I can have a peek on the beta?

Sanquiz

When Wasteland 2 was about to release the beta keys where send to everyone, when the game come out the beta transform into the final game, i know the beta is not the game and is possible that before pre-load the final data all the beta content will be deleted.

I just want to know if i can play a little the beta before the game come out.

Edited by Arturo Sanquiz

Yes i know, my english sux.

When Wasteland 2 was about to release the beta keys where send to everyone, when the game come out the beta transform into the final game, i know the beta is not the game and is possible that before pre-load the final data all the beta content will be deleted.

They have made no indication that would lead me to believe they will make the beta available to anyone who doesn't already have access to it prior to release.  Also the backer beta is not the game, it is just a beta.  I doubt it will self delete from steam but it will never "turn into the whole game".

They have made no indication that would lead me to believe they will make the beta available to anyone who doesn't already have access to it prior to release.  Also the backer beta is not the game, it is just a beta.  I doubt it will self delete from steam but it will never "turn into the whole game".

I don't know why people are expecting beta to be pre-game demos. I know some companies did it *cough*diablo 3*cough, but it wasn't for testing purpose. It was glorified to create hype around the game. They didn't want customers feedback and its shows. Sorry for the little rant but for me, I deem it as the greatest failure in recent years. 

Back to topic, I suppose they can create a actual demo (Final build of the game), if it helps promote it.

Edited by ryukenden
  • Like 2

I don't know why people are expecting beta to be pre-game demos. I know some companies did it *cough*diablo 3*cough, but it wasn't for testing purpose. It was glorified to create hype around the game. They didn't want customers feedback and its shows. Sorry for the little rant but for me, I deem it as the greatest failure in recent years. 

Back to topic, I suppose they can create a actual demo (Final build of the game), if it helps promote it.

I have participated in 5 Blizzard betas and they have all been extremely polished and many (all?) of them have been the latest build, and content complete.  I do think they gain a marketing advantage with this approach (especially back in 2004 with the WoW beta), but they also seem to utilize the massive feedback sample size they get effectively.  Diablo 3, in retrospect, and with respect to Blizzard betas, seems to be the exception because that game changed a ton post-release.

It is becoming increasingly common that Betas aren't actually Betas, but early access-type deals intended to create hype, which often backfires because the interest for the game peters out before the game is even fully released, or gets criticism from knuckledraggers that have no understanding for the fact that it's unfinished, and accumulates a bad reputation.

Companies should be more careful with this, but there are also certain expectations these days, no matter how ridiculous, and this idiocy has been fuelled by Steam's "Early Access" program.

• Like 2

t50aJUd.jpg

PoE's backer beta and final game are separate steam products, that use different product keys, so I don't see that Obsidian will in this point give keys for beta for those who didn't bought it, as in my understanding they will delete beta from steam when they release the full game.

• Like 1

i have no access to the BB and it's true that i would love to try it. But, it seems that OSX and Linux backers could enjoy it only a few weeks ago. So, i feel it would not be fair toward these early backers that everyone could try it right now. Maybe some of them don't care, maybe some do and would complain about it.

What they could do is, at this point, offer free beta access on any new pre-orders, etc. They could still have their reasons to not do that, though, of course.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

What they could do is, at this point, offer free beta access on any new pre-orders, etc. They could still have their reasons to not do that, though, of course.

Yeah I wouldn't mind if they gave a backer beta key to all preorders at this point, why not?  But at the same time... game releases in like 1 month and 1 week?  Surely those who have held off this long on finding a way into the backer beta can wait that much longer for the real release?

Well, if they are to give a key to all preorders, then it would be cool to give them to the backers that backed the game after the kickstarter, too (like me :)). True that there is no really point to do this anyway, since the feedback we would give would come too late to be usefull. Still, all these posts, videos, images, make me want to try it. But the Linux and MAC beta came out a few time ago. Maybe some of these backers wouldn't agree.

i have no access to the BB and it's true that i would love to try it. But, it seems that OSX and Linux backers could enjoy it only a few weeks ago. So, i feel it would not be fair toward these early backers that everyone could try it right now. Maybe some of them don't care, maybe some do and would complain about it.

You can still get a key. I recently just purchased two beta keys for two forum members this week.

• Like 1

Aye, a good solid demo like the days of old! If I recall, both BG I and II had demos, and were the very reasons I convinced friends to get both games to play online.

Yeah, i've had a look, you can't purchase a beta anymore if you didn't purchased one earlier as a backer. And i didn't. But after some more thinking, i somewhat feel that since the beta end is jut 1 month away, it could not be a great idea to dive into it now (and with a useless feedback). A first dive in the full game rather than just the beta have to be way more cool, just have to be patient, and it's kinda hard these days :D. Big thanks Sensuki, but i've decided to be strong! and enjoy the whole game in my first try ;)