Countdown to Eternity!

I'd like to know who re-wrote Chris Avellone's companions. Actually it would be nice to know who wrote each companion :)

We know that Josh wrote Pallegina, Chris did the original versions of Durance and The Grieving Mother, but we're unsure about the rest. We know that Carrie Patel wrote 2, Eric Fenstermaker wrote 2 and Olivia Veras wrote one.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 8

Yes, I'm glad I didn't back your tier is all I can say. I think you would have been better off doing an item :(

That said - the NPCs are in the game, so it's possible that they could improve them in the future.

edit: For clarification, in an earlier build you could interact with the NPC - but you had to mouse over them and then their whole character model was obscured by this circular eye icon which you clicked on and it brought up an item description page with your character background. 

I'm glad that was removed because it wasn't a very good implementation.

I'm not sure what their plans are for it - but that's something they could answer in this thread!

There's more to it. The functionality is disabled in the beta. 

• Like 18

Follow me on twitter - @adam_brennecke

- Though the focus of Pillars of Eternity is a small-ish area in the Eastern Reach, do you ever plan on releasing a larger map that encompasses the known world? 

- Will the characters that were previously join-able companions still be present somewhere in the game? I could easily see the Cipher Detective Orlan still being around as a sort of representative of their organization, for example.

- Will you continue to iterate on classes and abilities as patches are released going forward, or are such things (for the most part) nailed down? Could we expect, for example, that halfway through our playthrough our class abilities change in some major way? 

- Did you manage to squeak enough variety out of the magic item backers to prevent their being 150 magic longswords lying around? 

Edited by Havelok
  • Like 3

- Though the focus of Pillars of Eternity is a small-ish area in the Eastern Reach, do you ever plan on releasing a larger map that encompasses the known world? 

Second this question. I can understand wanting to focus on your target area for now, but giving us a greater understanding of the scope of our actions/place in the world will make the game feel more real.

• Like 2

I'd love a point-by-point list and description of major factions operating in the game based on what someone living in the region would know when the game starts (i.e. before we start uncovering things and changing things), and also a walk-through of the various deities (not just the ones Priests can choose) and the various Paladin Orders (not just the ones Paladins can choose).

Beyond what little we already know, of course.

Life expectancy for each of the races we get to pick in the game. original.gif

I'd kill for a "Racial dossier" type of thing, with a walk-through of the racial, cultural and national aspect of each species and it's races, as well as a general overlook of the overall geography of Eora (not necessarily a map, but point-by-point descriptions of the various known regions and how they vaguely relate to eachother).

It sounds more daunting than it needs to be.

• Like 3

t50aJUd.jpg

Yes, I'm glad I didn't back your tier is all I can say. I think you would have been better off doing an item sad.png

That said - the NPCs are in the game, so it's possible that they could improve them in the future.

edit: For clarification, in an earlier build you could interact with the NPC - but you had to mouse over them and then their whole character model was obscured by this circular eye icon which you clicked on and it brought up an item description page with your character background. 

I'm glad that was removed because it wasn't a very good implementation.

I'm not sure what their plans are for it - but that's something they could answer in this thread!

There's more to it. The functionality is disabled in the beta.

I have this sneaky suspicion that the main character can "read" souls. I've had it for a while, whenever the discussion of the backer NPC:s come up, I think of it.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

Sneaking, suspicion. I think so, too. 

On topic, there is nothing I'm dying to know, other than the question of whether the Obsidian t-shirts will be the greatest shirts ever made, or the best shirts in history. 

Edited by ManifestedISO
  • Like 3

All Stop. On Screen.

Life expectancy for each of the races we get to pick in the game. :)

http://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/76137431236/what-are-the-average-life-spans-of-the-races-in#notes

Thank you! :)

The question was asked Feb 9 2015:

inertia-atomsk asked: What Are the average life spans of the races in pillars of eternity?

Josh: "I don’t have the docs in front of me, but humans are pretty standard, dwarves and elves are longer-lived but not as much as in a lot of A/D&D settings (I think elves top out around 350).  I don’t remember the aumaua lifespans, but orlans are shorter-lived than humans."

So, the question of aumaua average life-span remains.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I would like a basic introduction to our companion NPCs.

I know Obsidian is trying to avoid spoilers but I think it's a bit over the top right now.

Given how popular companion interaction is in other recent RPGs I think it could really help to point out that this is actually a thing in PoE in future interviews and such.

Got a little off topic there,... point is I'd like to know some general basics about our companions before release.

If at all possible, some general skill info about our companions would also be useful. So, for example, I can avoid focusing my PC on Two handed weapons + Greatsword when Eder later joins the party with those skills by default.

• Like 1

I would like to hear more about strongholds! We had a backer update about a year ago, but I wondered if you could share more details now. For example, ow will attacks on strongholds look like? Just enemy NPCs storming through the gates and attacking you? Or is there slightly more to it? Can one build catapults or set up any kind of defenses in the courtyard?

• Like 3

I would like to know if companions automatically level up when they are not in your party (like NWN2) or maybe they don't gain XP when alone (like BG).

You can send the non-party companions on separate "quests" from the Stronghold, and they get XP from those. Offline adventuring, so to speak.

• Like 1

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

I would like to know if companions automatically level up when they are not in your party (like NWN2) or maybe they don't gain XP when alone (like BG).

This has been answered previously. Companions get a percentage of your XP earned or something, and you can send them on missions as well using the Stronghold interface (to gain xp, money, items etc etc). That is old info though and the specifics may have changed a bit.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 2

Will there be talents or abilities that you can gain that do not come through level-up?

• Like 6

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Will there be (optional) really tough battles/enemies (like Kangaxx)?

Are there any talking swords (or other weapons/armor) in PoE ;P?

Will you be able to meet some of the really powerful beings of Eora (like Elminster)?

Is it possible to anger the gods and if so will there be consequences?

Who is the oldest being in the world of PoE and how old is it?

Chris Avellone talked about something he wrote for his characters and that it got scratched due to budget/time constraints. Is there any hope that something like this would make it into the expansion or a sequel?

Is there any companion like voice of many from mask of the betrayer (=as strange and unusual)?

Are there any powerful organizations which you shouldn't cross? If so what's the deal about them? How did they rise to power and what are their (superficial) motives?

What would it mean for the world if there was a way to destroy a soul once and for all with no chance to be reborn into a new cycle?

Edited by Shiroco