Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #90: Shipping and Strategy Guide

Update 90 Pillars of Eternity Poll Shipping Rewards

• Please log in to reply
330 replies to this topic

middydj

middydj

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I feel so excited I just can't hide it feeling so wicked awesome

I know the feeling brother. Right there with ya!

HozzM

HozzM

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm going to assume that this isn't the case but just to quickly clarify, this isn't the same thing as the hardcover collectors book that is included with some of the pledge tiers right? but is in fact just a physical version of the digital guide that is included on some pledge tiers? just want to double check before I or anyone else as dumb as me (that needs **** spelling out to them specifically) goes ahead and buys something that might already be included in our pledge. I'm 99% sure they aren't the same thing but like i said, just double checking :-

You are correct. This is a strategy guide and is completely different than the Dark Horse Collector's Book. The Collector's Book is the lore and art of the game.

What is the backer equivalent of this book on Amazon?  The 'Collector's Book' or the 'Digital Almanac'?  Or neither...

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/1616558091/

Looking in this thread it appears that the GuideBook Volume One is the same as the Collector's Book offered at the $250 and up Kickstarter tier.

GrinningReaper659

GrinningReaper659

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Yep, unless they do decide that they're able to provide an opt-out option for those who want everything at the same time, your physical rewards (your signed CE box) will arrive without the game and then the game disk will arrive later. I really hope that they work something out for those that want a box with the game inside. The box was described as including the game and other things, so separating them is a bit of a failure to deliver on that promise.

Is a 75% majority vote enough to not deliver on something that was agreed to? The vote is pretty disengenuous because it just shows how many people weren't planning on keeping their boxes unopened in the first place, which was obviously going to be a strong majority. Those who wanted to have a single box that they kept unopened knew they were in the minority but it didn't matter because the description said they'd get a box with the game and everything else in it. It should also be mentioned that a lot of people seemed to misunderstand the poll and the poll was open to those that didn't even get physical rewards. So, apart from the fact that the vote shouldn't be used for this decision in the first place, it's also likely innacurate.

Anyway, maybe I'm being overly dramatic, but it seems messed up to let a poll determine that 25% (or perhaps far more) of physical backers won't get something that they really want which was promised to them. I really hope you guys work something out with Paradox for those that want everything together.

Well, i see your point.

I'm a digital only backer, just to say. It's true that i didn't imagine at first that people would buy such an expansive game box without willing to open it. But now, i remember that i've already seen this. For true collectors, having a very limited sealed edition of PoE must be unvaluable. Much more than any non-kickstarter game because the KS backer editions are much rarer. So, even, if i'm not into this, i understand your problem here, and that this is a big deal for passionate people. We are all passionate people, just we are passionate about all sort of different stuff.

And there are other people who have an opposed kind of ritual, wanting the books before the game to get hyped while waiting for the DVDs (the waiting part is important it seems). While i don't see any problems here, i must say that sometimes, it must be hard to be at Obsidian :D. Must be hard, as a developper, to deal with just one publisher who explain you that you have to do things this way, or this one, and that you have 10 months to craft a dull console game that would need 18. But to satisfy every single backer must give some crude headaches too :D. Just hope we are not worse than EA Games ;)

Just to be clear, I know there are difficult decisions for OE to make and that they can't completely please everyone in some cases. If it turns out that the game disks ship separately from the box, I'm certainly not going to throw any hate toward Obsidian. However, while they are in the process of deciding how important it is to include an option for things being shipped in the same box, I'm absolutely going to bring up what I think are some valid points on the matter.

Alfa Kilo

Alfa Kilo

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Will backers who are supposed to only get physical rewards get a free digital version on release? I am just wondering since I added an addon for a digital copy because I was told that physical copies do nto automatically come with extra digital copy and would thus end up with two digital copies.

jtomasz

jtomasz

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 4 posts
  • Steam:JustinCorrigible
  • Kickstarter Backer

This is exceptionally upsetting to me.  So sick and tired of this impatience that is bred in the gaming world.  I do need this cleared up, however.  I paid in for a signed collector's boxed copy (the $250 tier).  Am I actually going to get that with the physical disc later?  Or am I getting a signed box with a cloth map and all the other physical stuff first?  Because the latter is not a signed collector's boxed version of the game, and I want it to be clear that if so, I am not getting what was promised.

I don't understand, what's the difference?

A box full of stuff without the game inside is not a boxed version of the game.  I don't just spend money and not read what I am getting.  They used specific language, and now it sounds like they aren't going to deliver on a pretty big promise for people who went in with more money.

