The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [2015]

Pidesco

That was an awesome cutscene, though, when Lambert and Geralt (and that other guy that you only get if you made a specific decision) were fighting together.  The teamwork and swordsmanship was fun to watch on display.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Yes angry and worse, I think all of the Witchers are extremely flawed as characters though, Geralt himself being no exception. Eskel seems to be the only one who's quite...normal, for wont of a better word.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I'm one of the minority who seems to like the Geralt character.  Or should I say, I don't mind him nor do I mind playing as him.

I also don't think this particular game and story could be played with any random character.  I think Geralt's past history with Ciri makes it a perfect fit for him being the protagonist.  The majority of the sidequests, and even the stuff to do with the Niilfgaard/Redania conflict might have been okay with any other random character (though Geralt's the only Witcher that seems to go out of his way to get involved in politics despite saying he hates it), but the main quest, IMO, was a perfect fit for Geralt to be the leading man.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Minority? I think the ones who don't like Geralt are the minority.

Except for maybe Dandelion in a spy rpg I don't want to play anyone other than Geralt.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I'm quite fond of Geralt myself, and like him for his flaws, his temper, his brooding etcetera. Then again I like the Dashiell Hammett archetype that he is based upon, the hard boiled Sam Spade or other Noirish protagonist. I'd still have preferred to play as Letho however, as he's a far more interesting character in my opinion.

Criticism: I need a shipwright to repair my boats, and perhaps use of the Aard sign when launching to set the boat on its way, the outboard motor response is way too dissonant.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I would venture to say that most people like him. Indeed one of the criticisms often levelled is that he's too much of the stereotypical gruff, gravelly-voiced protagonists of, y'know, almost every AAA game out there. Don't know how much of that is CDPR and how much is Sapkowski, though at least there are relatively (compared to the older games) frequent moments of levity where he does drop that demeanour for a bit. Be interesting what they do with the next Witcher protagonist, be it Ciri or someone else.

I haven't come across a truly badly mischaracterised major NPC yet, which is good, I'd be happy playing any of the "good guys" shown thus far. Dandelion probably crosses the line for some people, and fair enough, but I haven't seen a Miranda-type character who it seems the writers expect us to like but we end up hating.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Other than Ciri, I can't see another possible Witcher character as the PC without moving the timeline way into the future or way in the past without risking contradicting lore from this series.  All the talk in the game is how it's been a while since new Witchers were trained, and Kaer Moren (sp) isn't going to be training new ones anytime soon.  So other than existing characters, who'd be a new protagonist without contradicting that?

Well I see two solutions:

One, make a game set in the Witcher world, inspired by the novels but with a different protagonist, a sorcerer or sorceress (may be too overpowered,) a Special Forces member, a Scoiatael commando, a Dwarven mercenary, an Order Templar or whatever. Some may object to not playing the titular character, however i'd say the world and the characters in it are rich enough to warrant their own series if it's made well enough.

Two, use a Witcher from another school, Cat, Bear, Viper or a newly created school. Ciri would definitely be overpowered as a protagonist in my opinion, she has almost an unlimited power over time and space, however with far off exotic schools free to be made one could even see female Witchers.

Edit: Whichever it is however I think CDPR really need to work on their RPG systems, make a cohesive ruleset that fits the setting, and affects and is affected by the gameworld. With a high enough level cap to not have each game resetting the protagonist.

Edited by Nonek

Tea for the teapot!

That's one of the reasons I don't want to play as Ciri going forward.  By the end of the game, she's just too overpowered.

Do those other Witcher schools still exist?  Wasn't one of Letho's reasons for doing what he did in TW2 because Niilfgaard had promised to re-start his school, but likely went back on their word based on stuff in TW3?

Not much is known about the other schools really, except for Cat which consists of psycopaths who were cast out of Kaer Morhen. I'd say that the ideal method would be to make ones own.

Edit: I was really surprised by Emhyr turning against Letho, he was such a useful tool, one explanation might be that Emhyr will reform the school, but with new masters and patronage under the Emperors thumb. Sweep all of the past away. There is also Gerd of the Bear school on Skellige, of which we know nothing about except for a quest or two on the isles. 

Speculation on other possible Witcher schools on the CDPR forums: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/29485-Witcher-Schools-Fan-Edition

Edited by Nonek

Tea for the teapot!

It would be interesting to see what kind of conflict would be the central theme of any Witcher game without Geralt as the leading man.  The Wild Hunt stuff was personal for Geralt, and the game makes it clear that Witchers usually don't get involved in politics or kingdoms fighting, so the stuff in TW2 and TW3 wouldn't fit with other Witchers.

TW1's story could work with any Witcher, though, for the most part.  Tracking down individuals who stole from their Witcher school's stronghold, etc.

Ciri tells Geralt about a world with people with metal in their heads and flying machines. Cyberpunk reference? Will she make a cameo in the game?

I figured it was just an "Easter egg" reference to our world, but you could be right about it hinting at the upcoming Cyberpunk game.

Just completed the DRM quest, quite well implemented really, I expected it to be a lot more clumsy. These little sidequests are really of the most fantastic quality.

Tea for the teapot!

I just finished the part where Geralt shares a night of drinks with his fellow Witchers. Laughed pretty hard. I actually thought the game was coming to a conclusion, but was pleasantly surprised when it kept going. About 95 hours in and still loving it.

Storywise, I wouldn't mind a game with Ciri as the protagonist. CDP doesn't seem to have a problem with knocking back a character's power level at the start of a new game. Geralt is constantly starting at level one with basic gear despite collecting powerful items in previous games. Substitute witcher signs and potions with magical abilities and it'll be good I think. 

I really can't praise this game enough: excellent side quests, good humor, great characterization, rich, beautiful and detailed game world, Novigrad. I love Novigrad. Best city in an RPG in recent memory. Can't wait for the two planned expansions.

I wish one of the future free DLCs was wolf school gear. I kept expecting it to pop up, but never did. 

• Like 2

I want to play as Vernon Roche, who I have an irrational fondness for. Instead of magical Signs, which he obviously wouldn't be able to cast, you should be able to select from multiple taunts, curses and other general profanity which would function in a similar way.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I want to play as Dandelion.  They can go back to just using those sex trading cards, since every quest of his will just be about bedding various women, then escaping from the situation when their angry husbands come calling.

To be honest, I wouldn't have minded if the game had no combat at all and all you did was travel from place to place and played Gwent. It's so much fun to try to build your deck and find new opponents to beat.

I've played for 100+ hours and yesterday I finally went to Skellige for the first time. It was a whole new world and a whole lot more Gwent opponents. Woo!

Btw, now I understand why that level 26 High Stakes Gwent quest was so hard.. I have basically doubled my deck strength since then. I think you were supposed to enter that tournament a bit later than I did.

Oh, and my favourite character so far has been Corrine Tilly. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I wish one of the future free DLCs was wolf school gear. I kept expecting it to pop up, but never did.

https://twitter.com/witchergame/status/610492082164097024

That's an interesting outfit for Triss.

• Like 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

https://twitter.com/witchergame/status/610492082164097024

That's an interesting outfit for Triss.

That's awesome.

I hope it's high level though.  It would kind of suck if the wolf school gear is made irrelevant by mid-game.

I'm never going to finish this blasted game. I wouldn't mind playing as Djikstra however, if there was a non Witcher focused sequel.

Edited by Nonek

Tea for the teapot!

I'm never going to finish this blasted game. I wouldn't mind playing as Djikstra however, if there was a non Witcher focused sequel.

Kind of hard to play as Djikstra after my game. ;)