Angry Joe LOVED Pillars Of Eternity

You know he plays a lot of PC stuff too, right? Also, I play vast majority of my games on Consoles but I still put some of my money into the kickstarter of this. Granted, I played every past IE game + expansion and spent more time on a PC back in those days (kinda split between console/PC back then). You don't like Joe, you don't like em but ignoring someones opinion because you have some weird personal issue with consoles is... I dunno, whatever.

I dont really wanted to drag to this discussion but...

Many years before I really enjoyed his work. Especially on thoughs about "main-stream/game news/ corruption" and putting some decent reviews but over the last years hes been adicted to Twitch. Therefor he started to lack content on youtube where he shines; instead he started Lets Plays, subscription co-op games, etc... Basicly hes now turned into Twitch gamer. He was doing some reviews in early work but now hes just focusing AAA+++ games. Promoting or Hyping some projects or games then when It fails he just doesnt care about the mislead and continue his bashing process. Also I dont care about his oppinion about PoE because I know that he lacks knowlage about this preticular genera (also Paradox games too) Not about regular console vs PC thing or about my personal issue. 

* by console vs pc I mean; games designed for console vs games designes for pc. 

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

I don't know enough about Angry Joe to form a like/dislike, but I've seen some of his reviews for games I've played and he seemed fair enough to me. He has a video persona, which I suppose some may not like, but if you can get past that he's kinda funny and seems like a decent enough dude.

And if he gets people aware of/interested in PoE who might otherwise never have, even better.

• Like 5
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Is an angry joe like a totalbiscuit? I don't follow youtube personalities. I presume from the conversation this is a significantly good thing? Is the demographic for these people that significant?

Angry Joe's reviews can regularly get over a million+ views and he has almost 2 million subscribers.

His style is not similar to Totalbiscuit but they run in the same circles. Their pvp X-Com matches are pretty good.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Is an angry joe like a totalbiscuit? I don't follow youtube personalities. I presume from the conversation this is a significantly good thing? Is the demographic for these people that significant?

They are both big Youtube people, yeah, though I don't know enough to compare the audiences between the two. Joe is mostly known for reviews, and I wanna say Total "144 IQ" Biscuit started off with... World of Warcraft stuff? I think? before branching out. The video the OP linked has 100,000 views, which is a significant enough number.

jcod0.png

Ok the idea that he's comparing it to Darkest Dungeon because that's the only other RPG he's played is just ludicrously comic to me. Sometimes I forget just how few RPG's have been made in the past couple decades, especially if you discount FPS's like Mass Effect.

I mean, hell, the guy seems decent enough, it's just hilarious that this guy heard of Darkest Dungeon but not Pillars.

He has heard about PoE before he ever heard about Darkest Dungeons, as he interviewed BAdler at E3 2014 about it, but Darkest Dungeons was several days steam's best selling game and it is popular with twitch streamers and youtubers, so it is probably much better known game with his viewers than Pillars of Eternity, at least until PoE actually comes out. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8E-MR1V05E

The few reviews of his I have seen seemed pretty good. I don't know where people are getting the "console gamer" tag from. Maybe I haven't seen enough of his videos, because he reviews PC exclusive games and has reviewed mult-iplatform games on PC.

He started with console (Xbox), I think. I'm not 100% certain, not one bit. I think he later expanded his business and started including more with PC and PS4. I recall seeing something said by him about PS4 being his first(?) Sony console to review games on.

Lots of recalling and not very sure at all. But I remember following him for quite a while and it was mostly console, but I also remember I had the sense that he started doing more and more PC during the time as well.

Edited by Osvir

I'm surprised most of you care whether he reviews it favourably or not, seeing as how most of you are Kickstarter backers and have already "purchased" the game. Unless you feel he might "review it wrong" or not score it properly...in which case whatever floats your boat. If Joe is a backer, he's nostalgic and eager for this type of game (as all of us are).

