Update #90: Shipping and Strategy Guide

Will the Prima strategy guide be available in different languages as well at release? I would gladly buy a German version. :)

On a different note: can we expect a sneak peek of the video documentary before release? That'd be very cool!

Edited by LordCrash
35167v4.jpg

As I am a collector of cRPGs that have been released during the last three decades I know what the difference between a "shrink wrapped" (collectors) edition and not wrapped game box is. Just take a look at those rare Ultima I or Ultima II shrink wrapped game boxes you can seldom find on ebay.

The difference is often 200 or more EUR if it is still shrink wrapped.

The price a game can attain e. g. on ebay depends not only if the box is in mint condition. Regarding the games of old it seems that if the game has been a hit (e. g. 85% rating or higher) back in the days and is well known then it can attain a much higher price.

Lets see how high the rating frome game testers over europe and USA will be for PoE....

Regarding the books: I pledged 140 $ (for the collectors boxed edition) and bought some additions like the soundtrack on CD and the card game (deck of playing cards) and shipping to europe for a total amount of 190 USD. But as far as I know every book in this tier is only digital (except the game manual).

I preordered the "Guidebook Volume I"  120 Pages by Dark Horse books via Amazon (around 14,50 EUR) and

The Collectors Edition Guide, 400 Pages (around 40 EUR)  also via Amazon.

Where is the difference between those guides?

Are those books the printed version of the digital ones?

I find this a little bit confusing....

Does OE get some funds from ordering these books?

Just to be clear, I know there are difficult decisions for OE to make and that they can't completely please everyone in some cases. If it turns out that the game disks ship separately from the box, I'm certainly not going to throw any hate toward Obsidian. However, while they are in the process of deciding how important it is to include an option for things being shipped in the same box, I'm absolutely going to bring up what I think are some valid points on the matter.

I liked your post because you explained your point calmly and respectfully, even if the sealed box is a big deal for you. I hope i could do the same if i were in the same situation.  So, what i quoted here is obvious to me :). You're right, it's the time to explain your concerns. Thumbs up to you.

Edited by Abel
  • Like 2

Small question: My tier included my name in the thank you section but i pledged trough the website not on kickstarter, now on primaguide wabsite they mentions that only thoses that backed on kickstarter will have their name included. 

So will i have my name included or not ?

Regarding the books: I pledged 140 $ (for the collectors boxed edition) and bought some additions like the soundtrack on CD and the card game (deck of playing cards) and shipping to europe for a total amount of 190 USD. But as far as I know every book in this tier is only digital (except the game manual).

I preordered the "Guidebook Volume I"  120 Pages by Dark Horse books via Amazon (around 14,50 EUR) and

It is confusing.  

The Guidebook Volume 1 (by Dark Horse) is the same as the 'Collector's Book' from the Kickstarter.  The Collectors Edition Guide (by Prima) is a hardcover version of the Digital Strategy guide from the Kickstarter.

AFAIK, the other 'book' from the Kickstarter, the almanac, is digital only.

It is confusing.  

The Guidebook Volume 1 (by Dark Horse) is the same as the 'Collector's Book' from the Kickstarter.  The Collectors Edition Guide (by Prima) is a hardcover version of the Digital Strategy guide from the Kickstarter.

AFAIK, the other 'book' from the Kickstarter, the almanac, is digital only.

Ah I see, so it was a right decision for me to order both books, as I want to have both.

In this case my collectors edition has a total amount of 190 USD plus rd. about 60 USD = 250 USD in total.

A lot of money for just one game.

Anyway, thank you for your explanation.

It would be cool if the Almanac would be also available in printed paper.

I also would like to get the making of DVD. This would not cost more shipping if this disc would be shipped together with the game disk(s).

I do not see any reason for now, not to create a making of DVD. 

For me as a collector I do not like the download version of the making of.

So please, Obsidian, consider creating such  a DVD.

(What about a poll for this?)

Edited by lightblade75
  • Like 1

I doubt the Documentary will be ready by the time the DRM-free discs are. The game discs can be sent to the manufacturer on release date with no further risk for leaks. If the documentary wants to include the entire game development up until release, you'll need at least a couple of weeks more until you're done with final edits and get those DVDs manufactured. That said, if the game discs are already late, what are a couple of weeks more? (I, for one, wouldn't care. Others would.)

(If you want the documentary in the box, throw it on a USB-stick, together with the other digital-only goodies, and throw that in the box. Not really original/Collector's Edition worthy, though, I guess. Hrmm.)

The documentary is no longer being printed. It will just be a download/stream online. To compensate, the documentary will be longer.

AND we'll get spiffy notepads, right? 8D!

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Can anyone clarify this for me, because now I'm utterly confused.

