Update #90: Shipping and Strategy Guide

First and foremost, I would like to say thank you to everyone at Obsidian. You all are doing a great job and I am really excited about the release of this game. Even though this is my first post here (I don't post much on any forum) I have been following PoE's progress for sometime and I regularly read the forums. I hope I can add my two cents.  

I honestly feel that sending the Retail box without the disk is doing a real disservice to many backers.  I know at your heart you are trying to do what is right and best for everyone, however, I am certain there are many backers who want to keep their box unopened and complete with it's content. Moreover, the type of backer who wants this will generally be your more "hardcore" gamer.  People who believe in the game and spread the word.  I've made my whole family watch the initial Kickstarter trailer because I was so pumped and none of them even play games.  This led to a whole explanation about KickStarter, video games, video game production and the effects Companies have on development... I know there are many more like me who are mostly silent until it gets to be too much... A good example would be Mass Effect 3's ending.  After being depressed for 3 days I flipped out and explained to everyone and their brother about the evil's of EA and how they ruined Mass Effect... I wrote letters to the company, posted on their forums etc...

Now, I will not compare shipping the game without the disk to the horror's of Mass Effect 3's ending, but seriously... I specifically bought a special edition hardbox... Just think about that sentence... I paid for a special edition hardbox... can it please come with the game inside?

Again, please send it to me with the official game inside.  I don't care how or when, I just want what is expected when you make a purchase like that.

Lastly, If this post is too much or you feel I was disrespectful, I do apologize. I am proud of what you all have done. I just think there are a lot of silent backers out there who want the same exact thing.

-Eric

I've made my whole family watch the initial Kickstarter trailer because I was so pumped and none of them even play games.  This led to a whole explanation about KickStarter, video games, video game production and the effects Companies have on development... I know there are many more like me who are mostly silent until it gets to be too much... A good example would be Mass Effect 3's ending.  After being depressed for 3 days I flipped out and explained to everyone and their brother about the evil's of EA and how they ruined Mass Effect... I wrote letters to the company, posted on their forums etc...

Dude, you really need to calm down. Passion is good, but it can become unhealthy real easily.

• Like 2

I've made my whole family watch the initial Kickstarter trailer because I was so pumped and none of them even play games.  This led to a whole explanation about KickStarter, video games, video game production and the effects Companies have on development... I know there are many more like me who are mostly silent until it gets to be too much... A good example would be Mass Effect 3's ending.  After being depressed for 3 days I flipped out and explained to everyone and their brother about the evil's of EA and how they ruined Mass Effect... I wrote letters to the company, posted on their forums etc...

Dude, you really need to calm down. Passion is good, but it can become unhealthy real easily.

I understand your point on passion and how it can cross over to being nonconstructive. However, I don't understand why I need to calm down?  I made one post on this topic and I feel I was respectful in my tone.  I stand by my posting unless you point out exactly where I crossed the line.  You can see my post count, after this it will be only two. I didn't go crazy and insult anyone or pick at anyone who had a different opinion.

Regardless, if I did move beyond passion and I cant see it, I sincerely apologize.  Like I said before, I rarely post and my communication skills in this medium are not as well as I would like.  

Just for clarity, on the Mass Effect comments, where I think you will attempt to piecemeal my post and take it out of context. First, I was sad for 3 days, truly. This does not mean I didn't eat or go to work etc.., but when you invest time in a great piece of interactive art only to have it ruined in the last 5 minutes is truly heartbreaking. Also, 1 letter to EA, 1 letter to EA-BioWare, and 3 forum posts hardly qualify as unhealthy and I feel it was a proper way to communicate my feelings on their product.

If you've made someone learn about the game, I hope they don't start seeing it something annoying :)

Hmm, I can't tell here if you are picking at my post or what I wrote was not as reflective as it should have been. Saying I made them learn about the game reads like I strapped them in a chair and forced them.  Reality is, I asked everyone to watch the Kickstarter video and the video intrigued them. After they asked for an explanation and it led to a healthy discussion about what KickStarter is and how in this case it allowed the developers to be unchained from big corporate restrictions. 

I hope the sharks don't smell blood in the water to come and pick apart my posts. I hate those type of fights. Focusing on one line of a comment while the overall message is ignored.

I paid a lot of money for a game a year in advance... I didn't complain when the date was delayed as that is understandable and I expected that.  I never expected to get shipped a special edition hard-copy without the copy... That is not reasonable.  

