Diet and exercise alone are no cure for obesity, experts say

Meshugger

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-eat-less-more-obesity-20150212-story.html

"We all want a fix for obesity, a cure for it," Ochner said. But "eat less, move more" is not it, he said. 

Welp, like the great philosopher of our time, Homer, said: "Trying is the first step to failure."

• Like 5

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

5kg? That's how you debunk this? Pal, I lose 5kg taking a dump.

TN confirmed for being full of ****.

I lost 30 pounds through diet and exercise. It's quite difficult to stay with it, particularly if you have a demanding job and/or studies, but it can be done.

• Like 9

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Maybe we shouldn't call fit people "normal" anymore, thanks to this study. Maybe they should "Massly challenged" or with the medical term "Chronic mass deficiancy disorder". But also please remember that we must not judge.

As a normal guy, i hereby come out of the fit closet. Please be nice.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Maybe we shouldn't call fit people "normal" anymore, thanks to this study. Maybe they should "Massly challenged" or with the medical term "Chronic mass deficiancy disorder". But also please remember that we must not judge.

As a normal guy, i hereby come out of the fit closet. Please be nice.

Fitism = Power + Prejudice

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Haha, now that's a comeback, KaineParker. Gave me a good laugh.

Okay, so I was obviously exaggerating but some days I'm 2-3 kg lighter or heavier than I was the day before without having done anything different. I'd hate to mess with peoples hard work, but 5 kg is kinda peanuts as far as I'm concerned. I'm a skinny guy, though, so hey, maybe that just goes to prove the idea that fat just gets stamped on your DNA and it gets harder to lose it?

Now my ladyfriend lost over 20 kg pretty quickly by changing her diet. She was diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome and dropped milk, gluten, onions, alchohol and a couple of other things that triggered it and about one and a half year later she's stable at almost 25 kg less. On the other hand, it's made cooking so boring!

Yeah, changing your diet like that can show a huge change. I had to work out twice a day and keep most of my meals healthy to drop about half that in 6 months.

Considering these "experts" mention surgery, I'm going to guess they aren't generally talking about people who need to lose 10-20 pounds. More like 60-100+ and at that point for a few to several years at least, with several serious failed attempts to lose. I highly doubt any ethical doc. is going to recommend something major like gastric bypass surgery as the only way to get/keep the weight off to someone who wants to lose a minimal amount of weight.

While it may be true there is some kind of cellular or hormonal or whatever memory that makes it harder to take weight off once you've gained it, the main thing for most non-morbidly obese is actually sticking to diet/exercise changes forever. Forever can be a scary word to some. Drinking Slim-Fast and eating Jenny Craig  isn't exactly something most people should/are going to stick with, but many keep doing those things vs. real changes, because they're not actually committed to changing lifestyle habits forever. They just want to look good this summer.

• Like 3
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm going to be a bit of a scold here and point out that the article doesn't come across half so bad if you haven't been primed to interpret it as such by the headline and the OP's out-of-context summation quote. Ochner acknowledges in the article that patient behavioral modification is a necessary part of the process and most of his criticism is actually about best clinician practices rather than what patients should be doing at home. And within that context he's on point--some medical professionals are unfortunately far too quick to declare that they led the horse to water but that they just wouldn't drink. Which, is too bad, because sometimes that "horse" actually has a pretty serious endocrine condition. :p

Edited by Whipstitch
  • Like 1

Sounds to me like "research" made by people overly concerned with not insulting other peoples feelings.

Why take responsibility for something if you don't have to?

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

Sounds to me like "research" made by people overly concerned with not insulting other peoples feelings.

Perhaps. I'd wager the researchers are pushing pills, surgery, or something else that can make them (and/or whomever funded the study) $$$ though.

Exercise and a good diet indeed does work for the vast majority of folks out there who actually do stick to a good regimen of both.

• Like 2

Perhaps. I'd wager the researchers are pushing pills, surgery, or something else that can make them (and/or whomever funded the study) $$$ though.

Exercise and a good diet indeed does work for the vast majority of folks out there who actually do stick to a good regimen of both.

Always follow the money.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

This guy speaks the truth! For guaranteed weight loss success Dr. Woldan recommends to take fat burning to the next level. The literal level. 

With a flame thrower? :o

Lava baths and lotions. 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Or they define obesity as some kind of obscure medical factor rather than "pudgy due to inactivity". 

• Like 2

Fortune favors the bald.

There has been this weird backlash going on against fit people lately though, like that mom who had the no excuses campaign. The whole fat shaming thing makes no sense to me. If you see someone super fit and you feel bad about it, that is your conscience working correctly.

• Like 2

There has been this weird backlash going on against fit people lately though, like that mom who had the no excuses campaign. The whole fat shaming thing makes no sense to me. If you see someone super fit and you feel bad about it, that is your conscience working correctly.

On the contrary, it just means that they haven't accepted Satan as their lord and saviour yet. The process simple:

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I think you fitters should check your privilege. Stop fat shaming, you reactionary bigots.

• Like 1

I don't know if that's really "working correctly" because "feeling bad about it" can take so many forms. I highly doubt a person whose psychological response to seeing a fit person is "you'll never look like that, go die in a hole you fat pig" is going to be motivating, let alone the "correct response".

• Like 1

I know, right? It's terrible. The other day I was walking down the street when some overweight person started poking me in the ribs and started making healthy person jibes.

And the worst thing was, he was only slightly overweight! I bet he was almost as healthy and fit as me. :(

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.