The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [2015]

Pidesco

This game just can't be as good as it looks. It just can't... Can it?

Not on my peecee, no.

Haha. And that's why I'll be getting it on the ps4 and hoping for good graphics.

Same. Keeping my PC upgraded for all the new games is too much trouble for me these days. Rather just play it on console instead.

I've stopped watching trailers for this entirely.  I can't handle any more hype, it's too much.

If you won't go to the trailer, I'll bring the trailer to you!

Witcher 3: The Wild Fashion!

bvsiov.gif

Oh.

My.

God.

I hope the good looking armor actually also has good stats.  One thing I've always hated about RPGs that allow you to outfit your character with different armors is a lot of the time the best armors, stat-wise, looked goofy.  So I'd end up outfitting my character in "weaker" armor, but that actually looked good.

Dragon Age was horrible with that, especially when it came to mage hats.  "Here's the best hat in the game that makes your mage unstoppable, but he'll look like he's wearing a dunce cap the entire time!"

• Like 4

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I hope the good looking armor actually also has good stats.  One thing I've always hated about RPGs that allow you to outfit your character with different armors is a lot of the time the best armors, stat-wise, looked goofy.  So I'd end up outfitting my character in "weaker" armor, but that actually looked good.

Dragon Age was horrible with that, especially when it came to mage hats.  "Here's the best hat in the game that makes your mage unstoppable, but he'll look like he's wearing a dunce cap the entire time!"

The good thing is: different to DAI TW3 will be completely moddable and nobody tries to keep you from changing things, they even encourage you to do so by releasing modding tools (later).

So if it turns out that the really good looking items in the game will have weak stats just wait for the modders to jump on and correct that... ;)

Edited by LordCrash
35167v4.jpg

Strangely enough I can no longer log in to the Witcher forums, ah well.

Neither can I, I might have forgotten my password but you're supposed to use your GOG account now and I can remember its password. I was getting the Polish version of the website as well for some reason. Still, always fun to speculate how you pronounce words with no vowels and half a dozen different bits dangling off various letters.

I had the same problem - couldn't merge my accounts or access the CDProjekt forums.  So I switched browsers and went to their forum page via Google Chrome and everything is working now.  Even have the right language. 

It was actually a cookie issue, it's now fixed since someone kindly reminded me I actually had the problem.

Note for Nonek who I believe was having the same problem: I had 3rd party cookies blocked, when I excepted GOG.com from the block login worked.

• Like 1

I know, and i agree about The Witcher 2. But this just looks like the RPG to end all RPGs. And that just can't be true. There's gotta be something wrong with it.

I'm sure it will have the standard faults. PC gamers will still grind their teeth in frustration as they wrestle with a dreadful unintuitive UI that is not designed for a keyboard and mouse. Combat will again be overly twitch based and not particularly tactical, despite the hours of developer-narrated gameplay footage we've seen where they try really *really* hard to sell us, once again, on how complex and *deep* 5 signs + a sword is (but hey, we got crossbows now! Just like throwing daggers in TW2, but better!). Crafting will probably, again, be an uninspired chore. And my gut is telling me that "Horse management" will probably be more tedious than they're leading us to believe.

But that all said, my biggest gripe with Witcher 2 was how small and constrictive the world space felt (Loc Muinne still gives me clusterphobia nightmares. ugh), and they've obviously addressed that in Witcher 3, and in such a mind-blowing epic way too. So I'll probably fall madly in love with this game and spend the majority of my summer inside, in front of my computer, playing it.

Edited by Stun

25 GB download. That'll hurt my cap, need to find a friend at University who can download it for me :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I know, and i agree about The Witcher 2. But this just looks like the RPG to end all RPGs. And that just can't be true. There's gotta be something wrong with it.

I'm sure it will have the standard faults. PC gamers will still grind their teeth in frustration as they wrestle with a dreadful unintuitive UI that is not designed for a keyboard and mouse. Combat will again be overly twitch based and not particularly tactical, despite the hours of developer-narrated gameplay footage we've seen where they try really *really* hard to sell us, once again, on how complex and *deep* 5 signs + a sword is (but hey, we got crossbows now! Just like throwing daggers in TW2, but better!). Crafting will probably, again, be an uninspired chore. And my gut is telling me that "Horse management" will probably be more tedious than they're leading us to believe.

