The Kickstarter Thread

CoM_Solaufein

The next chapter of Consortium is now live on KS

I enjoyed the first part so I'm going to back this but not at a high level

This passed weekend Consortium was free to own on Steam to promote it too. It had been on my wishlist for a while to so that was nice

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Building is the cornerstone of Planet Nomads. We are perfecting a system that lets you build complex machines big and small. Use powerful generators or batteries paired with solar panels to power your scouting buggies or armored transporters equipped with mining tools. Outfit your vehicles and structures with weaponry.

I don't think I've seen a single one of these games to come out of development hell. Oh, sorry, I mean Early Access. Edited by Fenixp

Building is the cornerstone of Planet Nomads. We are perfecting a system that lets you build complex machines big and small. Use powerful generators or batteries paired with solar panels to power your scouting buggies or armored transporters equipped with mining tools. Outfit your vehicles and structures with weaponry.

I don't think I've seen a single one of these games to come out of development hell. Oh, sorry, I mean Early Access.

That would make them quite accurate models of real world military procurement then ;)

*Crafting* seems to be the current fad in games design, if i wanted to build a custom pixelated world I'd borrow my nephew's Lego…

EDIY: typo

Edited by HawkSoft

This looks interesting:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2043603103/planet-nomads

And looks way more realistic (as a game that can be done) than this other thing, No Mans Sky or whatev the name was.

I think I own that game, kickstarted it back in the day.  I may have played about 20 minutes of it one time.   :p

edit:  Checked, it was Planet Explorers.  Which seems somewhat similar.  

Edited by Hurlshot

looks too much like Space Engineers

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

This passed weekend Consortium was free to own on Steam to promote it too. It had been on my wishlist for a while to so that was nice

Anyone who liked Consortium should sign up for their Thunderclap campaign - their kickstarter needs the boost. NB Thunderclap does let you customise the message when you click Support, so you're not stuck with their wording; just keep the hashtag and url, and it just takes a few seconds to do. Their Diplomacy and the Spoken Word update is worth a look if you're not convinced yet.

Nebula: Sole Survivor is a sci-fi Action RPG currently on Kickstarter.  Features a female protagonist with voice acting and very nice graphics for an indie game.  There is a downloadable beta demo to try.  I'm normally not a big fan of shooter / action RPGs, but this looks good.  And the digital copy tier is only $12 CAD (~$9 USD).  

Thanks for the link. I'll try it, but given that the sequel has raised less than a third of the goal with only a week to go, I kind of doubt they'll get anywhere whether I back them or not.

Another way of looking at it is it needs to make US$216k in a week, which is less than 15% of what Project Eternity made in its last week. Not a ridiculous amount, it just needs exposure.

• Like 1

That is true, but it's not about the absolute amount, it's about the trend. I've seen a variety of Kickstarter projects. Project Eternity went about as well as such a thing can go: it hit the goal within a day or two of the beginning, then there was a slow decline in contributions up until near the end of the project at which point it picked up close to (but not quite) the same amount as in the beginning. There are quite a few such projects, usually by famous companies or individuals. Less famous projects which are still successful usually either trend towards the goal linearly or pick up a substantial amount (around half) in the beginning, then experience the same slowdown (adjusted for the fact that they started lower) as Project Eternity and then reach the goal and then some on the final spike. Consortium: The Tower doesn't satisfy any of these -- it's only a third of the way to the goal after more than three quarters of the allotted time. I'm not saying it can't get there, but there needs to be some game-changer for that to happen.

In any case, I've backed Consortium: The Tower and also Planet Nomads, mainly because I think the latter would make a good test case for a VR rig which I plan to set up by the time it is released.

Oh well, I put the 18 bucks down for the early bird tier with only the game but I sure hope the humor in it turns out to be better than the somewhat boring video. The concept looks great, but I've always had a soft spot for side scrollers. Kinda grew up with them, although I'm sure that on lonely nights my parents still cry over the lost money that I "invested" at the arade. :biggrin:

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

• 1 month later...

Crowd funding to start anew this week on Fig

We’ve got some exciting news for you all: a release date for the Fig Campaign for The Tower! We’ve been putting in some long hours getting the page and tech ready for the launch, which will be on Wednesday, April 6th. That’s right, two days away!

Free games updated 3/4/21

I think Obsidian's next will likely be the first Fig game I back, unless inXile does Wasteland 3 or something original.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Does Fig even work? For me it felt more like a pipedream.

Does it work as a crowdfunding plattform? Apparently, otherwise they would not have been able to raise 3.8m dollars for Psychonauts 2 - which after all is a Double Fine game and people are kind of rightfully sceptical when it comes to Tim Schafer and crowdfunding. If it actually works for investors, well, no idea. Nothing on there has been released yet so there's no indication. Some posts indicate that there never was any shortage of investors but that may just as well have been exaggerated by the Fig staff.

I'm thinking of trying the unaccredited investor option at some point, most likely with an inXile or Obsidian title should there be one. :)

Interesting, Fig now displays the proportion between investments and crowdfunding pledges on their campaign funding progress bar. Psychonauts 2 was the only game with an almost equal share between the two, every other campaign (whether successful or not) was much more popular with investors than with crowdfunders.

Results might also be a bit skewed because Double Fine's Psychonauts 2 campaign was top notch with all the backer games, constant updates and social media attention while the others really were kind of... lame.

Looks like Fig's information about not having any shortage of investors is true after all.

Oh, and of course, the Consortium campaign is now up. I apparently have three pledge discounts to give away for anyone who is interested in the 50$ or higher tiers. PM me if you want one.