This is twice I said that and I think it's enough.  I wont continue on or even defend my post anymore, I know you get what I was driving at.

-Eric

• Like 2

First off, I ordered the collector's edition hardbox but my intention had always been to open the box immediately.  While I can understand and appreciate the concerns of those who want a complete, sealed collector's edition, I am one of the people happy to receive a digital copy up front and the disc later -- with this in mind, I'd be fine getting the entire box later as long as I got the key early.  >.>

The one question I have relates to the digital game guide.  Perhaps I missed it, but when I put in my order a year or so ago I didn't know there would be a physical guide.  I would much rather have this hardback copy, and I've put in an order on Amazon for it -- but my understanding is this also comes with a copy of the digital guide.  Which I had paid for in the previous order.  Is there any way for me to cancel that one small piece of my order and say I'm getting the hardback instead?

Not a huge deal, I'll happily 'donate' that $7 to Obsidian, but I'm wondering if there are others in this situation.

If you've made someone learn about the game, I hope they don't start seeing it something annoying :)

Hmm, I can't tell here if you are picking at my post or what I wrote was not as reflective as it should have been. Saying I made them learn about the game reads like I strapped them in a chair and forced them.  Reality is, I asked everyone to watch the Kickstarter video and the video intrigued them. After they asked for an explanation and it led to a healthy discussion about what KickStarter is and how in this case it allowed the developers to be unchained from big corporate restrictions.

Sure, sure. I just imagined the "made them learn" process in a more cartoonish way and it called a funny image. We tend to forget that most of the time when we are in this more or less anonymous communication, we rarely recognise each other as persons, and the usual empathy we would show in a real conversation isn't present. We forget there are real people at the other end, unless something has been said which concerns us. But given these circumstances, we tend to care too much and take things coming from strangers too seriously. I got carried away... :)

• Like 1

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

I just read that there might be problems with getting a physical copy of the game for "some parts of the world". I do hope that Central Europe count as relatively close to get a box with disc inside the day Pillars of Eternity are released world-wide.

I understand your point on passion and how it can cross over to being nonconstructive. However, I don't understand why I need to calm down?  I made one post on this topic and I feel I was respectful in my tone.  I stand by my posting unless you point out exactly where I crossed the line.  You can see my post count, after this it will be only two. I didn't go crazy and insult anyone or pick at anyone who had a different opinion.

What I'm saying is that you need to step back and breathe. It's not the end of the world. It's a video game. And by the way, I'd say the same thing about any luxury item.

Can't wait guys!  I may be moving next month so hopefully it will not get lost in the mail!  In any case, can't wait to play it, time flies, feels like I just backed it!  Thank you for all your hard work!  :no:

The Obsidian Orders Royal Pain

"Ouch"

So, it's comming ^^

Only one regret : not getting the book even after paying 140 usd ^^ but ... This is it, I just have to learn to control myself better and not be hype too much. Eager to test the whole game now, and 20 days to wait.

So, this was posted in January or something I believe

-If you’re a backer getting physical goods, we’ll be sending an e-mail around the end of February that will ask you to confirm your shipping address for us.

I was wondering if anyone have received such a mail? I'm getting a tad bit nervous :p

• Like 1

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster . . .

when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you

I haven't seen a mail of that kind yet.

But hey, it's still 'around' the end of February.

If they want to get the goods to the international backers around the time of release, they can't postpone much longer, though. Are they even done with the ... uh, ~3000+ signatures?

Still, calm your nerves for a week or so.

Edited by Ark Evensong

Do I understand this correctly? Discs with actual game will be sent AFTER release? It's not like I'm gonna get game on release date or around that time? O_o Is it too late to switch from physical to full on digital versions? I live in russia and I assume Obsidian is going to use usual russian mail which is... like... additional months of delivery time. Seriously, can I switch to only digital some sort of backing thingy and meh on all physicals goodies?

Also I'm very confused on what am I even getting... it's this one "Pledge $100 or more", but really confused - 2 digital games, 3 or 1... kinda stupid mode activated here...

Edited by Varithus

I don't think it was possible to pledge for a physical, boxed copy of the game without getting at least 1 digital copy with it. So, if you're giving away your digital key, that's understandable. But, if not, there shouldn't be any worry about having to wait for the disc.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

-If you’re a backer getting physical goods, we’ll be sending an e-mail around the end of February that will ask you to confirm your shipping address for us.

