Angry Joe LOVED Pillars Of Eternity

So the thread started with discussion about Angry Joe's significance in PoE's success and ended up with the conclusion that Romances are generally not done right in RPGs, but it doesn't mean game shouldn't try to make them right. I'm fine with that, it's been a while since someone posted on the latest romance thread anyway.

Romance discussion seems to be like a virus on these forums, infecting even the most tangentially related topics.

Then to fight fire with fire.. do you think Angry Joe is going to get angry when he finds out there is no kill xp?

So the thread started with discussion about Angry Joe's significance in PoE's success and ended up with the conclusion that Romances are generally not done right in RPGs, but it doesn't mean game shouldn't try to make them right. I'm fine with that, it's been a while since someone posted on the latest romance thread anyway.

Romance discussion seems to be like a virus on these forums, infecting even the most tangentially related topics.

Then to fight fire with fire.. do you think Angry Joe is going to get angry when he finds out there is no kill xp?I

Seeing how he loved Banner Saga I doubt he would. People in this thread make him sound like some xbox dudebro, when he's not.

Then to fight fire with fire.. do you think Angry Joe is going to get angry when he finds out there is no kill xp?

XP thread!!! 

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

XP thread!!!

8D!

We can use it to weave everyone some XP garments! When you equip them, you gain XP! 6_u

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Quite surprising that Angry Joe would like this kind of game, but its a good thing that he does. It proves us that this kind of gameplay can be relevant to modern gamers as well. Besides there haven't really been many games like this even if taking account all the wonderfull released kickstarted games like Wasteland 2 or Divinity orginal sin.

Real time party based combat with pause is the rarest kind of rpg type. Unfortunately it is also my favourite kind of rpg. Aside Beamdog's updated baldur's gates and Bioware's Dragon age inquisition (a great game btw, but not really an isometric rpg in the most traditional sense), there hasn't been a new entry to this sub genre in ages.

As for Joe, I personally can't stand of watching his loud youtube videos, but in his defence I must say that he is dead honest and presents his critic in constructive manner.

Edited by Carados

(Also, it's getting progressively more difficult to find comments to latch romance discussions onto)

Interesting you should say that. We've had quite a few thread discussions about PoE's Engagement mechanic. Yet not once has Bruce come to those threads to propose such a system for romances.

I am disappoint, as they say.

The  main reason is I don't want to be seen to be hijacking threads to push a Romance agenda, we have more than enough threads to discuss Romance :)

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

(Also, it's getting progressively more difficult to find comments to latch romance discussions onto)

Interesting you should say that. We've had quite a few thread discussions about PoE's Engagement mechanic. Yet not once has Bruce come to those threads to propose such a system for romances.

I am disappoint, as they say.

The  main reason is I don't want to be seen to be hijacking threads to push a Romance agenda, we have more than enough threads to discuss Romance :)

Agreed. Unfortunately it has gotten a bit out of hand as of late. I've stopped participating in they've stopped being productive (partly my fault). Ah well...

No matter your opinion on 'Angry Joe', the fact that he is hyped about PoE and he introduces the game to his followers can only mean good things.

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

angry joe?  well, it is nice that he likes the game, whoever he is.

on the other hand, if it were Mighty Joe Young who approved...

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

No matter your opinion on 'Angry Joe', the fact that he is hyped about PoE and he introduces the game to his followers can only mean good things.

Technically, it can mean good AND bad things, together. But, it can't really mean only bad things.

So, in binary terms, yes, it can't mean an absence of good things. It can only mean a presence of them, :)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I've only taken a gander at this thread a couple of times, but I'm going to break into regularly scheduled programming to note that classic rhetoric was 'narrow minded' in that there was only room for two sides.  Kind of like courts today.  You have the state or a plaintiff and a defendant.  So, even though Stun can be a bit much at times (I mean that in only the most romantic way, you loveable scoundrel), he basically fits into the classical rhetoric mode by staking out one side and then going after the other side.  He's like a Latter day chickpea with an angry avatar.  Anyhow, I'm glad the pissed off gent likes PoE.  I'm hoping to like it just as much or more.

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Its good that Angry Joe's "youth" army bringing some sales but really dont care about a console fanboy reviewer's opinion about PoE.

Don't think he is a console fanboy, one of his favorite companies is Paradox

Edited by kozzy

I'm surprised most of you care whether he reviews it favourably or not, seeing as how most of you are Kickstarter backers and have already "purchased" the game.

Yes I backed the game but I also love to see Obsidian games selling as much as they can and getting more pubicity and positive feedback the better. I have never let reviews decide for me if I like a game or want to buy a game, BUT... there are alot of people out there who have no idea what POE is and will now give it a chance after watching a video from the likes of TB or Angry Joe.

I love that we've established there are only two types of people in the world:

1) Those who favor any and all romance.

2) Those who the-opposite-of-favor any and all romance.

I comeback to check on the forums and I see my thread is 15+ pages, mainly discussion about romance lol. What have I started! :no:

Edited by kozzy
  • Like 1

I comeback to check on the forums and I see my thread is 15+ pages, mainly discussion about romance lol. What have I started! :no:

You used the word "love" in the title. It's all your fault!!!

• Like 1

You used the word "love" in the title. It's all your fault!!!

Laughed out loud.  I don't know why romance has become such a divisive subject.  When I was here months ago, Kill XP was the big fight, but apparently that design decision has been cooked into the books.  As for the review, there wasn't much there to discuss for people here who've been following things.  It's good that PoE got a positive review somewhere though.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Speaking of reviews and love, and since this thread has derailed a lot anyways, here's a quote from a reddit post submitted yesterday:

It’s early March and Obsidian’s Pillars of Eternity launches in three weeks, yet no word has been mentioned by almost any of the mainstream video gaming sites. This title is a big deal [...]

We need more hype!

• 1 month later...

Words. So many words to be read. But read them he did.

Yup. He's literate...

Fair review.

Edited by Leferd
  • Like 9

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I agree with him in  every point...

It is really nice of him to give this game an 8 as it seems like he thinks that this game deserves a 7 by his usual standards but he is always happy to help old classics.

And now the game will get more sales. His reviews are usually getting more than a half a million views in a week and this by itself will improve the sales.

• Like 4

troll.gifseatroll.gificetroll.giftroll.gif

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

My main objective is to use my results to take over the world!

I cant be mad at any reviews that score it a 8, 9 or 10, like the reviews are so far (with a 90% average). As always Angry Joe's review had some funny moments lol.

Edited by kozzy

I almost switched him off as the intro was doltish and annoying. Then you get into it and he's not a bad reviewer and has a pleasant way about him.

I suppose he's not aimed at me, but I do wonder how many people give him fifteen seconds and hit the off switch.

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG