Which version will the backer beta become/preorder items

RHelg224

Hey so quick question: I'm a $250 level backer (with a bunch of addons). One of the addons is an extra key.

I see the preorder on Steam has a few different versions. Has Obsidian confirmed which version backers will get? And whether or not we will get the preorder items?

Also, will the extra keys be the same "level" as the main key?

Thanks.

Obsidian has confirmed that all KS backers will get the pre-order specific items (space pig and that other bracelet(?)), in addition to the yet to be revealed backer items.

If I were to guess, I believe the digital keys are for redeeming the base edition of the game (you can choose either Steam or GOG), and all your digital extra add-ons will be delivered through the Obsidian portal based on your backer level. It just seems like the easiest solution without messing with who gets what.

Edited by mstark
  • Like 1
"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

Obsidian has confirmed that all KS backers will get the pre-order specific items (space pig and that other bracelet(?)), in addition to the yet to be revealed backer items.

If I were to guess, I believe the digital keys are for redeeming the base edition of the game (you can choose either Steam or GOG), and all your digital extra add-ons will be delivered through the Obsidian portal based on your backer level. It just seems like the easiest solution without messing with who gets what.

Pretty much this.  Backer specific stuff and the "extras" will be downloaded from the Obsidian portal, they already mentioned this in another thread somewhere I am too lazy to find a link for.  The keys you will be given are for base versions of the game from a client of your choice, Steam or GoG.  If you want the bragging rights of having "edition X" in your steam library you will need to buy it separately.  Just remember that you don't get anything from any of the game versions that is not already available in a backer pledge of equal or greater value to those versions.  It is just you have to download your stuff/maybe get special steam codes from Obsidian. 

EDIT: Oh yeah.... the backer beta doesn't turn into anything.  It is just a beta, once the real game releases you should delete it.

Edited by Karkarov

Backer specific stuff and the "extras" will be downloaded from the Obsidian portal, they already mentioned this in another thread somewhere I am too lazy to find a link for.  The keys you will be given are for base versions of the game from a client of your choice, Steam or GoG.  If you want the bragging rights of having "edition X" in your steam library you will need to buy it separately.  Just remember that you don't get anything from any of the game versions that is not already available in a backer pledge of equal or greater value to those versions.  It is just you have to download your stuff/maybe get special steam codes from Obsidian. 

Is this final? The thread I remember said that was the plan, but that they might look into getting Backers their "appropriate" level on the distributors' site too. Granted, this was a number of months ago, and I might've missed a second thread.

No huge loss, but I'd like to have all my digital stuff in one place, together with the game. I don't believe it should be so tough to match existing backer levels to the 3 current tiers. Might get tricky once you start counting add-ons 'n such, though.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a bit of a necropost I suppose but I'm still unclear on if the second key I purchased will also include the preorder items.

Do you have a link to where Obsidian confirmed thise about KS backers getting the pre-order items?

I just sent Obsidian a message via Kickstarter on what I'm trying to confirm. I'll post it here in case anyone has any insight or if anyone can link to an official answer on any of these (assuming there has been an answer on any of these):

Hi Obsidian,

I have a couple of questions. I'm a $250 level backer, but my pledge was around $330. One of the add-ons was an extra digital key.

I'd like to confirm a couple of things:

1) My primary copy includes "Kickstarter Exclusive In-Game Pet" and "Kickstarter only in-game achievement and item" - when I purchased the additional key during the kickstarter campaign, I assumed any content exclusive to the campaign would also be available for any keys purchased via the campaign, as it was purchased in support of the campaign. Can you please confirm?

2) Will the pre-order items (the Giant Miniature Space Piglet and Gaun's Pledge) be available for both the primary AND extra digital key? I have asked the individual I will be gifting the extra key to not to preorder the game but I want to make sure they will get the preorder items.

3) What level are the keys at with regard to the tiers on Steam? If it's the base level, will the primary and extra keys both be upgradable via the Hero/Champion upgrades?

4) Will the extra keys be available by launch as well?

Essentially I am just trying to confirm and ensure that the recipient of the gift key will either have the same exact content as my primary key, or will have a pathway to upgrade to the same content level.

Thank you for your help.

I just sent Obsidian a message via Kickstarter on what I'm trying to confirm. I'll post it here in case anyone has any insight or if anyone can link to an official answer on any of these (assuming there has been an answer on any of these):

#1 and #2...... who knows.  You will need to wait for an Obsidian answer on that.

#3: All keys (as of the last official answer) are considered to be standard game keys.  AKA: The Hero Edition.  You download all your extras based on your pledge level from the Obsidian Portal itself as separate items.  The reason for this is that there are things you can get that are not available in any of the three versions of the game as a backer so it is impossible to host those within the standard game versions.  As a result since you had to go to the Obsidian portal regardless they felt it would be more effective to just make the Obsidian portal your one stop shop for everything save the game download itself.

#4: I can't think of any good reason why they wouldn't be.  They know how many every backer needs already and they can track the pre orders.  They are keys, not physical game discs.  Generating the needed number should not be a concern.

Edited by Karkarov

Do we have a date when real keys should be given to bakers?

I don't believe so, no.

Also, Obsidian still has not responded to my question.

I'd really like to know for sure if extra backer keys are entitled to the preorder items.

• Like 1