Update #90: Shipping and Strategy Guide

Update by Brandon Adler, Producery Fellow

Hey, everyone. This is just a quick and dirty update for you on the backer poll we mentioned in our update from last week, some pics of the strategy guide, and news about PAX East. Our next update will come out in the next few weeks when we will discuss how backers can redeem their game from the Backer Portal.

Poll Results

First, we would like to thank all of our backers for taking the time to vote. It is very important to us that you are able to express your choice and voice your opinion about the shipping of rewards.

At close to 75% of the vote, it looks like shipping the physical rewards at the game's release and the game discs at a later date is the winner. This is how we will proceed with the shipping.

We realize that some of our backers have been asking about the possibility of selectively opting out of this choice and instead getting their items shipped to them all at once, multiple weeks after the game's release. We don't have an answer for this right now, but we are discussing the possibility with Paradox. Depending on the logistical realities we may not be able to provide this option, but we will explore the possibility. As for now, everyone will have their physical rewards shipped as soon as possible, and their game discs at a later date.

Prima Games - Collector's Edition Strategy Guide

pe-strategy-guide-580.jpg

We've been hard at work collaborating with Prima Games on the strategy guide for Pillars of Eternity. The folks over at Prima Games are not only working on creating the awesome Digital Guide for you backers, but will also be releasing a beautifully printed copy of the guide. Pillars of Eternity is a big RPG, and Prima Games is working to make sure that every inch of our huge game world is covered. The guide will include:

• Main Quest: A comprehensive walkthrough of the main story.
  • Side Quests and Tasks: An easy reference to all side quests.
  • Atlas: Maps for all critical locations in the vast world of Eora.
  • Training: How to create a character and expertly assign points to attributes and skills.
  • Achievements, Secrets, and exclusive bonuses.

The guide will also feature a Thank You section. If you pledged at a tier that included getting your name in the game's credits, you'll also find yourself featured here! As an added plus, all physical copies of the guide will include an access code for a free digital guide, viewable on any connected device. If you missed out on pledging for the strategy guide, the Collector's Edition Guide is a great option for getting all the tips and tricks you'll need for your journey through Eora.

To preorder the guide, you can head here.

PAX East

pe-pax-east-580.jpg

The Pillars crew will be heading to PAX East to give a panel on March 7th. Josh, Tim, Adam, Chris, Shane, and I will be there to demo and answer questions about the project. If you are going to be there make sure to stop by the Albatross Theatre at 4:30 PM to check it out.

That's it for now. Talk to you folks again when we give instructions on how to redeem your game and rewards.

• Like 12

Woohoo! Only one more month (approximately)! UNABLE TO COMPLETE OPERATIONAL PROTOCOL: WAIT.

:)

Also, I think Prima needs to hire Sensuki. Just sayin', u_u...

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I'm going to assume that this isn't the case but just to quickly clarify, this isn't the same thing as the hardcover collectors book that is included with some of the pledge tiers right? but is in fact just a physical version of the digital guide that is included on some pledge tiers? just want to double check before I or anyone else as dumb as me (that needs **** spelling out to them specifically) goes ahead and buys something that might already be included in our pledge. I'm 99% sure they aren't the same thing but like i said, just double checking :-

Edited by Vorhees
  • Like 1

I'm going to assume that this isn't the case but just to quickly clarify, this isn't the same thing as the hardcover collectors book that is included with some of the pledge tiers right? but is in fact just a physical version of the digital guide that is included on some pledge tiers? just want to double check before I or anyone else as dumb as me (that needs **** spelling out to them specifically) goes ahead and buys something that might already be included in our pledge. I'm 99% sure they aren't the same thing but like i said, just double checking :-

You are correct. This is a strategy guide and is completely different than the Dark Horse Collector's Book. The Collector's Book is the lore and art of the game.

• Like 5

You are correct. This is a strategy guide and is completely different than the Dark Horse Collector's Book. The Collector's Book is the lore and art of the game.

Ok thanks :)

Edited by Vorhees

We realize that some of our backers have been asking about the possibility of selectively opting out of this choice and instead getting their items shipped to them all at once, multiple weeks after the game's release. We don't have an answer for this right now, but we are discussing the possibility with Paradox. Depending on the logistical realities we may not be able to provide this option, but we will explore the possibility. As for now, everyone will have their physical rewards shipped as soon as possible, and their game discs at a later date.

It's great you're taking such attention. I'm a digital-only backer, but I think it's impressive. original.gif

If Prima are making a strategy guide, then what is the "digital strategy guide" that backers will be receiving. Is it the same but in digital version? On amazon the Prima guide shows only as "hardcover" edition.

Edited by Gairnulf

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

At close to 75% of the vote, it looks like shipping the physical rewards at the game's release and the game discs at a later date is the winner. This is how we will proceed with the shipping.

sotd-disappointed.gif

• Like 1

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones." - Ross Scott

It's not that I'm lazy. I just don't care.

According to the amazon sale page, the strategy guide is 400 pages. Either that or false or this guide is really in-depth. 

Also, is this the "collector's book hardcover"?  There seem to be a "digital strategy guide" and a "digital collector's book" which are based from the physical items. 

Ok thanks :)

:)

• Like 1

According to the amazon sale page, the strategy guide is 400 pages. Either that or false or this guide is really in-depth. 

Edit: remove answered question.

Their guides are usually around 400 pages or more. Those that I've seen at least, they've all been for RPGs. So I guess it's normal.

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

Edit: remove answered question.

Their guides are usually around 400 pages or more. Those that I've seen at least, they've all been for RPGs. So I guess it's normal.

Got my "name" somewhere in a hardcover "paper" release of a digital magazine of a different probably well-known kickstarter project, along with thousands of others. I don't think it (those names) will/need to take up that much space. 

I'm just gonna put the mailed package away and open it when the disc arrives. I want the full %100 old school experience of installing from A CD while reading the manual.  It's something that can't happen anymore in the world of modern games so I wanna do it that way.

I won't ever buy physical rewards again because of this though. Too disappointing.  Just my feedback for Obsidian so won't be reading any replies from other backers.

What is the backer equivalent of this book on Amazon?  The 'Collector's Book' or the 'Digital Almanac'?  Or neither...

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/1616558091/

• Like 1

Hopefully the strat guide will have correct info regarding balancing and spell info, etc. Sometimes I see strat guides that have pretty old builds of the game that end up causing more harm than good and you're better off using an online wiki. I'm getting pretty excited though. Is there an estimate when you'll go gold? I think many company's I've followed in the past are typically about 2 weeks prior to ship date when that happens.

Update by Brandon Adler, Producery Fellow

Hey, everyone. This is just a quick and dirty update for you on the backer poll we mentioned in our update from last week, some pics of the strategy guide, and news about PAX East. Our next update will come out in the next few weeks when we will discuss how backers can redeem their game from the Backer Portal.

Poll Results

First, we would like to thank all of our backers for taking the time to vote. It is very important to us that you are able to express your choice and voice your opinion about the shipping of rewards.

This is exceptionally upsetting to me.  So sick and tired of this impatience that is bred in the gaming world.  I do need this cleared up, however.  I paid in for a signed collector's boxed copy (the $250 tier).  Am I actually going to get that with the physical disc later?  Or am I getting a signed box with a cloth map and all the other physical stuff first?  Because the latter is not a signed collector's boxed version of the game, and I want it to be clear that if so, I am not getting what was promised.

Is there "localization" for the guide ?

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ I ' M ★  ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ B L A C K S T A R   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★