The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [2015]

Pidesco

I think that's a safe assumption. Not sure how they're defining that though? 30fps?

As the epitome of the German computer gaming magazine proponents of the PC master race (sorry, I can never really resist taking a jab at the dolts working there), in the past PC Games generally defined flüssig - which means, among other things, fluid, liquid, flowing and and which in this case should be indeed contextually translated as smooth -  as having a lower bound of 60fps, not 30fps and they routinely call bullcrap whenever someone says that 30fps is enough for a, well, flüssige gaming experience.

As you already figured out the gist of the article is that you should be fine on Full HD with Ultra details if you have a quad core CPU clocking in at 3 GHz and a graphics card with at least 2GB provided you don't use the Hairworks feature, which, as they explicitely stated, kills game performance even with nVidia boards on their high-end system whenever the game shows a close-up of Geralt's head or more than a few monsters using Hairworks on screen.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

L0L All the butthurt SJWs. Heh. That said, it's too bad that this game likely sucks like the other two Twitchers. The Drizzt wannabe (more butthurt incoming by fanboys) is such a boring and one dimensional protag and the setting is so desperate to be dark it lacks depth or nuance.  It's sad the best thing one can say about the a game is that it  showcases beautiful women.

Also, I bet all the people whininga bout all the murdered women likely ignore the probable fact how men are also terrorized and killed in the game... because, you know why? Men don't matter and SJWs see women as weak children to be babied and rescued. LMAO

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

When they say liquid do they mean smooth? Or am I thinkking of something else?

Fluid, yes.

What I found most reassuring was this:

The Witcher 3 was even liquid when the CPU under overclocked to 2.0GHz and hyperthreading has been disabled

Up until, like, just now, my only worry was that my CPU would be my bottleneck. Because I've recently upgraded everything else on my computer. (I've got a GTX 970, 12 gigs of Ram etc). But my CPU is still a fossil from 2010. It's a 6 core Athelon Phenom 2.0 Gig.

But apparently, this article is telling me that the game will run fine on my system. sweet.

Edited by Stun

L0L All the butthurt SJWs. Heh. That said, it's too bad that this game likely sucks like the other two Twitchers. The Drizzt wannabe (more butthurt incoming by fanboys) is such a boring and one dimensional protag and the setting is so desperate to be dark it lacks depth or nuance.  It's sad the best thing one can say about the a game is that it  showcases beautiful women.

Also, I bet all the people whininga bout all the murdered women likely ignore the probable fact how men are also terrorized and killed in the game... because, you know why? Men don't matter and SJWs see women as weak children to be babied and rescued. LMAO

LMAO @ at your butthurt tears that a game you don't like might be good.

• Like 1

It's sad the best thing one can say about the a game is that it  showcases beautiful women.

One who didn't play the actual games and only saw Triss's naked pictures on the internet might say that. But one who did can say a lot more than that.

indeed... The witcher did not have anything an rpg needs like

intresting characters

quests that could alter by little or much the course of the main story

hard combat where you had to use every trick in the book to get on top of each situation

a world that reacted to your actions

a main vilain with such a deep backstory that left you wondering if he was ever a vilain to begin with

dialogue without the blue=good red=evil answers

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

LMAO @ at your butthurt tears that a game you don't like might be good.

Yeah Volo probably loved the game but because he has been criticizing it for ages now he has to pretend its not good....sorry Volo but you created the situation for yourself :biggrin:  

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

"One who didn't play the actual games"

L0L

"indeed... The witcher did not have anything an rpg needs like

intresting characters

hard combat where you had to use every trick in the book to get on top of each situation

a main vilain with such a deep backstory that left you wondering if he was ever a vilain to begin with

dialogue without the blue=good red=evil answers"

Double L0L

"Yeah Volo probably loved the game but because he has been criticizing it for ages now he has to pretend its not good....sorry Volo but you created the situation for yourself"

Triple L0L

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"One who didn't play the actual games"

L0L

"indeed... The witcher did not have anything an rpg needs like

intresting characters

dialogue without the blue=good red=evil answers"

Double L0L

"Yeah Volo probably loved the game but because he has been criticizing it for ages now he has to pretend its not good....sorry Volo but you created the situation for yourself"

Triple L0L

Hogwash. Two developers right now have quality narrative and reactive plots. Obsidian and CD Projekt. The rest are pretenders.

