Q for Polina & Kaz (Portraits)

Just curious, what brushes/filters/palette's are used?

I've tried modifying some pictures (hair color, scars, tattoo's, earrings, features, helmets, armor/shoulders etc.) but it doesn't always get very good (unless detailed copy+pasting).

And I've also tried taking some random google fantasy portraits/pictures and tried getting the same style but it doesn't quite get there, and I'm suspecting I'm lacking a brush tool or application knowledge. Lacking in drawing skills is a given (though I often hear I can draw... heh, who hasn't heard that one before? *self-criticism*), but I'm wondering if there's any tips or tricks I could use to get closer resemblance to the Pillars of Eternity artistic style.

Basically, what I want to do is a "paint over" pass on random fantasy google images, and also add traits to already existant Portraits (I want to attempt to make a "Doom Guy Portrait" Mod, that represents how much health you have, and maybe even what helmet you are wearing, and what armor you are wearing. If something like that is possible).

Edited by Osvir

Hi Osvir for the portraits I did I used a brush that imitates a natural bristle brush. The photoshop brush looks like a bunch of dots. Beyond that the rest is just treated like a regular painting. 

http://digitalbrushes.tumblr.com/

^ a good source for photoshop brushes

oh and before I forget the style of painting was somewhere in between the Justin Sweet's BG Portraits, John singer Sargent and Frazetta (I think i dunno I've looked at to many things).

• Like 11

I question is come up to my mind after seen a dev. At this stage of the game - going gold - what are artists doing? Making more portraits or working on expansion?

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

On a slightly related note, any chance of any of you ever doing a "Let's draw", walking viewers through the creation of a portrait? I realize that it'd be useless to most people, but for the artists amongst us and those interested in making their own portraits, it would be absolute gold.

I realize it wouldn't be very cost-efficient, but I just thought I'd ask.

• Like 9

t50aJUd.jpg

Hi Osvir for the portraits I did I used a brush that imitates a natural bristle brush. The photoshop brush looks like a bunch of dots. Beyond that the rest is just treated like a regular painting. 

oh and before I forget the style of painting was somewhere in between the Justin Sweet's BG Portraits, John singer Sargent and Frazetta (I think i dunno I've looked at to many things).

Since we're on the topic, what resolution/size are you working at when you draw them in Photoshop, before merging and resizing?

t50aJUd.jpg

I question is come up to my mind after seen a dev. At this stage of the game - going gold - what are artists doing? Making more portraits or working on expansion?

Icons, portraits, moved onto other projects.. we do whatever/ where ever there is need for us. :)

• Like 5

Since we're on the topic, what resolution/size are you working at when you draw them in Photoshop, before merging and resizing?

I work at  4800 x 7540 pixels 200 dpi But the portraits get shrank down to 210 pixels in width.

• Like 5

I work at  4800 x 7540 pixels 200 dpi But the portraits get shrank down to 210 pixels in width.

...any.. any chance we'll ever get to see the portraits at full resolution...? That's just.. glorious.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

...any.. any chance we'll ever get to see the portraits at full resolution...? That's just.. glorious.

I had to ask about that and the reply I got was "Very unlikely"

Maybe the head guys would be willing to release them at a higher resolution but not the original size?  Something like 1200x1885 at 72ppi?

• Like 4

Maybe the head guys would be willing to release them at a higher resolution but not the original size?  Something like 1200x1885 at 72ppi?

I wonder if Collector's Book has any higher resolution portrait art in it.

I knew. I knew, but I had to ask.

Q_Q

t50aJUd.jpg

Some findings regarding resizing a large portrait into a small one (to keep proportions).

Large portraits are 210x330
Small portraits are 76x96

More here

What I had a lot of "difficulty" with (trial & error marking and resizing etc.) was, how do I shrink it the best way from the Large to the Small?

If you cut out/delete 68x330 from the bottom of the portrait (or, make another document with a one-colored 68x330 "block/brick"/masking).

Edited by Osvir