But that all said, my biggest gripe with Witcher 2 was how small and constrictive the world space felt (Loc Muinne still gives me clusterphobia nightmares. ugh), and they've obviously addressed that in Witcher 3, and in such a mind-blowing epic way too. So I'll probably fall madly in love with this game and spend the majority of my summer inside, in front of my computer, playing it.

Awfully cynical outlook there. I got no idea why you'd be so sure they'll mess those things up without seeing them in action. Looks like everything is improved from Witcher 2, especially the fighting system. I'd say the UI looks much better too.

• Like 1

Awfully cynical outlook there. I got no idea why you'd be so sure they'll mess those things up without seeing them in action. Looks like everything is improved from Witcher 2, especially the fighting system. I'd say the UI looks much better too.

Yeah I agree, this game is shaping up to look brilliant 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Well, for one thing, I don't think I'd call those things "messed up". I'd call them what they are: "standard faults". Or "the status quo". But semantics aside, We've *seen* PC gameplay in action. there's no mystery here (at least not with the UI). It's still using the same radial menu that Witcher 2 used...which I found quite cumbersome....and a bad fit for a game with twitch-based, real time combat. The only real improvement I've seen with the UI is the inventory (it's grid based now instead of list based) Kudos for that.

As for the combat, I want to know what exactly leads you to believe it's 'especially better'. Is it the fact that Geralt no longer does those tiresome, nearly uncontrollable summersaults whenever he dodges? Because that's about it. I've seen no other combat changes, have you?

I'm looking forward to TW3 as much as the next guy, but when someone comes on here and discusses perfection, its only logical to remind him that, just like all other AAA titles today, the PC version will be flawed by default because a Keyboard and Mouse is NOT what the game is designed for.

Edited by Stun

Well, for one thing, I don't think I'd call those things "messed up". I'd call them what they are: "standard faults". Or "the status quo". But semantics aside, We've *seen* PC gameplay in action. there's no mystery here (at least not with the UI). It's still using the same radial menu that Witcher 2 used...which I found quite cumbersome....and a bad fit for a game with twitch-based, real time combat. The only real improvement I've seen with the UI is the inventory (it's grid based now instead of list based) Kudos for that.

As for the combat, I want to know what exactly leads you to believe it's 'especially better'. Is it the fact that Geralt no longer does those tiresome, nearly uncontrollable summersaults whenever he dodges? Because that's about it. I've seen no other combat changes, have you?

I'm looking forward to TW3 as much as the next guy, but when someone comes on here and discusses perfection, its only logical to remind him that, just like all other AAA titles today, the PC version will be flawed by default because a Keyboard and Mouse is NOT what the game is designed for.

I can't agree with your assessments, that crafting was tedious or combat was bad or most the other things that you disliked about Witcher 2. Best not to go down that path, seems you didn't like the game anyway. the combat looks better to me because I was seasoned vet of Witcher 2 and even did pretty good on the arena score board, so I know that combat system inside out. Difference now is Geralt has multiple dodge moves, signs are AOE by default and instantly cast. They have a different kind of riposte now which takes less time to execute.  Finishers take place in the game camera, not a cut scene. He strikes one swipe at a time now. Geralt can walk in all directions when facing an enemy instead of turning arounds and facing away like in Witcher 2. We use potions in combat now and not only before. I could go on but my point is it's really way different and I don't understand how you can't see that. No matter. We both want to play it.

that crafting was tedious

I didn't say that.

or combat was bad

And I didn't say that.

seems you didn't like the game anyway

And I didn't say that!

You are severely Hallucinating. Your Toxicity meter past Full.

or most the other things that you disliked about Witcher 2.

And by "most other things", you'd be talking about Just the UI, and just Geralt's dodging mechanic (which they've replaced, btw), and Just the overly constrictive maps. (which they've also replaced) Because those are the only 3 things I said I disliked from Witcher 2.