Messier-31

Messier-31

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2244 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I'm impressed. Isn't shipping the physical rewards at the game's release and the game discs at a later date more complicated and expensive way than shipping all at once but later?
  • Fhjull Schlangenzunge likes this

Devard

Devard

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Will backers who are supposed to only get physical rewards get a free digital version on release? I am just wondering since I added an addon for a digital copy because I was told that physical copies do nto automatically come with extra digital copy and would thus end up with two digital copies.

What tier level did you pledge at? I wasn't aware of a physical reward tier that didn't come with a digital version of the game.

Hiro Protagonist II

Hiro Protagonist II

Ysbryd rhydd of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2582 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer

I imagine that the box when it arrives will contain the game disc box/compartment inside it so that when the discs arrive its just a case of putting them in their proper place. as for the notion that some people didn't want to have to break the seal and open the box (but will now have to just to put the discs inside)....... Well without getting insulting I find it ridiculous, I mean why would you buy an edition with a hardcover art book and map etc inside if you don't want to look at them/read them? I mean sure the whole thing will perhaps retain more value if it all remains sealed but I don't imagine any of us are going to be selling them? or am I wrong?

It's not ridiculous at all. And yes, you are wrong to speak for everybody.

I received my Wasteland 2 Signed Collectors Edition a week or so ago, still shrink wrapped despite finishing the game last year. And I've already looked at the contents in digital format so I don't need to open it.

And one day I will most likely end up selling it. So why wouldn't I keep it sealed? You can still buy sealed Atari 2600 and C64 games on ebay.

Alfa Kilo

Alfa Kilo

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

What tier level did you pledge at? I wasn't aware of a physical reward tier that didn't come with a digital version of the game.

I did not back during Kickstarter, I pledged/ordered directly from the site (Boxed Copy of Pillars of Eternity - which does not include digital copy).

Vorhees

Vorhees

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Steam:Jonnybear84
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

This is exceptionally upsetting to me.  So sick and tired of this impatience that is bred in the gaming world.  I do need this cleared up, however.  I paid in for a signed collector's boxed copy (the $250 tier).  Am I actually going to get that with the physical disc later?  Or am I getting a signed box with a cloth map and all the other physical stuff first?  Because the latter is not a signed collector's boxed version of the game, and I want it to be clear that if so, I am not getting what was promised.

I don't understand, what's the difference?

A box full of stuff without the game inside is not a boxed version of the game.  I don't just spend money and not read what I am getting.  They used specific language, and now it sounds like they aren't going to deliver on a pretty big promise for people who went in with more money.

Well when you receive the discs, what you do is you take those discs and you put them in where the discs would normally be had they arrived with the collectors box and voila, a signed collector's boxed version of the game will be there in front of you...........

I imagine that the box when it arrives will contain the game disc box/compartment inside it so that when the discs arrive its just a case of putting them in their proper place. as for the notion that some people didn't want to have to break the seal and open the box (but will now have to just to put the discs inside)....... Well without getting insulting I find it ridiculous, I mean why would you buy an edition with a hardcover art book and map etc inside if you don't want to look at them/read them? I mean sure the whole thing will perhaps retain more value if it all remains sealed but I don't imagine any of us are going to be selling them? or am I wrong?

It's not ridiculous at all. And yes, you are wrong to speak for everybody.

I received my Wasteland 2 Signed Collectors Edition a week or so ago, still shrink wrapped despite finishing the game last year. And I've already looked at the contents in digital format so I don't need to open it.

And one day I will most likely end up selling it. So why wouldn't I keep it sealed? You can still buy sealed Atari 2600 and C64 games on ebay.

Well I do still find it ridiculous personally but there's been enough people on here saying that this is a thing so..... different strokes for different folks i guess, though I find the notion of ever selling any of my collectors boxes that I own to be abhorrent...... I guess I'm just sentimental that way lol.

LordCrash

LordCrash

Grand Weresheep of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1153 posts
  • Steam:LordCrash88
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Will the Prima strategy guide be available in different languages as well at release? I would gladly buy a German version. :)

On a different note: can we expect a sneak peek of the video documentary before release? That'd be very cool!

Edited by LordCrash, 22 February 2015 - 07:02 AM.

lightblade75

lightblade75

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

As I am a collector of cRPGs that have been released during the last three decades I know what the difference between a "shrink wrapped" (collectors) edition and not wrapped game box is. Just take a look at those rare Ultima I or Ultima II shrink wrapped game boxes you can seldom find on ebay.

The difference is often 200 or more EUR if it is still shrink wrapped.

