an excellent reviewer. And in this one, I applaud him specifically for his accurate criticism of PoE's story (which no other big time reviewer that I've seen seemed to have the guts to do) In fact, he nails everything pretty much precisely as it is. And his final score of the game (8/10) is spot on. It's what I give it.

I do find the frequent Divinity Original Sin call outs odd, though. An attempt at history revision, there, Joe? You didn't give that game the time of day last year when it was released, but now that Pillars of Eternity is out and you have the Grognards' attention, you're trying to "prove" your old schooler image. But that's cool. You did a great job with this review.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 4

Loving his show. Hillarious. While personally i do not agree with the score, i would have appreciate it at least an 8.5. His review was fair and i find it more sensible than Kevin. He is really right on the pathing issues and lack of NPC AI. It's not a big issue for me as i love micro-managing each and every one of my NPC. I think Joe doesn't know that's there a Slow mode.

Did you even watch the review? He was playing combat in slow mode right there. :blink:

AI and pathfinding are by no means the only faults this game has, just the most noticeable. I`d rate Pillars in its current state at ~7.8 or so, good effort with some very well done parts but also having a fair share of faceplanting moments. Vast majority of released games are barely worth a 6, so that´s not a bad thing in my books. Obviously company sales departments would always love to get 9 or 10.

Great review as always from him. Gotto admit I am pretty much a fan of him anyway but he is right with everything. Even so I will say that  I liked the story a lot and it drew me in very well. Other than that so he is spot on from my point of view.

I do find the frequent Divinity Original Sin call outs odd, though. An attempt at history revision, there, Joe? You didn't give that game the time of day last year when it was released, but now that Pillars of Eternity is out and you have the Grognards' attention, you're trying to "prove" your old schooler image. But that's cool. You did a great job with this review.

Not really he did put Divinity Original Sin at place 3 on his Top 10 List for best games of 2014.

"Jet, do you know that there are three things I particularly hate......Kids, animals, and women with attitude. SO CAN YOU TELL ME WHY WE HAVE ALL THREE NEATLY GATHERED ON OUR SHIP!"

Because he's an excellent reviewer. And in this one, I applaud him specifically for his accurate criticism of PoE's story (which no other big time reviewer that I've seen seemed to have the guts to do) In fact, he nails everything pretty much precisely as it is. And his final score of the game (8/10) is spot on. It's what I give it.

Different strokes... I knew Joe wouldn't like the story a huge amount because he definitely likes his EPIC stories, but there are people who appreciate the story a lot.  But I still agree with most of the review.

My only problem is he gave Dragon Age 2 the same score.. And I hated that game, lol.

Actually, he gave DA2 a 7/10, and he admitted that he didn't have the heart to rate it lower because... it was Dragon Age.

Still, good point. If he was a *truly* excellent reviewer, he would have given DA2 a 0/10, because that's what it's really worth on a 10 scale.

come on.. maybe a 1 for DA2 :p... But yeah I just checked and it was 7, so Im slightly happier now.  I thought it was the same score, when his PoE was overall a much more positive review than his DA2 one.  Which wouldnt have been right.

Edit:  Also, ive noticed that PoE has jumped back up in to the top 10 on steam today.  Wonder if its anything to do with his review.

Edited by Excalibur_2102

I'm actually getting curious about DA2. Never played it, as I didn't particularly care for DA:O and heard it was even worse...

Curiosity killed the cat. Step back from DA2. For the love of all that's holy.

• Like 5

sonsofgygax.JPG

DA 2 is the dumbed down version of DA:O that tries to appeal to ADHD kids with lot of sparkly and flashy combat moves, lots of monsters that appear out of nowhere (sometimes they literally appear out of nowhere in mid-air) and no actual strategy.

No plot, no conclusion, and no matter what you choose, you still have to face the same fights in the end game because every plot related NPC has **** for brain.

Edited by DocDoomII

I know people who liked DA2 more than Origins and DA:I more than the two first. You'll have to see for yourself.

I loved Origins, found 2 to be of potential and it might have been a great game given 1 more year in development; being mediocre as it released and couldn't play DA:I yet because I need to upgrade my machine :(

AJ did a good review on PoE.  8/10 and positive attitude is fair assessment of Pillars. 

Nailed it on the story part. 

I'm actually getting curious about DA2. Never played it, as I didn't particularly care for DA:O and heard it was even worse...

Don't bother. Really, don't.

Terrible characters, drab surroundings, recycled environments, mediocre story, annoying main char, mainstream combat. I'm still shocked how DA series devolved over time. 

ill just wait for pewdiepie review lol

Between this and AngryJoe, you'd think people prefer having reviews screamed at them in an overly-enthusiastic tryhard tone or something.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Really, It's better to be forever curious about it, then to play it and end up replacing that curiosity with bottomless disgust.

Dragon Age 2 is so unusually terrible that it almost made me quit gaming forever. At the time, people were reminding us of the reality that this is the new 'era' of RPGs....and that DA2 is, for the most part, typical of...how things just are. Well? That, plus my experience of the game, left me in a state of Jaded. If this is what the RPG genre is, then...cya later, RPG genre. I'll take up another hobby. Thankfully, Witcher 2 came out a couple months later and restored some of my lost hope. And while it wasn't that great either, it was still about about 300000000000000000 times better than DA2.

So exactly how bad IS DA2? That's a hard question to answer. How do you describe the sound of finger nails running down a chalkboard to someone who was born deaf? OK, I'll try anyway. Imagine if PoE was only Guilded Vale and one small wilderness map, but that it was still 80 hours long. Now take away all of PoE's class choices except for Fighter, Rogue and Wizard. Take away all its Races, except Human. Now, start imposing customization limits. As many as you can. Big stuff, like Rogues can only use Daggers or Bows. Fighters can only use 2-h weapons or sword & shield. Wizards can only use staves. Then make a mockery of the Party based system (can't choose armor for your companions. Can't talk to them unless they're in their home or your home. etc)

Then speed up the combat. I mean, really speed it up so that it plays like a Roadrunner cartoon. Make a mockery of the entire concept of Encounters by making everything wave based. Literally Everything. And make the second or 3rd wave fall from the sky. Literally......parachute down from the sky. Make ALL boss fights exactly the same. Replace PoE's artstyle with low texture cartoon-art.

Then top it all off with a form of Bioware writing that even the Bioware fans didn't particularly enjoy. Add romances, and lack of attention to detail.... from the tutorial to the credits

And then subtract about 1000 from this description because I've failed to describe the situation as badly as it truly is.

Now pay $60, and try to enjoy it. I challenge you.

Edit: This Guy's describes it a little better than I do.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 9

Like PoE, Angry Joe isn't for everyone, but when you get past his over-the-top theatrics (which I actually do find entertaining) --he has a lot of substance in his reviews and they are very much worth viewing.

Probably why he can regularly get millions of hits for his videos.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I quite liked it.  You have to take it for what it is - a low fantasy action/RPG hybrid that, yes, is overly flashy and certainly has its flaws - but it's better than the criticism makes out.  Its chief flaw, I believe, was being the sequel to DA:O and to some degree switching up genres mid-series, which enraged a lot of people.

Edited by sparklecat