The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [2015]

Pidesco

Not sure if this was posted, but this looks decent first feeling, it blows away DA:I (no hundreds of hit points)

Well to be fair, and i don´t like DA:I, they are completely different games anyway. :)

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

Not sure if this was posted, but this looks decent first feeling, it blows away DA:I (no hundreds of hit points)

Well to be fair, and i don´t like DA:I, they are completely different games anyway. :)

Both are RPGs with action combat and open world, so I do not see much difference.

Combat seems to be better designed (because it does not try to cheat you into being party based tactical combat so it can be better developed on action part)

Open world looks better, but I would have to play TW3 to express my final decisions. (but horseriding alone is better and it includes mounted combat too)

From the history though the RPG elements were much stronger in TW series than in DA series overall (2 games average vs 2 games average, and both had nonsensical "romance", but at least TW did not try to cheat you into sex scenes to be more than just that, sex scenes)

The only part where someone might dislike this game, is the fact that the game has a clearly defined protagonist with no real customization options, but it is also his strength, as he has well fleshed out backstory in the literature.

Edited by Darkpriest

I became far less interested upon learning the world was actually divided up into three sections. That's what I hated most about TW2. 

My guess they had to make some compromise in this section if the wanted to maintain the structure where your choices were reflected in the game world.

Do you know to what extend is the divide implemented? Maybe it is just that some parts of the map are closed off because war/battle/wild hunt w/e big reason?

I became far less interested upon learning the world was actually divided up into three sections. That's what I hated most about TW2. 

My guess they had to make some compromise in this section if the wanted to maintain the structure where your choices were reflected in the game world.

Do you know to what extend is the divide implemented? Maybe it is just that some parts of the map are closed off because war/battle/wild hunt w/e big reason?

My guess is the technical aspect. IF we believe the sheer size of the game than it´s just a barging for load times, you can´t have EVERYTHING without loading times, especially consindering most people will play this game on rather normal gaming rigs and consoles. Somewhere inbetween you have to load in a new section, but i guess they can easily explain it with the war going on, so immersion won´t be broken.

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

Both are RPGs with action combat and open world, so I do not see much difference.

Witcher doesn't have generic characters. The character is fixed and has a defined history (Geralt). It's more story driven, and the story itself is better (to my subjective taste), being rooted in the books by Andrzej Sapkowski. In this sense, I consider the Witcher series to be action-adventure RPGs.

The only part where someone might dislike this game, is the fact that the game has a clearly defined protagonist with no real customization options, but it is also his strength, as he has well fleshed out backstory in the literature.

Planescape Torment also has a predefined protagonist. As well as most adventure games for example. It's not necessarily a minus.

Edited by shmerl

The vampire's line did make me laugh, I will admit.

• Like 4

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

This trailer is RAD.  :w00t:

My hype meter for this game is now truly pushed to the maximum capacity (before my head blows...).

I'm hoping it's just locked and not "you're here but now you're here".

There is no lock at all. You can explore everything as you wish once you've left the (small) starting region. But be aware that there are no leveling enemies so many regions with the "soft-locked" by enemy population just like the Gothic games did back in the time. If you can survive in the wilderness early on, good for you though. ;)

Also the game has only TWO big hubs, No man's land and Skellige. Novigrad is part of the No man's land region which is just so big that Novigrad has its own ingame map in the menu...

But other than TW2 there is no act structure with different maps you can't visit anymore once you've progressed. You will always be able to visit both Skellige and No man's land , only some additional smaller hubs will be integrated in certain story events (like the starting region or Kaer Morhen, the Witcher castle, for flashback sections and stuff). So it a "true" open world game with some more guidance for the story, but you can't really compare that to TW2.

Edited by LordCrash
  • Like 2
35167v4.jpg

I'd forgotten that Yen likes to romp on the back of a Unicorn, the Vampire definitely stole that trailer however.

Edit: I wonder if that's Yen's voice actress?

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-witcher-3-will-include-a-hearthstone-style-game-within-a-game-called-gwent/

Gwent, according to The Witcher 3 game lore, was invented by Dwarves and "perfected over centuries of tavern table play." It features more than 150 units, spells and hero cards divided among four different factions—the mighty and cunning Nilfgaardian Empire, the brave Northern Realms and their siege weapons, the agile and devious Scoia'tael, and the brutal monsters of No Man's Land.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

This game just can't be as good as it looks. It just can't... Can it?

Well it can. The Witcher 2 blew everything out of the water as well when it was released. Depends on your machine though, i would expect a high end pc to really play it a max with everything turned on. These eastern studios really come up with amazing graphics out of nowhere, just take a look at Metro 2, which still can roast your pc.

Well it can. The Witcher 2 blew everything out of the water as well when it was released. Depends on your machine though, i would expect a high end pc to really play it a max with everything turned on. These eastern studios really come up with amazing graphics out of nowhere, just take a look at Metro 2, which still can roast your pc.

I know, and i agree about The Witcher 2. But this just looks like the RPG to end all RPGs. And that just can't be true. There's gotta be something wrong with it.  :grin: Because if there isn't, then the only question is what the hell Bioware and Bethesda and others were doing all these years...

I know, and i agree about The Witcher 2. But this just looks like the RPG to end all RPGs. And that just can't be true. There's gotta be something wrong with it.  :grin: Because if there isn't, then the only question is what the hell Bioware and Bethesda and others were doing all these years...

I think the question is what they have been not doing. Considering that the people who made the Witcher series or the ones who made Metro, are far smaller, have less experience and way less money? I think that shows whats wrong :)

I always support a smaller studios, the bigger one gets, the more of a cluster **** it gets and you can see that all the time, it´s not just games but generally speaking. You only end up with a dozen "producer" and "ceo-executives" etc who make the money. It´s not like the programer who works 50h a week gets a raise...anyway....

Bethesda made a beautiful game, engine wise, they are great world builders, but the first thing modders on PC did was to tune it up and blow everyone away with graphics. Obviously the graphics were kept low for consoles. No question there. The same will be with WItcher 3, i expect a shipped or a patched version with high res state of the art textures for PC which the consoles just can´t handle.

Bioware...made a good job..i guess with DA:I? I don´t like it, but its not a bad game and it looks ok. Except again, the faces don´t. But to be honest, for me there is no Bioware anymore, the talent has left and what is there is under EA control, until the day they make not enough money and get closed down like EVERY other EA studio that doesn´t bring in enough money. They have not released a great game since DA:O as far as i´m concerned. And i was one of the biggest, and still am, fanboys (with reasons) for old Bioware :p