[435] Please Improve the Gib Animation :)

Sensuki

Question

In this video, I demonstrate a gib in Pillars of Eternity (it's at the end of the video). The gib pieces fly from the body up in the air and then sit on the ground, kind of like a spout. It doesn't look very good. The version in the first game trailer looked better (though very ridiculous).

The Infinity Engine gib animation is way better

In this video, you can see that the gib pieces fall to the ground first, directly from 'mid height' of the killed creature or whatever, and then they bounce from the ground - looks much cooler and impactful that way. The current version isn't very visceral, and the gibs flying up in the air for long periods of time is silly.

• Like 3

7 answers to this question

The infinity engine games have a lot to be proud of but I wouldn't really include the gibs in that category. The sheer height and slow arc of the PoE gibs is obviously quite exaggerated, but given that you can shoot a melon with .30-06 and get out two Mississipis before the last piece hits the ground I'm willing to give it the nod over Infinity Engine gibs that appear to be caught in an earthquake.

Edited by Whipstitch

We aren't?

I suggested that the gibs hit the ground much earlier like in the IE games, currently they go up in the air. Closer impact to the starting point would be more visceral/visible from the isometric perspective than the current FX for it.

Edited by Sensuki

The chunks should be larger and heavier. In its current state it looks odd that the enemy just disappear and 3 small meatballs go off into the air.

Would look and feel much better if the sum of the chunks sort of equaled to the mass of the enemy. Should not be too hard to scale the fx based on size of the UI halo by the feet. This, coupled with more gravity to the fx would do the trick.

I also think that creatures not made out of flesh should be immune to gibbing. Its common sense.

Edited by Striped_Wolf