The price a game can attain e. g. on ebay depends not only if the box is in mint condition. Regarding the games of old it seems that if the game has been a hit (e. g. 85% rating or higher) back in the days and is well known then it can attain a much higher price.

Lets see how high the rating frome game testers over europe and USA will be for PoE....

lightblade75

lightblade75

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Regarding the books: I pledged 140 $ (for the collectors boxed edition) and bought some additions like the soundtrack on CD and the card game (deck of playing cards) and shipping to europe for a total amount of 190 USD. But as far as I know every book in this tier is only digital (except the game manual).

I preordered the "Guidebook Volume I"  120 Pages by Dark Horse books via Amazon (around 14,50 EUR) and

The Collectors Edition Guide, 400 Pages (around 40 EUR)  also via Amazon.

Where is the difference between those guides?

Are those books the printed version of the digital ones?

I find this a little bit confusing....

Does OE get some funds from ordering these books?

Abel

Abel

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 504 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Just to be clear, I know there are difficult decisions for OE to make and that they can't completely please everyone in some cases. If it turns out that the game disks ship separately from the box, I'm certainly not going to throw any hate toward Obsidian. However, while they are in the process of deciding how important it is to include an option for things being shipped in the same box, I'm absolutely going to bring up what I think are some valid points on the matter.

I liked your post because you explained your point calmly and respectfully, even if the sealed box is a big deal for you. I hope i could do the same if i were in the same situation.  So, what i quoted here is obvious to me :). You're right, it's the time to explain your concerns. Thumbs up to you.

Edited by Abel, 22 February 2015 - 10:26 AM.

• Kai and Lephys like this

Norida

Norida

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 12 posts

Small question: My tier included my name in the thank you section but i pledged trough the website not on kickstarter, now on primaguide wabsite they mentions that only thoses that backed on kickstarter will have their name included. 

So will i have my name included or not ?

Beholder

Beholder

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 27 posts
“Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster... for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you.”

Friedrich Nietzsche 1938.jpg

P.S: Shhhh!! SHHHH!, so sayeth the beholder

Edited by Beholder, 22 February 2015 - 11:09 AM.

HozzM

HozzM

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Regarding the books: I pledged 140 $ (for the collectors boxed edition) and bought some additions like the soundtrack on CD and the card game (deck of playing cards) and shipping to europe for a total amount of 190 USD. But as far as I know every book in this tier is only digital (except the game manual).

I preordered the "Guidebook Volume I"  120 Pages by Dark Horse books via Amazon (around 14,50 EUR) and

It is confusing.  

The Guidebook Volume 1 (by Dark Horse) is the same as the 'Collector's Book' from the Kickstarter.  The Collectors Edition Guide (by Prima) is a hardcover version of the Digital Strategy guide from the Kickstarter.

AFAIK, the other 'book' from the Kickstarter, the almanac, is digital only.

lightblade75

lightblade75

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

It is confusing.  

The Guidebook Volume 1 (by Dark Horse) is the same as the 'Collector's Book' from the Kickstarter.  The Collectors Edition Guide (by Prima) is a hardcover version of the Digital Strategy guide from the Kickstarter.

AFAIK, the other 'book' from the Kickstarter, the almanac, is digital only.

Ah I see, so it was a right decision for me to order both books, as I want to have both.

In this case my collectors edition has a total amount of 190 USD plus rd. about 60 USD = 250 USD in total.

A lot of money for just one game.

Anyway, thank you for your explanation.

It would be cool if the Almanac would be also available in printed paper.

lightblade75

lightblade75

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I also would like to get the making of DVD. This would not cost more shipping if this disc would be shipped together with the game disk(s).

I do not see any reason for now, not to create a making of DVD. 

For me as a collector I do not like the download version of the making of.

So please, Obsidian, consider creating such  a DVD.

(What about a poll for this?)

Edited by lightblade75, 22 February 2015 - 12:09 PM.

• Fhjull Schlangenzunge likes this

Ark Evensong

Ark Evensong

Absent God-King of the Non-Obsidian Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
I doubt the Documentary will be ready by the time the DRM-free discs are. The game discs can be sent to the manufacturer on release date with no further risk for leaks. If the documentary wants to include the entire game development up until release, you'll need at least a couple of weeks more until you're done with final edits and get those DVDs manufactured. That said, if the game discs are already late, what are a couple of weeks more? (I, for one, wouldn't care. Others would.)

(If you want the documentary in the box, throw it on a USB-stick, together with the other digital-only goodies, and throw that in the box. Not really original/Collector's Edition worthy, though, I guess. Hrmm.)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Update 90, Pillars of Eternity, Poll, Shipping, Rewards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users