Youtubers/Twitch streamers are the new reality of gaming marketing and press. With speedier and easier access internet services, anyone can upload/download video quickly, making it easier and faster to see unfiltered gameplay. I bought Binding of Isaac after watching a streamer; I would never have given that game a chance because I didn't like the art style but it grew on me and the gameplay hooked me in. Basically, let go of preconceptions about the form of review/impression. There are hundreds of reviewers, let's players, streamers, "game journalists", gaming blogs, etc. to filter your opinions through. Will I watch Joe's review? Nope. But I do hope he enjoys the game and has a good time.

• Like 5

It shouldn't be that surprising. Good reviews and press equals more purchases from people who Aren't Us equals more funding for the expansion/sequel. Natural for fans to pay attention to these sorts of things.

Or if you're more cynical, good reviews and press equals more purchases from people who Aren't Us equals a split fanbase and the watering down of the gahaha okay I can't keep that up.

Edited by Tamerlane
  • Like 2
jcod0.png

Strange. He usually plays AAA games on his console and I don't expected him to play indie games. But if he likes POE, there will be no reason to be sad :)

I hope he will not crush this game in his review because he doesn't know he can use a pause in combat  :p

My thought, too. I can see him thinking the game is something it's not, and then chainsawing the game by it's ankles come release. What little I've seen of him, he seems like a loudmouthed knuckledragger exemplifying the non-gamer gamer generation of self-appointed "nerds", the douchiest of the douchiest.

You know he plays a lot of PC stuff too, right? Also, I play vast majority of my games on Consoles but I still put some of my money into the kickstarter of this. Granted, I played every past IE game + expansion and spent more time on a PC back in those days (kinda split between console/PC back then). You don't like Joe, you don't like em but ignoring someones opinion because you have some weird personal issue with consoles is... I dunno, whatever.

It's not really a "personal issue with consoles"; console "gamers" and the console platform has been poisoning PC gaming for over a decade, and Ruzen is hardly alone in the sentiment. The fact that someone favours consoles (and therefore favours console gameplay) definitely warrants ignoring their opinion and all their input should be treated as suspect, at best.

Just so you know, this kind of attitude is much douchier and poisonous to the "gaming community" than some guy who plays Halo or whatever arbitrary line you are drawing in the sand. If you love games then you should be happy that all kinds of people are getting into them which will lead to new viewpoints and experiences in games that we've missed out on due to the insular nature of the business until fairly recently.

Remember the wise words of the philosophers Bill S. Preston Esq. and Ted "Theodore" Logan:

1. Be Excellent To One Another

2. Party On Dudes

So lets all have fun playing games together and not be horrible little gremlins hiding in our clubhouses with "NO GIRLS OR JOCKS ALLOWED" signs next to the door.

• Like 15

Excuse me I just threw up a little.

• Like 7

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Poor fellow gets ****ed on for being a "console peasant" while attending PDXcon  :p.

Yeah, pretty ironic.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Strange. He usually plays AAA games on his console and I don't expected him to play indie games. But if he likes POE, there will be no reason to be sad :)

I hope he will not crush this game in his review because he doesn't know he can use a pause in combat  :p

My thought, too. I can see him thinking the game is something it's not, and then chainsawing the game by it's ankles come release. What little I've seen of him, he seems like a loudmouthed knuckledragger exemplifying the non-gamer gamer generation of self-appointed "nerds", the douchiest of the douchiest.

It's not really a "personal issue with consoles"; console "gamers" and the console platform has been poisoning PC gaming for over a decade, and Ruzen is hardly alone in the sentiment. The fact that someone favours consoles (and therefore favours console gameplay) definitely warrants ignoring their opinion and all their input should be treated as suspect, at best.

Just so you know, this kind of attitude is much douchier and poisonous to the "gaming community" than some guy who plays Halo or whatever arbitrary line you are drawing in the sand. If you love games then you should be happy that all kinds of people are getting into them which will lead to new viewpoints and experiences in games that we've missed out on due to the insular nature of the business until fairly recently.

Remember the wise words of the philosophers Bill S. Preston Esq. and Ted "Theodore" Logan:

1. Be Excellent To One Another

2. Party On Dudes

So lets all have fun playing games together and not be horrible little gremlins hiding in our clubhouses with "NO GIRLS OR JOCKS ALLOWED" signs next to the door.