Are all of these totally different things:

1. Pillars of Eternity Guidebook Volume One Hardcover – March 24, 2015 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1616558091?pldnSite=1)

2. Pillars of Eternity: Prima Official Game Guide Hardcover – March 26, 2015 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1101898232?ie=UTF8&tag=randohouseinc7974-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1101898232)

3. Printed Collector's Book. (the one in the $250 reward tier)

4. Digital Collector's Book. (the one in some tiers is the exact digital replica of 3. right?)

I pre-ordered 1. and 2. because I initially thought 'Yay, the collector's book is available on amazon. I'm so happy, because I missed my chance to get the collector's book at the $250 tier'.

Hope you guys are willing to help me out here :)

Thanks in advance!

@Dartbord

I'm going to assume that this isn't the case but just to quickly clarify, this isn't the same thing as the hardcover collectors book that is included with some of the pledge tiers right? but is in fact just a physical version of the digital guide that is included on some pledge tiers? just want to double check before I or anyone else as dumb as me (that needs **** spelling out to them specifically) goes ahead and buys something that might already be included in our pledge. I'm 99% sure they aren't the same thing but like i said, just double checking :-

You are correct. This is a strategy guide and is completely different than the Dark Horse Collector's Book. The Collector's Book is the lore and art of the game.

The documentary is no longer being printed. It will just be a download/stream online. To compensate, the documentary will be longer.

AND we'll get spiffy notepads, right? 8D!

This decision by Obsidian/Paradox is very questionable. As others have mentioned before, a dice or anything else really, would be better in my opinion. I tend to agree with Obsidian on most of the matters concerning the development of PoE but notepads? But as I said, it's just my opinion. Maybe I'll fall in love with the notepads cuz they're so super cool.

And regarding Dartbord's question, check out this: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/69663-poe-guidebook-available-for-preorder/page-2. I was baffled also.

Also it says on Amazon about the PoE Prima Official Guide that ""“Thank You” Section— includes the printed names of over 4,000 customers who helped fund the development of the game via Kickstarter.com.  Each of these ‘backers’ will be presented with an offer to buy the guide.""

I'd like to know more about this, maybe the developers could shed some light on the matter.

• Like 1

"Maybe your grandiose vocabulary is a pathetic compensation for an insufficiency in the nether regions of your anatomy."

1. Pillars of Eternity Guidebook Volume One Hardcover – March 24, 2015 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1616558091?pldnSite=1)

2. Pillars of Eternity: Prima Official Game Guide Hardcover – March 26, 2015 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1101898232?ie=UTF8&tag=randohouseinc7974-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1101898232)

4. Digital Collector's Book. (the one in some tiers is the exact digital replica of 3. right?)

I pre-ordered 1. and 2. because I initially thought 'Yay, the collector's book is available on amazon. I'm so happy, because I missed my chance to get the collector's book at the $250 tier'.

Thanks in advance!

Number 1 and 3 are the same, 4 is the digital version of them.

Edited by Lychnidos
  • Like 1

Thanks in advance!

This is correct.

• Like 1

Badler  i apologize for having to repost my question but it seems you haven't seen it (it was quickly buried):

My tier included my name in the thank you section but i pledged trough the website not on kickstarter, now on primaguide wabsite they mentions that only thoses that backed on kickstarter will have their name included. 

Badler  i apologize for having to repost my question but it seems you haven't seen it (it was quickly buried):

My tier included my name in the thank you section but i pledged trough the website not on kickstarter, now on primaguide wabsite they mentions that only thoses that backed on kickstarter will have their name included. 

I can't say for sure but I am pretty confident that your name will be included as I don't see why they would drop backers that used different site than kickstarter to back the game from credit list in book as it will be in in game credits anyway and all the names are in same database.

• Like 1

Thanks in advance!

This is correct.

Thanks a lot for confirming this! :)

This is exceptionally upsetting to me.  So sick and tired of this impatience that is bred in the gaming world.  I do need this cleared up, however.  I paid in for a signed collector's boxed copy (the $250 tier).  Am I actually going to get that with the physical disc later?  Or am I getting a signed box with a cloth map and all the other physical stuff first?  Because the latter is not a signed collector's boxed version of the game, and I want it to be clear that if so, I am not getting what was promised.

I don't understand, what's the difference?

A box full of stuff without the game inside is not a boxed version of the game.  I don't just spend money and not read what I am getting.  They used specific language, and now it sounds like they aren't going to deliver on a pretty big promise for people who went in with more money.

Well when you receive the discs, what you do is you take those discs and you put them in where the discs would normally be had they arrived with the collectors box and voila, a signed collector's boxed version of the game will be there in front of you...........

I would appreciate you not talk down to me.  Obviously, if I wanted to have an open box with the discs, I wouldn't be upset and asking what I'm asking.  I'm not a reseller, either.  I'm getting a digital download as it stands.  I want to have a sealed collector's copy for myself.  Or is that too sentimental?

• Like 1

Why assume that they're even going to seal the box with shrink wrap? The backer Collector's boxes are not being sold at retail.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Why assume that they're even going to seal the box with shrink wrap? The backer Collector's boxes are not being sold at retail.

To avoid minor damages during handling by postal service and protect the content during the shipment?

If not sealed there would be no way of determining if the content was in the box or not if something would be missing.

Edited by Darkpriest
  • Like 1