The box art for this game - am I dreaming?

Grotesque

920e8780e54ccc931b897ce3c11ffcbc.jpg

Is this all Obsidian managed to pull off in regards of designing proper box cover art for this game? Rehashing an old and obsolete (it even has Cadegund etc) wallpaper instead of bringing something new to the table? Even the manual has a more appropriate simple and elegant design than this!

Please tell me that the Collector's Edition will not even remotely have something similar as box art design.

And all those pink/fuchsia shades...

Somebody wake me up!

• Like 3

After my realization that White March has the same XP reward problem, I don't even have the drive to launch game anymore because I hated so much reaching Twin Elms with a level cap in vanilla PoE that I don't wish to relive that experience.

pe-ce-box.jpg

Found it.

The nightmare is over.

Edited by Grotesque
  • Like 1

After my realization that White March has the same XP reward problem, I don't even have the drive to launch game anymore because I hated so much reaching Twin Elms with a level cap in vanilla PoE that I don't wish to relive that experience.

I actually like the color composition of the box art.

But considering all the IE games except Torment had "skeuomorphic" box art, the Codex Infiniticus is pretty clear on what type of box art P:E should have, like the CE.

• Like 2

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

I think you're being a little critical mate. I'd rather they work on the actual game than design new box art.

Barbie's seal of approval on you train of thought and design choice

• Like 1

I rather like that art reminds me of some PNP books.

Whether or not the characters depicted are actually in the game is irrelevant. After all if you want to make a party as depicted it's completely possible just make your PC like one of them and visit the adventurers hall...

• Like 2

I think for the non-backer retail, putting that art on the box was a good idea marketing wise, as it kind of gives you a better idea of the type of game it is just by looking at the box.

Although of course, I prefer the CE by a country mile (and I hope that it goes with the other BG boxes on my wall).

• Like 1

it's better to make some box art that is intriguing and use the concept of souls channeled by some adra pillars than dumping an old ass wallpaper depicting warriors attacked by zombies, like advertising a plastic sword toy 

lalalala.png

Gone are the days of gamebox cover flaps where you could dump all the visual goodies there for marketing and help keep the box art classy. :)

Edited by Grotesque
  • Like 1

The back of a box is for explaining what the game is about. The front of the box only has to look stylish. I think this design looks neither attractive nor sufficiently infinity-ish. Then again, I don't care much.

The CE is fine (though I've never been much of a fan of the logo; it's too bold and 3D, like a fridge magnet).

Edit for Obsidian: I'd like a PE fridge magnet, please.

Edited by Barleypaper

I like it.

But of course I had to skip a box and go digital due to the high shipping costs...

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Is that 16 PEGI rating for real?

It's the ESRB M equivalent for Europe

Edited by Grotesque

I don't think this design was made by Obsudian. It's Cenega, polish publisher, design and this is a picture of polish retail version.

http://buy.pillarsofeternity.com/

it's on the official page

our first reaction were to be dismissive? box art? however, if we had paid for physical goods, am betting we would expect more than a usps envelope with a cd case dropped into it. if you pay for something extra, then you got some justification to complain if the extras is not worthy o' the price.

that being said, box art?

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I like the box art, and I like that particular painting. But yeah, it does seem weird to use it considering that Cadegund (and Forton?) aren't in the game at the moment.

Then again, doesn't really matter much and most people won't really care about that.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Hey, everyone. This is likely what will go out in Poland. Each region/country has their own box art based on what Paradox thought would sell for each region. Obsidian does have approval/review over the pieces, but unless there are big issues we see, we usually defer to Paradox's experience with foreign markets.

Obsidian was responsible for the stuff that the backers are getting (the backer Collector's Editions, for example).

• Like 9

Obsidian was responsible for the stuff that the backers are getting (the backer Collector's Editions, for example).

Thank God!

Brandon, could you confirm the backer Collector's Edition will look like the mock-up on the Kickstarter page?

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

our first reaction were to be dismissive? box art? however, if we had paid for physical goods, am betting we would expect more than a usps envelope with a cd case dropped into it. if you pay for something extra, then you got some justification to complain if the extras is not worthy o' the price.

that being said, box art?

HA! Good Fun!

Your first reaction is the most apt here. Because I'd like to think that I paid for the development of the game, and not for whatever physical goods my chosen tier gets me.

It's better that way. Otherwise I get struck by the reality that I overpaid.

Edited by Stun

Each region/country has their own box art based on what Paradox thought would sell for each region.

Is there some URL where we can take a gander at the different localisations? I don't really care about the physical goods (barely even have a dvd drive in my desktop), I'm just curious about which region gets what. (I.e. see what my region gets and see which region I think is kallisti.)

Fnord.

Hey, everyone. This is likely what will go out in Poland. Each region/country has their own box art based on what Paradox thought would sell for each region. Obsidian does have approval/review over the pieces, but unless there are big issues we see, we usually defer to Paradox's experience with foreign markets.

I was about to say I don't see what's wrong with the box art. It's very logical - the edition that's to be sold to people who have recently learned about the game is in bright violet and features fantasy characters in combat. The version that will be sold to people who are more likely to know what the game is about (Collector's edition) has a nostalgic cover art in line with the IE games, and doesn't need to communicate in detail what the game is about. Very neat move by Paradox, imo.

Edited by Gairnulf
  • Like 2

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png