Hogwash. Two developers right now have quality narrative and reactive plots. Obsidian and CD Projekt. The rest are pretenders.

Well, not really. Shadowrun is very good. And Banner Saga is pretty awesome too. Also Wasteland and Divinity. So there are quite a lot of good devs out there right now actually.

Edited by Sakai
  • Like 1

Minor nitpick. This is not the first time we've seen people label Geralt as a "Drizzt wannabe", but interestingly enough, he predates Drizzt. By a couple of years.

If anything, Geralt of Rivia is an Elric of Melniboné wannabe. A clone, in fact. Both are Mutants. Both are supernatural swordsmen, both share the same nickname (white wolf).

Edited by Stun
  • Like 2

At least it's original, usually we have the supermutant orphaned Witcher equated with Elric of Melnibone, the weakling elven emperor.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Minor nitpick. This is not the first time we've seen people label Geralt as a "Drizzt wannabe", but interestingly enough, he predates Drizzt. By a couple of years, in fact.

Reminds me of people telling me that they never watched The Addams Family because it was "just a Munsters clone" - not only did both TV shows start airing within a week the frigging Addams Family was based on a comic that premiered in '38. Geez.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I've never bought the Elric comparison, on the surface it looks good but to anyone who's read Moorc*ck it rings false in the details, here's a little list I found on another forum which I think is quite appropriate:

Elric of Melnibone:

Rightful emperor of Melnibone, and thus most powerful individual in all the Young Kingdoms.
Elven.
Albino.
Weakling who needs to sustain himself with either drugs or stolen souls.
Mightiest mage in all of the young kingdoms.
Worshipper of the chaos gods.
Frequently stupid.
Bound symbiotically to a soul eating sentient sword.
One aspect of the champion eternal, a multiversal hero.
His people have ruled the world for ten millenia.
Rides Dragons and sometimes even weirder craft.
Has few friends or acquaintances, mainly Dyvim, Moonglum and his lovers.

Geralt of Rivia:

Orphaned child without family or fortune.
Human.
White haired and cat eyed due to witcher mutations.
Superhuman, immune to disease and the ravages of time.
Knows a few witcher tricks, the signs.
Agnostic, with a certain distaste for fate.
Clever, know his craft like the back of his hand.
Bear two mundane sword, one silver and one steel.
Is not sure whether fate exists, certainly does not like to think of himself as a pawn of it.
Witchers are few and rapidly dying out, at their height they were reviled freaks.
Rides an interchangable horse that he calls Roach.
Has many friends.

Edit: I'd also add that their personalities are quite different, Geralt is a world weary cynic, old fashioned, with a crude sense of humour and ill manners. Whereas Elric is fey, melancholic or manic, arrogant, intense, lazy and cruel like an idling great cat, and also quite determined to break tradition.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

The comparison to Elric is laughable. I always found it pathetic that author felt the need to dig at Sapkowski who, quite frankly has a more interesting world. I mean this **** is whining about being a lesser writer. Who the **** is Elric? Does anyone know or care now?

I preferred Hawkmoon personally, but the High History of the Runestaff was the first collection of Moorc*ck novels that I read, so that may be a nostalgic bias. The four books in that illustrated cardboard cover however were fantistically illustrated, very psychedelic and quite frankly weird, i've trawled all over the web and still can't find the collection in mint condition, one suspects that they're as rare as rocking horse droppings now. Then again they must be forty years old or so.

Tea for the teapot!