Best not to go down that path,

I would never go down an imaginary path created in another poster's head. Edited by Stun

that crafting was tedious

I didn't say that.

or combat was bad

And I didn't say that.

seems you didn't like the game anyway

And I didn't say that!

You are severely Hallucinating. Your Toxicity meter past Full.

or most the other things that you disliked about Witcher 2.

And by "most other things", you'd be talking about Just the UI, and just Geralt's dodging mechanic (which they've replaced, btw), and Just the overly constrictive walled maps. Because those are the only 3 things I said I disliked from Witcher 2.

Best not to go down that path,

I would never go down an imaginary path created in another poster's head.

Well good for you, jack ass. I was being polite but if all you're capable of is being a snarky **** head then don't bother responding to my posts.

Edited by licketysplit

I won this game in a contest, so I'll play it, but I was very disappointed in the omissions of Witcher 2 from Witcher. (Namely the camera systems and sensible alchemy/ potion use), and the W2 combat was quite a let down from the original; them having reduced combat in the game to an exercise in puppetry.

You did say crafting was tedious, unless an uninspired chore can be fun. In any case the game will be a lot like Witcher 2, just hoping the UI is nicer to use and the story is pleasing.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

You did say crafting was tedious, unless an uninspired chore can be fun. In any case the game will be a lot like Witcher 2, just hoping the UI is nicer to use and the story is pleasing.

No you right, the word tedious has a negative connotation to it 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I won this game in a contest, so I'll play it, but I was very disappointed in the omissions of Witcher 2 from Witcher. (Namely the camera systems and sensible alchemy/ potion use), and the W2 combat was quite a let down from the original; them having reduced combat in the game to an exercise in puppetry.

I don't disagree entirely but if we're talking tedious the original Witcher was hardly a benchmark where combat was concerned. Hard as it was, at least combat in The Witcher 2 was more involved.

I think this is mostly fair criticism of Assassins of Kings: The UI was a massive step back from the first game and obviously catered to controller play rather than mouse and keyboard. The combat to me was fit for purpose, one felt that Geralt was vulnerable when in such a position as being backstabbed, but also potent when prepared and ready. There was not much depth admittedly, but it was an improvement over say Arkham or the first Witcher in many ways. Crafting was also endlessly irritating for me, not in the execution which was simple, but in the collection of materials that the crafter should have in stock himself, this was once again a step back from the first Witcher. In that game we simply brought the crafter expensive and rare compnents, rather than masses of tat that he should already have.

The itemisation was also far better presented in the first game, finding Coen's silver sword was an important event, and it was an extremely effective weapon that changed ones playstyle. Whereas in the second game swords, armours and the masses of materials were showered on the player every half hour of play rendering them valueless, because one knew that there was a slightly better item appearing very quickly on any path, the rare weapons of the Witchers were now as common as dirt.

The world of the Witcher 2 I personally felt was large enough, it was a desperate, hunt for the Kingslayer, streamlined by nature of its narrative. Loc Muinne, the area around Vergen and Flotsam and its surrounds were large enough and fit for purpose to me, they were striking and different in style, with seperate paths that were viable. That said were they the equal of Vizima, Murky Waters and the various swamplands around Lake Vizim, no but the wandering around such large locales would not fit in the hunt for Letho.

All in my own opinion of course.

Edit: Like Stun I would also say that though I acknowledge and am not blind to its fault, I will probably be enthralled by the third game, like I was by the first and second. For all their flaws, many of which are not covered here, they had just as many if not more strengths.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I don't disagree entirely but if we're talking tedious the original Witcher was hardly a benchmark where combat was concerned. Hard as it was, at least combat in The Witcher 2 was more involved.

Combat was superb IMO, it's the initial reason I kept playing.

*Like Gorgon said, except I don't recall any like timing in Witcher 2.

Edited by Gizmo

One of the downsides to combat in the Witcher 2 for me was that Geralt seemed normal in terms of speed and sword fighting, in the first game he appeared faster, more acrobatic and close to the super fast mutant that he is in the books. Personally I think that ideally a turn based system would more accurately reflect his speed and agility in a game, but obviously considering the AAA status of the game and the unfashionable nature of turn based combat, this is not a possibility.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!