The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [2015]

Pidesco

Nice use of Black Blood there, reminds me of a story I read somewhere, and nice to see Geralts age referenced which varies between 60 and a hundred or so depending upon whom you ask.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/13/8533059/the-witcher-3-review-wild-hunt-PC-PS4-Xbox-one

That said, the world CD Projekt has created is oppressively misogynist. In some ways, the game deals directly with this — characters acknowledge again and again that it's hard to be a woman there, that it's a place of violence and terror and that women must work harder to be recognized and respected.

Then it kills them, over and over. There are several monster types devoted to murdered and wronged women whom Geralt is frequently asked to destroy, and other villainous characters are shown torturing or even butchering women to show just how evil they are. One sequence seemed specifically designed to see how long I could listen to a major female character have her fingernails pulled out before I ended the conversation to attack the individual in question. A later scene shows a villain literally surrounded by the bodies of murdered prostitutes.

a male character criticizing a woman for going into battle with her shirt hanging open is the "snake eating its own tail" of video game sexism

In another, a character who admitted to beating his wife so badly she miscarried is given an opportunity to explain why she had it coming, complete with a sympathetic conversation response option to go with it. The performances all around in this scene are excellent, the presentation among the best, most reined in anywhere in the game, but the message I saw it conveying was abhorrent.

I get that the setting of The Witcher 3 is meant to be a dark, dirty fantasy. But in a world that so explicitly goes out of its way to build a believable, distinctive take on the genre, the inclusion of so much violence explicitly directed against women feels like a clear, disconcerting choice. It's not just present, it's frequently a focus.

When they're not being murdered, women in The Witcher 3 are comically sexualized. Nudity is everywhere — think Game of Thrones on HBO — and even when they're dressed, female leads don't have it much better. One character, the subject of an extended series of side quests and whom plays a fairly important role in advancing the story wears a dress with a neckline so wide I was pretty sure I was seeing an areola every time she turned to the side (no, seriously).

Other moments are truly worthy of eye-rolling — as when one male character criticizes a woman for going into battle with her shirt hanging open, which is really the snake eating its own tail of video game sexism in a game where a significant portion of its speaking female characters are similarly and impractically exposed. Even Ciri, a daughter figure for Geralt and someone revealed to be incredibly powerful in her own right, walks around with her shirt unbuttoned in the middle, with a pretty clear view of a bra underneath — even when her attire changes to feature a fur-lined collar in colder climates.

I hope its Triss

A bit sad really. That we can think of no better endorsement than that Pologon thinks it's sexist. It might even be sexist, but we're all going to buy it because Polygon are tossers. 

http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/13/8533059/the-witcher-3-review-wild-hunt-PC-PS4-Xbox-one

That said, the world CD Projekt has created is oppressively misogynist. In some ways, the game deals directly with this — characters acknowledge again and again that it's hard to be a woman there, that it's a place of violence and terror and that women must work harder to be recognized and respected.

Then it kills them, over and over. There are several monster types devoted to murdered and wronged women whom Geralt is frequently asked to destroy, and other villainous characters are shown torturing or even butchering women to show just how evil they are. One sequence seemed specifically designed to see how long I could listen to a major female character have her fingernails pulled out before I ended the conversation to attack the individual in question. A later scene shows a villain literally surrounded by the bodies of murdered prostitutes.

a male character criticizing a woman for going into battle with her shirt hanging open is the "snake eating its own tail" of video game sexism

In another, a character who admitted to beating his wife so badly she miscarried is given an opportunity to explain why she had it coming, complete with a sympathetic conversation response option to go with it. The performances all around in this scene are excellent, the presentation among the best, most reined in anywhere in the game, but the message I saw it conveying was abhorrent.

I get that the setting of The Witcher 3 is meant to be a dark, dirty fantasy. But in a world that so explicitly goes out of its way to build a believable, distinctive take on the genre, the inclusion of so much violence explicitly directed against women feels like a clear, disconcerting choice. It's not just present, it's frequently a focus.

When they're not being murdered, women in The Witcher 3 are comically sexualized. Nudity is everywhere — think Game of Thrones on HBO — and even when they're dressed, female leads don't have it much better. One character, the subject of an extended series of side quests and whom plays a fairly important role in advancing the story wears a dress with a neckline so wide I was pretty sure I was seeing an areola every time she turned to the side (no, seriously).

Other moments are truly worthy of eye-rolling — as when one male character criticizes a woman for going into battle with her shirt hanging open, which is really the snake eating its own tail of video game sexism in a game where a significant portion of its speaking female characters are similarly and impractically exposed. Even Ciri, a daughter figure for Geralt and someone revealed to be incredibly powerful in her own right, walks around with her shirt unbuttoned in the middle, with a pretty clear view of a bra underneath — even when her attire changes to feature a fur-lined collar in colder climates.

I hope its Triss

A bit sad really. That we can think of no better endorsement than that Pologon thinks it's sexist. It might even be sexist, but we're all going to buy it because Polygon are tossers. 

Good old CDPR, despite other development studios being more conservative we know we can rely on them for a bit of visibility for the female form   :biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Remember the fuzz that happened with Mass Effect and Fox News back in the days, just because of a little bit underwear.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Remember the fuzz that happened with Mass Effect and Fox News back in the days, just because of a little bit underwear.

