Spells per encounter

Skipperro

Since the begining of PoE development I've heard, that at some point wizard and other spell-casters will have the ability to cast their low-level spells as "per encounter" or even "without limit" instead of "per rest". There is still class decription that confirm it, and Josh have spoken about it more than once, explaining why "per rest" system is not so good. My reaction to it was like "Finally! The biggest issue playing my favourite class (wizard) in infinity engine games will be removed in PoE".

But there is no such feature in Backer Beta. I've played it myself and saw a lot of videos with high level spellcasters and right now I'm a little dissapointed. I was really looking forward to it, but since production cycle is nearly complete, I assume that this system was abandoned. Am I right, or could I expect to have some coresponding feats for wizards and other spellcasters, to change low level spells as "per encounter"?

• Like 1

Yes, that's true. They have low-range, low-damage, low-accuracy arcane blast and book slam. And those abilities don't get any stronger on higher levels.

I still like the overall game experience when playing wizard, but I've imagined this a little bit different, for example by having to pick one feat that gives some low level spell as per-encounter ability (instead for exaple bouns level 1 spell).

I feel that lvl 1 spells set to "per encounter" at low level may be overpowered. As someone said maybe at higher levels?

Still i read the word expansion here. I don't always check these forums, and i wonder if there was even a tiny bit of infos about it. Plus, if i remember well, PoE is the first chapter of a saga, in the same way BG1 was. I hope it's still true. If it is, the lvl 1 spell matter has the time to pop out of the box.

• Like 1

Interesting that you didn't like how the wizard works in the IE games yet it was your favorite class to play.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Yeah I think running out of spells will be my main reason for resting, and I doubt longevity will play out in a very interesting way as they seem to've intended.

Already, it feels a bit silly having characters knocked out and then just jumping back up after a battle. Healing health to full after resting feels more ridiculous than magical healing as well. It's just a bit odd and contrived feeling. I understand they didn't want taking a "healer" class to feel mandatory but I don't like the results of them trying to avoid that.

But as long as combat itself is good it's not going to bother me too much.

Interesting that you didn't like how the wizard works in the IE games yet it was your favorite class to play.

Maybe he is just a wizard fan in fantasy games like i used to be back in the day. :D Still, now, i'm more a priest freak :) But no one cares, hu? :biggrin:

Already, it feels a bit silly having characters knocked out and then just jumping back up after a battle. Healing health to full after resting feels more ridiculous than magical healing as well. It's just a bit odd and contrived feeling. I understand they didn't want taking a "healer" class to feel mandatory but I don't like the results of them trying to avoid that.

Yeah :) The same here yes.gif. And i love healing classes. It took me time to learn how to use priests in BG, but in my last playthrough, i had 3 priests and 1 paladin, and it was awesome.

Edited by Abel

Per rest model just isn't well suited to PoE with Mr. Sawyer's re-imagining of the classes. Spells are either too impotent, too scarce, or combat too frequent. Correcting any of these would make wizards useful, which shall not be permitted. Obsidian needs to seriously consider spell points over pseudovancian if they want to keep spells marginal and combat as frequent as they are.

Yeah, 5x slickness per encounter would be bad, but 1x per encounter after choosing the right feat (1x per encounter only for one chosen spell) is IMHO that, what wizard need.

Or even 5x too, but after choosing the corresponding feat 5 times (I think that would be level 12 without any other feats).

To be fair there is not really anything stopping you from resting after a fight. And I imagine one of the easier mods to create will be to increase camping resources and reduce the duration of resting (for rp purposes). 

Or are there still zones you cannot rest in? I can't remember if that was implemented. 

Yeah, 5x slickness per encounter would be bad, but 1x per encounter after choosing the right feat (1x per encounter only for one chosen spell) is IMHO that, what wizard need.

Or even 5x too, but after choosing the corresponding feat 5 times (I think that would be level 12 without any other feats).

why limit yourself. 6 wizards... 30 slickens per fight !!!!

To be fair there is not really anything stopping you from resting after a fight. And I imagine one of the easier mods to create will be to increase camping resources and reduce the duration of resting (for rp purposes).

Such mods have already been made in earlier beta versions, just no one has updated them for the new ones. Myself, mutonizer and Liston all made some primitive rest-mods and other stuff like that. There's also a console command "rest" that rests without using camping supplies.

Or are there still zones you cannot rest in? I can't remember if that was implemented. 

You've hit the bulls eye - that is exactly what bothers me - resting supplies and 8 hours time. It doesn't feel right. I had no problem with it in Neverwinter Nights, where resting was only sitting for couple of seconds. But that was over-steering in another direction.

I would be interested in a mod, where you could rest/meditate for let's say 30 seconds - character cannot move or do any other actions - and after that all abilities and spells are recovered, but not health or injuries.

I think that would be the way you'd have to do it. Through feats granting +1 level X spells per encounter which can only be taken once for each spell level, otherwise Sensuki's right, it would get ridiculous. Maybe get access to the level 1 talent at level 9, the level 2 at 11 and so on through the expansion and sequels.