This is a nice feel-good philosophy (with which I generally agree), but the animosity of Luckmann and others has a specific source. Attempting to appease console gamers and casual gamers in the making of PC-RPGs has had a clear impact on them over the last decade or more. Dumbing down and choosing flash over substance because of console limitations and casual gamers who need floaty quest markers and achievements, and who care more about how detailed their character's hair is than they do about being able to define that character or about the story or mechanics of the game, has created a group of fans with no games made that they really enjoy. So, I agree that it doesn't do much good to throw around insults and I hope this Joe guy has a fun time with the game, but I don't have any interest in isometric, party-based, western CRPGs (or any CRPGs to be honest, but I'm mostly concerned with this subgenre in particular) being any further corrupted by the desires of casual gamers and console gamers. The result of that corruption/change, call it whatever you like, is every AAA RPG to come out for the last ten years and they can happily go play DA:I, The Witcher 3 for their mainstream gaming needs. So I don't really care who loves this game, the more the merrier, so long as they love it for what it is and Obsidian and other companies don't repeat the mistakes of the past and start trying to broaden the target audience of their RPGs and destroying them in the process.

All that being said, hopefully everyone will party on and at least try to be excellent to one another.

• Like 8

"Forsooth, methinks you are no ordinary talking chicken!"

-Protagonist, Baldur's Gate

^^ Considering that I believe part of Obsidian's desire to make/KS PoE was because they wanted to make something that wasn't "limited" by console catering, I don't think one has to worry about that here. Of course, exactly what is "console catering" vs. just plain "time and tech marches on" is always up for debate/subjective, but  PoE turning into Dragon Age just because someone like Angry Joe likes/endorses the game is pretty unlikely. :disguise:

• Like 7
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

There is value to aiming for a broader audience as well as for smaller markets. It's nice to have entry level stuff, or even just dumb stuff you can mindlessly blast your way through. Gaming reaching a wider audience is a net positive though, obviously you will get huge AAA games that might be bland or samey but you get that problem with Hollywood and theres still hundreds of great movies from smaller studios that can get made because of those big dumb movies, they give the studios money and kids grow up watching big blockbuster movies then make smaller, more personal ones when they are older.

Some games have limitations due to this wider spread of audiences and consoles not being able to do everything and that can be a bummer. This isn't some vast encroaching enemy we have to fight off though. Just like the taco girl says, why not have both? People shouldn't act like they are superior to others just because they like different genres/levels of complexity, its gross.

• Like 1

I'm glad the game is getting good publicity, but the only reviews I expect I'll value in regards to PoE are those done by old school CRPG nerds. If you think 'CRPG' and the first word that pops into your head is 'Skyrim', as I suspect is the case for a lot of modern gamers, your opinion is disqualified from consideration. 

• Like 2

The only review perspective I truly value is my own...after I've played it. Only me knows me, after all.

Pro/net reviews are only for gaining a general feeling of whether a game even has a small chance of being of a type I might be into.

• Like 2

Ok the idea that he's comparing it to Darkest Dungeon because that's the only other RPG he's played is just ludicrously comic to me. Sometimes I forget just how few RPG's have been made in the past couple decades, especially if you discount FPS's like Mass Effect.

I mean, hell, the guy seems decent enough, it's just hilarious that this guy heard of Darkest Dungeon but not Pillars.

He has heard about PoE before he ever heard about Darkest Dungeons, as he interviewed BAdler at E3 2014 about it, but Darkest Dungeons was several days steam's best selling game and it is popular with twitch streamers and youtubers, so it is probably much better known game with his viewers than Pillars of Eternity, at least until PoE actually comes out. 

Yeah I guess I can see that it's just a funny juxtaposition because I think of Obsidian as major industry players and Darkest Dungeon as a scrappy upstart. Don't get me wrong I love Darkest Dungeon and backed it also but the idea that it's more high-profile than PoE is sortof hilarious to me, even though I guess right now it's true. It's like if someone introduced Peyton Manning by comparing him to this year's Heisman winner. Or the time I saw "If you like [Robert Jordan], you might also like  [J.R.R. Tolkien]" on a bookstore shelf.

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy
  • Like 1