Yeah :)

I also remember Fox running this appalling story  that DA:O "was an obscene game because it had dirty and hidden  gay sex in it "   :lol:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Boobs and ass have long been staples of video games, and for good reason, because boobs and ass are awesome.  However, it's about high tide that we get equal genital representation in games.  I ask for, nay, demand proper dong representation in vidya games.  #GiveMeDong

This is actually a good point most people forget in favor of war drum beating. It's also an issue in film, as well.

Should be pointed out that GTA is the leader in dong display (GTA4's lost and damned had a scene of a contact showing his junk, and 5 has Trevor dropping his pants).

I forgot this was out on tuesday.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

i did the preload last night

i wonder if it will even run at minimum.

my AMD 8350 CPU is fine as are the 8GB of ram, but the HD7770 1GB is below the minimum requirements

my brother should be fine with his R7 260x 2GB

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I'm waiting for reviews on the final release PC version (as opposed to a PS4 pre-release review) before I buy.   Polygon's crap notwithstanding the early reviews are at least promising.

Edited by kgambit

my AMD 8350 CPU is fine as are the 8GB of ram, but the HD7770 1GB is below the minimum requirements

I thought you needed at least a 2 Gig card?

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Hmm, cripes, I think my card only has 1GiB. Hope I can still manage to run it anyway as I wasn't really planning on getting a new card anytime soon (doesn't have problem yet with any recent games as long as I don't go nuts with the AA sliders).

if it runs, i will have to go Gothic 3 style (for those who remember how heavy it was at launch)

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-is-your-system-ready

1920x1080, Low settings GTX 960

1920x1080, Medium settings GTX 960

1920x1080, High settings GTX 960

1920x1080, Uber settings GTX 970

1920x1080, Uber settings w/ GameWorks GTX 980

2560x1440, Uber settings GTX 980

2560x1440, Uber settings w/ GameWorks GTX TITAN X, or 2-Way SLI GTX 970

3840x2160, Uber settings GTX TITAN X, or 2-Way SLI GTX 980

3840x2160, Uber settings w/ GameWorks 2-Way SLI GTX 980 or GTX TITAN X

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

R7 260x and above probably

-Teknoman2-

Unfortunately Wild Hunt is a GameWorks (i.e. nVidia sponsored) title, so a comparison/conversion to those "requirements" is not possible, nVidia has had a significant amount of exclusive access during the game's development and it can be safely assumed that a given nV card will outperform an otherwise equivalent AMD card initially (the gap will close after launch as AMD get to optimise their drivers for the game, to what extent is anyone's guess). That said, that listing is more consumer advice for those looking to buy a new nV card anyway because it doesn't list older-but-faster products, so it's not useful in the "will my PC run the game" stakes.

P.S. The GTX770 is a better card than the GTX960 listed above, so you will be fine.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

To separate the marketing from the real data, there's some independent testing being done here, if you can read German. If, like me, you can't, then some selected snippets via Google translate:

The Witcher 3 was even liquid when the CPU under overclocked to 2.0GHz and hyperthreading has been disabled.

Also pleasing: For Ultra-Details and Full HD it takes is a fleet middle-class graphics card as a GTX 770 or R9 280X. Impressive:. Despite very pleasing graphics and, in most cases considerable and varied texturing draw up The Witcher 3 in Full HD with 2 GiByte graphics memory satisfied

Assuming you have a reasonably current quad-core at around 3 GHz and a good middle-class GPU with 2 GiByte memory, you can look forward not only to the best looking version of The Witcher 3, but also to the most liquid after our previous findings

While HBAO + leistungsstechnisch is fairly unobtrusive, and also AMD GPUs can represent both liquid with Nvidia as, Hairworks is very demanding in our version, in particularly with an AMD graphics card.
But Nvidia GPUs are the latest then overwhelmed by our initial findings when Geralt Schopf is shown in close-up or multiple creatures with Hairworks-fur are at the same time on the screen. ... Hair Works is only relatively rarely used, as well as the NPCs Witchers women do not benefit from the tessellated curls. And if you is worth the strong performance hit of effect, you have to decide ultimately themselves

When you consider the testing was done on a pre-release version, I think it's reasonable to assume real-world performance will be even better.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Jesus, Kevin Van Ord's review for The Witcher 3 on Gamespot is going on 6600 comments.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I am moving my home right now and when the official release date is I won't be able to play due to lack of internet and this stupid release patch. :(

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

i was watching some videos of the game on ultra...

if only i could afford a titan X

-Teknoman2-

Jesus, Kevin Van Ord's review for The Witcher 3 on Gamespot is going on 6600 comments.

I'm not gonna read all that. What's the controversy? Or is it just plain old ****posting?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I'm not gonna read all that. What's the controversy? Or is it just plain old ****posting?

There was a lot of that for sure.  Typical sort of game review posts.  Some Haters, some nut jobs, some religious fanatics, a lot of GG and anti-GG back and forth.  About what you would expect. 

Stuff like this:   "You can get 100 hours out of throwing rocks into a lake does not mean its worth $60"

Edited by kgambit
  • Like 1