The Funny Things thread

LadyCrimson

I'd wager sometime around '94 (the year the F-14D was introduced) to 2000 when a lot of Tomcat pilots were converting to multi-role pilots.

Might I ask what you were laughing about in 2006? :biggrin:

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

quite subbtle this one

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Pretty much ECE115 practices taken a bit further here.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Katanas & Trenchcoats

This RPG by Ryan Macklin and a host of co-conspirators takes every trope from your angsty high school and college role-playing games and uses them to build a monument to dark badassery. Players play immortals who can only be killed via beheading by another immortal, and character creation is largely focused on coming up with a backstory that is both tragic and badass enough to get you laid. In fact, getting laid is pretty central to Katanas & Trenchcoats, as it was when you were going through the katana/trenchcoat phase of your life. As we all did, even if we quietly internalized it and just read lots of Wolverine comics and muttered "snikt" sub-audibly whenever someone pissed us off. Check out the inspirational YouTube playlist they made (which I might have contributed a few songs to). And yes, the game's official site is SoManyKatanas.com.

While the idea is hilarious, there's a real, functional, solidly fun gaming system going on here that actually provides a good framework for playing ridiculous, brooding adventures in which pretty much everyone is imagining themselves as Brandon Lee in black leather. There's even an exploding dice mechanic, where if you roll three zeroes on your d10s (RPG veterans are expecting something cleverly mathematical here), the Storymaster gets to make something in the scene explode while you broodingly walk away.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

"Ok, so if I got this right, everyone here taking the newbie course got introduced to MHI by surviving an attack of some sort. One hell of an audition, we all agree."

He looked around the bunkhouse at the his fellow newbies, "I only bring it up becaus
e we've all talked about ours and heard about our instructors. The only person who hasn't said anything is Larry."

Twelve and a half pairs of eyes turned to look at Larry.

"It was a llama alright!" Larry yelled, "a goddamn werellama. And I don't want to talk about it."

Everyone in the room stopped, faces frozen in identical expressions of wanting to ask while being scared as hell to ask. This became known as the Larry Effect.

Heh. Snippets from authors that amuse...

"So that is the reason for the First Reason," Castro said. "That's the reason we have to threaten people, defame, kill them to keep this from becoming common-place. And we'll keep on doing that til hell freezes over, the second coming or God Himself tells us not to. Because much as we hate our job, the alternative is worse."
"And we are very good at covering it up," Higgins said.
"Best way to lie is to tell the truth badly," I quoted. "I have to ask. Monster movies."
"Wes Craven is one of the best agents in the history of MCB," Castro said.
"Wait," I said, shaking my head. "Wes Craven is a…"
"That would be Special Agent Craven to you, Marine," Higgins said, laughing. "F*****'s a legend in the MCB."
"Head of our Hollywood division," Castro said. "Trained him myself."