I was wondering if anyone have received such a mail? I'm getting a tad bit nervous :p

Yeah haven't received anything either but then again my address has been entered since the beginning so there shouldn't be any problems (hopefully).

Do I understand this correctly? Discs with actual game will be sent AFTER release? It's not like I'm gonna get game on release date or around that time? O_o Is it too late to switch from physical to full on digital versions? I live in russia and I assume Obsidian is going to use usual russian mail which is... like... additional months of delivery time. Seriously, can I switch to only digital some sort of backing thingy and meh on all physicals goodies?

Also I'm very confused on what am I even getting... it's this one "Pledge $100 or more", but really confused - 2 digital games, 3 or 1... kinda stupid mode activated here...

You will get a digital key, don't worry. You can play on launch date, it's only that the physical copy will arrive with delay. 

Yeah haven't received anything either but then again my address has been entered since the beginning so there shouldn't be any problems (hopefully).

Yeah, my address change has been in forever so it should be fine.

I'm just glad I wasn't left out, since it seems none has gotten the mail it's not just me ^^

As long as I get the package at some point this spring I'm happy ^^, I've waited this long, I can wait a bit longer.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster . . .

when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you

I feel so excited I just can't hide it feeling so wicked awesome

I've driven friends of mine crazy talking about how much I anticipate this game. My wife is threatening me with divorce if I talk about it anymore. 

• Like 1

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Now we know what's going on...

I don't think it was possible to pledge for a physical, boxed copy of the game without getting at least 1 digital copy with it. So, if you're giving away your digital key, that's understandable. But, if not, there shouldn't be any worry about having to wait for the disc.

I pledged for the cheapest physical copy ($50 I believe) and I was pretty certain it contained a digital key too. But now I checked the goods in my pledge and there is no digital download of the game there. Not quite certain now... that would be a bummer, especially considering the delay with discs delivery.

Of course, a bummer out of my expectations, just that. It's nothing regarding how grateful I am for Osidian's work on this game since the beggining.  

It's just weird how two years passed so fast, sometimes I would even forget about this game, and now I can barely wait for its release! A little bit more than two weeks and it feels to much waiting! Damn, I should look for a distraction...  

I pledged for the cheapest physical copy ($50 I believe) and I was pretty certain it contained a digital key too. But now I checked the goods in my pledge and there is no digital download of the game there. Not quite certain now... that would be a bummer, especially considering the delay with discs delivery.

This is the first tier I see on the Kickstarter page that has a physical copy of the game. It's a $65 tier:

Previous reward tier + BOX VERSION OF PROJECT ETERNITY. The boxed copy will include a DVD version of the game and a printed manual. This is in addition to the digital version of the game (so 2 copies total!).

The $50 tier is digital-only, so if you get a physical copy, that wasn't the tier you pledged. And everything below that is digital-only, methinks. And everything above that that includes a physical copy also includes at least 1 digital copy.

I hope that just means you do have a digital copy heading your way. It's possible I've missed something, though.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

1 Boxed Copy of Pillars of Eternity

This tier includes:

• Box Version of Pillars of Eternity, DRM free for Windows, Mac, or Linux, with DVD and printed manual.
  • Digital download of the Cooking with Tim Cookbook – An RPG-themed e-Cookbook.
  • Digital download of the making of Pillars of Eternity Documentary.
  • Digital Novella by Chris Avellone.
  • Digital High-Res Game Map.
  • Digital High-Res Concept Art Pieces.
  • Wallpapers for Multiple Monitors.
  • Pillars of Eternity Themed Ringtones.
  • Digital Downloadable Soundtrack in MP3 and FLAC.
  • Digital Collector's Book.
Edited by Arden

Under a black flab we compile.

Yeah Arden, that's the same pledge that I made. I actually paid $65 for it, but I believe $15 was for shipping outside of the US (might be mistaken). It was not during kickstarter, it was during the 'slacker' backer PayPal period. I remember looking for the cheapest pledge for a boxed copy. TBH, I'm not sure now if there is a digital copy along with it, due to it being after the kickstarter period and all... 

^ Ohhhh. It's possible the Slacker Backer options were different. I didn't think about that.

I just bought the guidebook and the game guide in paper version because nothing beats the feeling of having the game manual in hand and the game running already on your monitor. I don't need CDs anymore, but manuals and guides are just so much better when they are for real in your hand. Plus you can take read them in bed or on the couch :)

Edited by frabron