The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [2015]

Pidesco

Hmmm you may have a point, but isn't the more popular armour amongst other games usually the big spiky pauldrons and other impractical harness, surely they'd go for that rather than the quite realistic mail and gambeson that Geralt is utilising in the above?

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I'm sure that it's not the actual reason, but I explain it to myself as Geralt having lost a step as he's gotten older and being smart enough to swallow his pride and put on a little extra protection to make up for his diminished agility.

Thank goodness they didn't go down the outrageously over stylized armor with disgustingly gargantuan pauldrons look that's all the rage these days.

Edit:  I want to wield that pole axe in the second picture.  :p

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I still find myself a little discombobulated when it comes to Aerondight's diminishment, how utterly silly to be attached to a virtual weapon, still that quest arc was enormously well implemented. There was nothing in the second game to match it.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Geralt seems to be favouring heavier armours in almost every screenshots i've seen, at least compared to the books where he seldom wears more than a leather jack and spiked bracers, I wonder what brought this on: A design change perhaps, an emphasis on more realistic attire for a professional swordsman or maybe an in game response to the warlike circumstances that he is currently embroiled in?

Geralt's age has started to get him and he can't anymore shake those gut wounds as good off as when he was young man, also he has started to lose his flexibility and rolling in ground don't feel anymore that compelling to him, so he has decided that it is time to start to use actual armor instead of sexy leather suit.

:dancing:

• Like 1

I still find myself a little discombobulated when it comes to Aerondight's diminishment, how utterly silly to be attached to a virtual weapon, still that quest arc was enormously well implemented. There was nothing in the second game to match it.

Agreed.  Much as I liked the second game, it DID kind of dribble, urinarily-speaking (mindful of language filters, here), all over the items they allowed you to import from the first game.  While it might not mean much in the grand scheme of things, that's something I've missed in recent games, where the tendency is to just reboot the character wholesale on one flimsy pretext or another, rather than allowing a character to genuinely transition from one game to a sequel.  A divinely bestowed weapon from the first game should simply NOT turn into trash in the second... just because.

Part of me hopes they don't even allow for imported items anymore; instead of preserving the character, bringing a bit of lore along with you from game to game to add a little more cohesion or personality to the overall story/setting, all it ends up being is a disappointment.  Geralt picked up some pretty hefty artifacts in Loc Muinne; to see them degraded (again) for nothing more than "balance purposes"... ugh.  Not looking forward to that, even if none of the weapons in TW2 had much in the way of character to them, certainly nothing like Aerondight.

I don't find it silly anymore, though, becoming attached to a virtual anything.  If it's something that you worked for, spent time on, learned how to use, enabled your successes or even just postponed your defeats, then it's only natural to care about it, whether it's a character or a sword, virtual or not.  The investment of time and effort is what matters.

• Like 1

Moonblade/Mahakaman rune sihill suffers same fate. Kind of sad considering how much work it takes to acquire it.

At any rate new weapons and armour are very rare in first Witcher. While in 2 you find silver swords lying around in puddles.

• Like 1

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Moonblade/Mahakaman rune sihill suffers same fate. Kind of sad considering how much work it takes to acquire it.

At any rate new weapons and armour are very rare in first Witcher. While in 2 you find silver swords lying around in puddles.

So true, personally I think that pacing was perfect. It really says, to me at least, that one can design a game where the tyranny of loot does not dictate gameplay but rather is a welcome addition to gameplay.

Tea for the teapot!

I have a love hate relationship with the series. I love the world and characters but the way it's presented is awkward at best-from inventory management, potions, you name it. And the action combat has no place in an RPG. It's far to twitch reliant ala console style for my tastes. RPG rules are setup like a tactical wargame for a reason-from front line fighters to back line artillery- it is a tactical world- not a Mortal Kombat one--and that just spoils the game for me.

I have a love hate relationship with the series. I love the world and characters but the way it's presented is awkward at best-from inventory management, potions, you name it. And the action combat has no place in an RPG. It's far to twitch reliant ala console style for my tastes. RPG rules are setup like a tactical wargame for a reason-from front line fighters to back line artillery- it is a tactical world- not a Mortal Kombat one--and that just spoils the game for me.

I very much disagree.  There are many types of RPGs, from action oriented ones, to tactical ones, to hybrid strategy game/RPGs.  There is room enough for all of these, the genre should not limit itself to just one style of gameplay.  Furthermore, I feel that action combat is a perfect fit for The Witcher.  Geralt is not a soldier, he is a Witcher.  While he has (reluctantly) fought in wars, strategic combat with large numbers of troops, staying disciplined, holding formations and such is not his forte.  Geralt is most at home fighting by himself against either a lone enemy or small groups of enemies.  The enemies he is trained to kill are monsters.  Monsters tend not to attack in an organized way, combat with them tends to be visceral rather than tactical, which is a perfect fit for action combat.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Soon, only a "few" days left and my life will be over, can´t wait to get my hands on this, even if the game roasts my pc :p

• Like 1

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

Why do I find this hard to believe?

Yeah I agree, it must be a  April Fools joke  :biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Running through the Witcher 1 right now. Have only played Witcher 2 for 3-4 hours. Didn't have time at the moment to play more of it.
Will (hopefully, too many good games coming right now...) complete both before Witcher 3 launch. Will probably have to get a new graphics card around release aswell.

• Like 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Strangely enough I can no longer log in to the Witcher forums, ah well.

First fifteen minutes of the game, link to IGN's Youtube page:

Edit: It states that this is the "first" fifteen minutes of the game but it's speculated there's a tutorial segment with Ciri at Kaer Morhen before this.

Edited by Nonek

Tea for the teapot!

Strangely enough I can no longer log in to the Witcher forums, ah well.

Neither can I, I might have forgotten my password but you're supposed to use your GOG account now and I can remember its password. I was getting the Polish version of the website as well for some reason. Still, always fun to speculate how you pronounce words with no vowels and half a dozen different bits dangling off various letters.

• Like 2