Meanwhile in  Murica. Murican journalist blaming Witcher 3 because lack of Africans in game. Developer of Witcher 3 try educate him about Polish history but fail this hard task.laughing.gif laughing.gif laughing.gif
https://twitter.com/aegies/status/598884273332957184
https://twitter.com/DanielVavra/status/598883653687635968

Daniel Vávra @DanielVavra · 14 мая 
I just read your Wicther3 @aegies review and wanted to ask - do you think that Europeans dont have right for our own history and heritage?

Daniel Vávra @DanielVavra · 14 мая 
@aegies Do you think, that everytime we want to tell the story about us, we need to inject some other cultures into it not to be racist?

Arthur -Boop- Gies @aegies · 14 мая 
.@DanielVavra given that the witcher 3 appears to reference both viking and medieval german culture as well, i'd say it already does that.

Daniel Vávra‎@DanielVavra
@aegies Are you aware about the fact that Poland has long history with Germans and is a home of Jomsvikings? Witcher world = fantasy Poland

@DanielVavra
@aegies Poland has borders with Germany and shares Baltic Sea with Scandinavian countries. Large portions of Poland were originally German.

Daniel Vávra‎@DanielVavra
@aegies So all this - its their cultural heritage. Makes perfect sense and is common fact for Polish and most European people.

Arthur -Boop- Gies @aegies · 14 мая 
.@DanielVavra so now you're saying there weren't any non-white people in a gigantic landmass in northern/western europe.

Daniel Vávra @DanielVavra · 14 мая 
@aegies Yes I am, because they weren't.

Arthur -Boop- Gies @aegies · 14 мая
.@DanielVavra and i am saying, uncategorically, that the historical record says you're wrong.

Daniel Vávra @DanielVavra · 14 мая
@aegies Oh please Mr. American teach me about our history! I was only born on the borders of Bohemia, Germany and Poland so I dont know ****

Arthur -Boop- Gies‎@aegies
.@DanielVavra i'm saying that people who were non-white have historically wandered through your country at various points.

Daniel Vávra ‎@DanielVavra
@aegies Yeah. I actually checked that for our game. There are exactly three documented slaves during the period between 1300-1500.

nice

Edited by obyknven

Well bearing in mind that the Northern Kingdoms of the Witcher are more on par with Scandinavia, and that Nilfgaard seems to be more of a parallel with the Holy Roman Empire, and especially the Teutonic Crusades, i'd say personally that there's an element of truth to both mens assertions.

Poland was at an equivalent time landlocked was it not? With the difficulty of travel outside sea lanes in the medieval period I suspect that the amount of Turkish merchants and such travellers of darker skin tones was probably far less than a single percent of the population. Probably they would also be gathered in population centres, as we find is true in most societies still now, simply travelling from the Shires of England to any large city shows a massive ethnic shift. There of course would be ambassadors, dignitaries and more commonly churchmen from far shores travelling hither and thither but once again I don't suspect that this would have any effect on the ethnic population.

Even conquerers such as the Normans and Romans in Britain really made no impact upon racial profiles and the DNA that is typically found throughout the Isles, so I suspect that while not totally true, Mr Vavra is broadly correct in his assertion. There were people of colour in Poland, but they were rare and probably unusual to the idigenous Slavic(?) population.

Once again however i'd state that this is a fantasy land far to the North, with an ice age threatening, at a state of war with its southern neighbour and fiercely independent and isolationist. The lack of any distant foreigners From Zerrikania, the southern reaches of Nilfgaard or such is hardly an unexpected thing surely. The world is much smaller and easily traversible now, and so we take foreign nationals for granted, I assume in the small area of Redania, Temeria and especially Skellige which the Wild Hunt covers, the natives would not.

Also bear in mind that if searching for diversity Geralt is not technically even human, he's been mutated into a different species, not to mention all of the fantastical species and conjuction era creatures.

Edit: I can understand Mr Vavra's ire however being lectured about his own countries history by a journalist whom lets face it won't have done any historical study into the period or place, whereas Mr Vavra probably has from what we have seen of Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

Edit #2: Pre downloaded on GOG.

Edited by Nonek

Tea for the teapot!

• Like 3

Tea for the teapot!