Firefox and GPU heating

LadyCrimson

So I installed latest Firefox today and first thing I noticed is the Cisco codec auto-plugin. Got rid of that for the moment, doubt I have a need for it. Then I noticed FF increasing my GPU temp by 20C even when I have it open to nothing but a "blank" page. Used to only do it when playing videos (reasonable). Yes I have the hardware acceleration setting disabled.

Can't figure it out or if I can stop it from happening. Don't like that it's happening. (GPU monitor claims usage is almost non-existent to zero and CPU temps go up a little too but nowhere near as much). I don't think my GPU should be running 60C just to browse a forum/do a websearch.

Anyone else have this w/FF? Is it just the way FF is now? :p

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Do the clock speeds change when you have it open? I'm presuming yes, since I don't see why it would increase the temperature otherwise if there's no activity increase, but just making sure.

(Also, what version of Firefox do you have?)

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I have the exact same problem with Chrome, but only for one specific site: imgur.com.

After going through a couple of pages of imgur, the fans start spinning like crazy on my GPU (it has three of them so it's pretty audible) and the entire page becomes unresponsive and slow as hell. It's really weird and annoying.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

--Don't know about the clock speeds, didn't check that earlier.

--I clean out the case/gpu of dust 2 to 3 times a year, it's pretty clean-ish.

--Firefox 34.0.5 (last one b4 35, which is actually the latest latest, but I like to wait until I can d/l the executable rather than the little installer)

Haven't noticed it personally, but the only obvious thing that comes to mind might be upgrading GPU drivers.

Me to myself: "I don't see how that could be related to the browser, but it has been a few months since I updated nvidia, so what the heck." ... (do so) .... "Well I'll be dipped in ...."

GPU staying at 36C again ... and the weird thing is, now it's staying cool even when playing videos/Netflix, too. I do remember some long long past version of Firefox was when I noticed GPU temps rose during FF-video plays, even w/their hardware acceleration off. I've udpated nvida drivers many times since then and browser-videos still raised GPU temp all this time. So all I can think is that Firefox's hardware acceleration disable function hasn't been working properly (for me) and nvidia finally did something that changed that? (I made sure it was disabled looking at the about:config settings, btw) (edit: or the other way around - nvidia's drivers didn't recognize it properly for ages...)

Anyway, thanks Humanoid, GPU driver wouldn't have occurred to me as a fix at all.

Note to self: video drivers should now be updated when anything weird is going on with anything, not just video games...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

That seems more like nvidia's fault, especially considering you said it was going to full clock speeds (I'm presuming that's what it was doing, since there's no other explanation for it gaining more heat) while watching videos, which isn't *usually* normal behavior - at least with even sort of new GPUs (I would say anything released in the last 5 years). It should only go to max clock speeds for 3D graphic displays, and none of that is 3D. An unusual problem.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I have GPU temps showing r-side of the taskbar with the clock and such. Habit from playing games and doing video rendering during heat waves...

i had a bsod about 30 minutes ago. while opening an incognito window of chrome while a normal was open (done it hundreds of times with no problem). highest temp at that moment was the CPU at 35C. i suspect that my HDD may be involved, it is rather old

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Not about over-heating but don't want to make a new topic just for it...

...anyone know of a way to get rid of the back/forward/reload icon buttons in the r-click menu?

ffannoyance122.jpg

Not about over-heating but don't want to make a new topic just for it...

...anyone know of a way to get rid of the back/forward/reload icon buttons in the r-click menu?

ffannoyance122.jpg

You can make right-click menu look like it was in previous versions by copying following css code to your firefix profiles userChrome.css

#context-back image,
#context-forward image,
#context-reload image,
#context-stop image,
#context-bookmarkpage image{
   display:none !important;
}

#context-back:before,
#context-forward:before,
#context-reload:before,
#context-stop:before,
#context-bookmarkpage:before{
   content: attr(aria-label) !important;
  -moz-margin-start:32px !important;
}
#context-navigation{
   -moz-box-orient: vertical !important;
}
#context-navigation > .menuitem-iconic {
  -moz-box-pack: start !important;
}

If you don't know what userChrome.css is, then look this page first http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.php?title=UserChrome.css

EDIT: for some reason it loads error page for me when I click link so if it does same then here is URL as whole and it should work at least when you copy paste it to address bar

http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.php?title=UserChrome.css

Easiest way to find Firefox's profiles in windows is to search %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles (windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8[.1]) 

In profiles folder there should be folder named xxxxxxx.default  (x are random characters), where you can find chrome folder where you should create userChrome.css file or edit existing one if one exist already (you can just paste above code in end of file if one exist)

Edited by Elerond

• 3 months later...

I think y'all are forgetting what a modern GPU actually is: A stream processor or, massively parallel single instruction multiple data floating point ALU. Programmers are finally breaking out of the legacy mold and starting to see the GPU as something used only for CAD and gaming. If they're offloading something to your GPU then it is because either the compiler, or the runtime VM seems to think that it will run more efficiently there. Additionally, with the growth of languages like Haskell, F#, Golang and now Swift, it will become more commonplace. Don't discourage the attempts CS engineers at making better use of your hardware.

https://helgeklein.com/blog/2014/12/impact-gpu-acceleration-browser-cpu-usage/

If something is firing up your CUDA cores, its probably calling one of the API's that use it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenCL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebCL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebGL

Edited by Luridis

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.