I just learned about a mechanic *from an interview* rather than from the game. o.o

Havelok

So, I've played the backer beta for about 10 hours so far,  I had absolutely no idea until this interview: 

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2886976/pillars-of-eternity-josh-sawyer-talks-mods-pc-first-focus-big-head-mode-and-more.html

that all AOE's have a bonus area that does not cause friendly fire.

I really hope the game proper makes this clear at some point to the player or I think many people are going to miss this. I knew that Int increased AOE radius, but not that the radius was Foe Only. That makes it *much* more appealing. 

• Like 2

Don't know how you missed it. It's been explained multiple times from multiple sources everywhere - including in this forum. It's also explained in the spell descriptions, and I believe in the in-game glossary description for Intellect. Foe only AoE is also depicted by the yellow color when you aim the spell.

Edited by Sensuki

Well for slow-folk like me I'd suggest at least a loading screen message or somesuch :p. As far as I could tell, the spell descriptions do have some notes about AoE but it generally seems to refer to whether or not the spell on the whole is foe-only or does have a friendly fire risk. You are right in that I didn't look and the Int glossary description, only the character creator blurb (which honestly, should at least mention it). 

Edited by Havelok

Well for slow-folk like me I'd suggest at least a loading screen message or somesuch :p. As far as I could tell, the spell descriptions do have some notes about AoE but it generally seems to refer to whether or not the spell on the whole is foe-only or does have a friendly fire risk. You are right in that I didn't look and the Int glossary description, only the character creator blurb (which honestly, should at least mention it). 

There's a feature in-game called "Beginner Tooltips" or something, have you tried turning that option on? I'm not sure if it works yet but I think that should explain the mechanics in pop-ups in game for you.

I agree that the character creation small description box doesn't do a very good job of fitting in long descriptions. We asked for larger description pages (there's enough room to increase the height, but they ignored that suggestion/haven't implemented it).

Edited by Sensuki

So, I've played the backer beta for about 10 hours so far,  I had absolutely no idea until this interview: 

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2886976/pillars-of-eternity-josh-sawyer-talks-mods-pc-first-focus-big-head-mode-and-more.html

that all AOE's have a bonus area that does not cause friendly fire.

I really hope the game proper makes this clear at some point to the player or I think many people are going to miss this. I knew that Int increased AOE radius, but not that the radius was Foe Only. That makes it *much* more appealing. 

I believe this is the area described by the outer green ring when you target an AoE spell.

The spells areas effects will be changed with something more appropriate and visual pleasing instead than it's now, just some lines?

After my realization that White March has the same XP reward problem, I don't even have the drive to launch game anymore because I hated so much reaching Twin Elms with a level cap in vanilla PoE that I don't wish to relive that experience.

Well is it same even for higher difficulty? It would be sad if there would be no FF on Hard with spells like fireball

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"